PDA

View Full Version : 20meg speed trouble

Dazzle1969
23-10-2008, 11:09
I'm having trouble with speed with my 20meg and noticed:
Receive Power Level - 12.4 dBmV
Transmit Power Level - 50.0 dBmV

my modem is the WebSTAR EPC2100R2

Could the receive power level be too high as i've noticed everyone seems to have a far lower number and if so what do i do about it

Thanks

Darren

whydoIneedatech
23-10-2008, 11:33

Could the receive power level be too high as i've noticed everyone seems to have a far lower number and if so what do i do about it

Thanks

Darren
That is borderline low, and if you are having issues regarding speed then a call to Tech Support will probably be in order.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

pabscars
23-10-2008, 12:13
sorry to butt in guys, but i checked my power levels yesterday evening and got the following any onfo
my modem is a : euro-docsis 1.0/1.1/2.0 compliant
upstream transmit power level 51.5 dBmv
downstream recieved power level is minus (-1.5dBmv)

I,m on VM,s 20 meg service but get around half that when doing a quick speed test

whydoIneedatech
23-10-2008, 13:49
sorry to butt in guys, but i checked my power levels yesterday evening and got the following any onfo
my modem is a : euro-docsis 1.0/1.1/2.0 compliant
upstream transmit power level 51.5 dBmv
downstream recieved power level is minus (-1.5dBmv)

I,m on VM,s 20 meg service but get around half that when doing a quick speed test

As above give them a call.

pabscars
24-10-2008, 09:09
gave them a call,,,,,,, said power levels were fine???????????????

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 10:49
gave them a call,,,,,,, said power levels were fine???????????????
Di d they say what was causing your speed issue.

books
24-10-2008, 10:54

Thanks

DarrenWhat speeds are you actually getting, and are you sure it's not traffic managed speeds or just slow speeds from wherever is serving whatever you are downloading?

pabscars
24-10-2008, 11:11
in all fairness, i spoke to a gent in tech support and he said to ring back later from home, and he would have another look at it, he checked the modem power settings while i was on the phone and said they were fine, re speeds ive checked at all times during the day, weekends, mornings and evenings and never get a decent download speed, but normally get 700+ upload.
when i went home yesterday i fired up the pc, bearing in mind its connected wirelessly, and got a fluctuating 3 meg max, and an upload of about 500ish. this was the first time i had been online that day, so traffic management shouldnt have been an issue should it. when i first had VM BB installed i did do a speed test and got approx 12 meg, but ive never been able to get that since, it can be anywhere from 2.5meg to 8ish. how can you tell if you are being traffic managed?

books
24-10-2008, 11:56
I don't know if there is anything you can do to tell if you are being managed. I just know if I am because it's really obvious on my connection. Stuff either blasts down at almost the max speed of my connection, or it crawls down at a ridiculously reduced speed when I'm being traffic managed.

There are some things you can download that come from high speed servers so you know if it's crawling down at a slow speed, then you are being managed. Or you can do a speedtest.

It's possible you have a fault though, but something you could try would be doing a download or a speed test outside of traffic managed hours and when you haven't downloaded anything. So for example the traffic management starts at 10am, so if you can get up early and do a speed test and download some stuff before work at like 8am or something, then you know that you should be getting your full speed then. If you aren't, then either you have a fault, or you are just in a busy area with lots of contention. Something you can also try is plugging your PC straight into the cable modem, rather than going via your router. That just helps eliminate the router as a problem.

From what you said, the 2.5mbit speed sounds like what I get when I am being traffic managed. But the 8ish is a bit unusual sounding, because it's more than you can get while being managed, so if that was your normal then that would be really poor. And in that case I would be calling them up and asking for tech support and asking them to help to make it faster. I think on a 20mbit connection, anything around 16+ is ok in my opinion. Anything around 10 or less and it's a waste of time being on 20 in the first place.

pabscars
24-10-2008, 14:26
will take on board your advice, and will phone them up later today and post replies
thanks

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

right, i think i,m getting somewhere now, nipped home at lunch, flicked on the laptop, waited for a gazillion years for it to wake up, plugged it into the modem via ethernet and nothing.....

so booted up the wireless router, plugged in via ethernet again, did a speed test and the result was 17200 down and 711 up... WOW what a result (BACK OF THE NET)

removed the ethernet and tried wirelessly and the speed more than halved to 7.2 down but still 710 upload, so somehow it would appear i,m loosing 10 meg by being wireless, distance cant be the issue because i was less than 2 foot away from the router, so now i dont have a clue what to try next, obviously Virgin are upholding their end of the bargain, so Bo yakasha to VM,
next question is what can be done to improve wireless connectivity, ive tried all RF channels and they all appear to give the same results, ?????
i think i know what may be recommended (new router) right?

