PDA

View Full Version : SNR Issue.

AlbionDaz
20-10-2008, 23:16
Hi Guys.

A Virgin techie on the News Server,has replied to me about my problem,it seems I have a intermittent SNR issue on my UBR,what does it mean and is it usually fixed pretty quickly,as I have only been a customer a few months and the 1st month aside,its been pretty awful being with VM so far?

Axegrinder
21-10-2008, 08:39
Please post your modem stats. ;)

Username and password if required both "root" without quotes.

Do NOT post your MAC address or serial number.

whydoIneedatech
21-10-2008, 13:20
Hi Guys.

A Virgin techie on the News Server,has replied to me about my problem,it seems I have a intermittent SNR issue on my UBR,what does it mean and is it usually fixed pretty quickly,as I have only been a customer a few months and the 1st month aside,its been pretty awful being with VM so far?
It will cause you to have an intermittent connection issues and probably suffer from constant disconnections and looking in the modem config pages will not tell you anything as its an SNR issue on the uBR and modem SNR and power levels tend to look normal.

Ignitionnet
21-10-2008, 13:22
What he said, you can only see your downstream SNR on your modem, upstream SNR which is where these issues tend to be is only visible to VM.

whydoIneedatech
21-10-2008, 13:27
What he said, you can only see your downstream SNR on your modem, upstream SNR which is where these issues tend to be is only visible to VM.
Is that what I meant, thanks for the information regarding it being Upstream SNR.;)

Kymmy
21-10-2008, 13:53
I have a intermittent SNR issue on my UBR,what does it mean

In simple terms, the signal coming down the cable is measured in relation to the static on the cable, this give you your SNR (signal to noise ratio). If the ratio is low then that means that the signal might be lost.

If you think about it like one voice in a crowd, as long as the crown whispers you can hear the one voice, but if either the one voice goes lower or the crowd goes higher you'll lose the one distinct voice.

That's happening every now and them on your signal hence it'll cause the modem to lose track of the signal :)

whydoIneedatech
21-10-2008, 14:47
In simple terms, the signal coming down the cable is measured in relation to the static on the cable, this give you your SNR (signal to noise ratio). If the ratio is low then that means that the signal might be lost.

If you think about it like one voice in a crowd, as long as the crowd whispers you can here the one voice, but if either the one voice goes lower or the crowd goes higher you'll lose the one distinct voice.

That's happening every now and them on your signal hence it'll cause the modem to lose track of the signal :)
Nice analogy, easy to understand.;)

xspeedyx
21-10-2008, 16:03

If you think about it like one voice in a crowd, as long as the crowd whispers you can here the one voice, but if either the one voice goes lower or the crowd goes higher you'll lose the one distinct voice.

I dont understand :confused: (joking)

AlbionDaz
22-10-2008, 14:45
Thanks for help :)