PDA

View Full Version : Domain Issue

smiffo
23-10-2008, 10:02
Apologies if I am in the wrong place but I am pulling my hair out trying to sort out a problem. I came across this forum searching for NTL support.

We transferred a domain away from NTL, we had email and Internet hosted with them. Since we have changed the tag of the domain and started looking after it ourselves we have not been able to email any @ntl.com or @ntlworld.com email address. The bounceback I get from any email I send to either of these addresses is as below:

The mail system <p.f.thompson@ntlworld.com>: host smtpin.ntlworld.com[81.103.221.10] said: 550 you are not allowed to send mail to <p.f.thompson@ntlworld.com> (in reply to end of DATA command)

I have googled the error and also been emailing ntl on essentials.techsupport@ntl.com, I have sent an email every day for the last 3 days without reply. While we we transferring the domain they were replying within the hour, now I have an issue I get nothing. I have been emailing from another domain as obviously I can't from the one I am having issues with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of who to talk to or knows what the issue is and how to fix it then it will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Just as an extra I have checked the logs on our mail server and the mail is definitely leaving our system without any issues, so am pretty sure this is an NTL issue.

chickendippers
23-10-2008, 10:13
I've never heard of that email address before. Have you tried posting on the virginmedia.support.webspace newsgroup? http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

smiffo
23-10-2008, 10:22
That address came from when we were going through the process of changing the domain over, we were emailing them for support and was getting very quick replies from it.

Kymmy
23-10-2008, 10:24
The newsgroups will not deal with business technical queries

Call the business tech support on 0800 953 0180 and someone there should be able to help you.

In the mean time if you're trying to send the email through the NTL servers you must be connected via NTL broadband as the SMTP servers will not allow relaying. Try configuring the SMTP server to your current ISP's SMTP server. Some will allow this some wont

smiffo
23-10-2008, 10:26
We are sending through our own mail servers, our smtp server isn't set to NTL. I will try that number, thanks for your help.

Kymmy
23-10-2008, 10:32
So I take it that it's others sending you mail who gets the problem?? In that case it seems that the domain has already been removed from NTL's SMTP servers but as the MX record still points to NTL it's gone no further..

Anyway that number is the tech support for business accounts (as you had the domain with them I presume it was a business account as residential doesn't allow associated domains)

smiffo
23-10-2008, 10:43
No apologies if I was unclear, it is whenever we send out from our machines we get that error. The MX records point to our own mail servers (mail.nolcom.com). That bounceback I have put above is what I get whenever emailing any @ntl.com or @ntlworld.com address. It is proving a problem as we have mailshots to send to customers etc!

Kymmy
23-10-2008, 10:49
Sounds then possibly nothing to do with the domain but actually more likely to be a blacklisted IP or something else causing the NTL server to reject your smtp requests. Have you checked the RBL's to see if your domain IP is a problem??