PDA

View Full Version : UBR Capacity Upgrades

daveybm
23-10-2008, 11:02
Can anybody give me any info re UBR upgrades ? I have had lots of slow speeds over the past month or so (since the 4 - 10 Mb upgrades), have had an engineer out (who incidently lives a couple of streets away and is having the same problems) who checked everything out and made a phone call and said the problem was down to over utilization and that ubr upgrades will be carried out for this area (cpc3-birk2-0-0-cust***.bagu.cable.ntl.com) on 21 Oct and that things would improve then. I have checked the Virgin site but the only UBR upgrades appear to be for Liverpool etc. I'm on the 20Mb but sometimes struggle to reach 2Mb at other times I get 17-18Mb, in fact I've had my upload speed greater than my download speed on several occasions, upload is never less than 550Kb. What I would like to know is if these UBR upgrades are going to happen anytime soon?

Dave

Noggo
23-10-2008, 15:09
I would try asking the tech support peeps on Virgins support newsgroup:
virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

Setup instructions for outlook express can be found here:
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

You might get lucky and get someone to post back here. But the last time someone reported back with the status of an UBR, they got loads of other requests asking to check more UBR's on the network.

daveybm
23-10-2008, 15:57
OK thanks I'll give them a try

Dave

D.Casey
23-10-2008, 20:43
A quick ubr question

If a UBR is over-subscribed would this show on a tracert, such as high ms response?

Ignitionnet
23-10-2008, 21:18
A quick ubr question

If a UBR is over-subscribed would this show on a tracert, such as high ms response?

Yes, you'll see it stable-ish but higher than normal in the case of downstream congestion and all over the place in the case of upstream congestion.

D.Casey
24-10-2008, 00:33
Yes, you'll see it stable-ish but higher than normal in the case of downstream congestion and all over the place in the case of upstream congestion.

Thats what I don't understand, the ubr that myself & others who are having serious problems since may are on (can't use bb between 5 & 9 usually) .. the actual ubr on the trace route is:

Tracert ntl.com - taken when I was getting 0.4mb on the 20mb line

16ms 7ms 8ms 10.249.156.1
28ms 12ms 11ms nott-t2cam-a-v615.network.virginmedia.net
9ms 20ms 11ms not -t3core -1a-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net
14ms 13ms 22ms lee-bb-a-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net

its only the 4th line down on the tracert where it gets rough:

45ms 63ms ** man-bb-b-so-200-0.network.virginmedia.net
50ms 48ms 50ms win-bb-a-so-100-0.network.virginmedia.net
49ms 63ms 47ms win-dc-a-v903.network.virginmedia.net

Does that look like a over subscribed ubr? techs have been investigating it since may/june and can't seem to pinpoint the problem yet :(