Gary L
24-10-2008, 14:31
Are you able to adjust the MTU settings in the router config?
I don't know if your TCP settings for the WiFi would need adjusting.

Try TCP/IP Optimizer?
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

pabscars
24-10-2008, 15:14
yes can adjust MTU settings in router, currently at 1500. will try tcp/ip optimizer and see how things pan out.
Gratsi

pabscars
27-10-2008, 12:43
Hi Gary L, thanks for your advice, it worked a treat, ran the TCP/IP Optimiser, and voila speed increased significantly, so i,ll buy you a pint at christmas lol.
i do have another question that may or may not be connected to this thread, apologies if not but here we go.
Playing on Call of Duty4 on xbox 360, i now have a good enough connection to host occasionally on team deathmatch's, however when i,m hosting the connection the opposing team get is fantastic and the one i and the rest of my team is laggy to say the least. after a short space of time it comes up with host ended game, when i havent.
i then get dissed by all in the lobby saying my connection sucks.
come on guys get your thinking caps on, if any of you can come up with a remedy i will invite you too have carnal relations with her indoors (40DD) as a thank you
ps thought that might get your brains into gear,

southwell
27-10-2008, 14:14
My mate couldn't connect to me last night, setup his port forwarding and we played fine!
Or put in the IP into DMZ.

pabscars
27-10-2008, 15:01
i already have my ports forwarded and triggered for xbox live, and have also tried DMZ, never seemed to make much difference though, will try again tonight to make sure, but last night some friends were breaking up when having discussions in a lobby, one thing i did last week was, in my netgear router settings there was a box to tick to (open NAT) which i ticked, expecting this to improve things further, even though my xbox's NAT status is OPEN already, ive noticed for quite a few weeks now that, even i can get booted out of games, or wont connect to friends games etc. It didnt seem to be a problem before on my ADSL line

southwell
27-10-2008, 15:03
Maybe it's your friends? Or maybe there is still an underlying problem on your line?

Cod can be dodgy for random disconnections but i never have problems on other games.

pabscars
27-10-2008, 15:12
one thing i did look at, was when i ran the TCP/IP Optimiser test it said the maximum MTU size without packet loss was something like 1474, but it still said i could stay at the current MTU of 1500, do you think they may be any worth in trying to reduce my MTU to this value on the router, or was this recommendation just for the laptop?
And is this likely to be of detriment to my online gaming on xbox 360.

Gary L
27-10-2008, 20:45
Hi Gary L, thanks for your advice, it worked a treat, ran the TCP/IP Optimiser, and voila speed increased significantly, so i,ll buy you a pint at christmas lol.

Can I swap it for carnal relations with her indoors instead? :)

glad to be of help.

pabscars
28-10-2008, 08:53
only if you can answer my last post ha ha

pabscars
04-11-2008, 14:06
found out last night that my UBR is over subscribed and is running over capacity 40% of the time, this explains all my issues regarding speed or should i say lack off.
got my bill reduced for the next couple of months though, just hope VM get it sorted asap, as last night my connection was all over the place on call of duty 4. Can anyone help me understand how slower broadband speeds can result in my NAT status on my xbox dashboard going from OPEN to STRICT and back to OPEN on its own ??? within the space of 10 minutes, when doing 3 back to back (test connection to xbox live) tests. i thought if you had a STRICT or MODERATE NAT that when you port forward the issue would be permanently sorted. ???

Gopher
04-11-2008, 18:15
Di d they say what was causing your speed issue.

They Have admitted to me that My area is "Over utilised" well I knew that and Half term just about killed my XL BB so i phoned and created merry hell
and have now got a discount off my VIP ( Very Inadequate Package ) until My ( Barnet ) UBR is Upgraded (Allegedly December 23!!!).

Rik
04-11-2008, 18:18
My ( Barnet ) UBR is Upgraded (Allegedly December 23!!!).

What a lovely Christmas present from VM ;)

pabscars
05-11-2008, 08:51
unfortunately, nothing is scheduled for my local ubr, but at least its now recognised as an issue, how do find out when the work is scheduled to be started, i was given a very rough date of possibly january or february.