PDA

View Full Version : time limit to be taken to court

kennybird
20-10-2008, 14:57
hi all can anyone tell me if there is a time limit to be taken to court as i was stopped in april the 6th allegedly for speeding and dangerous driving on my motorcycle the police in an unmarked police car when they stopped me i got no ticket and they said they had me on camera but never showed me it when i asked to see it reason i increased my speed i thought the silver skoda they were driving was going to knock me off my bike as they sped up behind me and was inches away from my back tyre they said i was doing 88 mph in a 60 and that i overtoke a bus on a corner when in fact they overtook the bus on the corner because i overtook the bus on a straight bit of road before the corner can anyone tell me if what they done was legal and can they take me to court 191 day later and i still havent heard anything:shocked:

Russ
20-10-2008, 14:59
Moved to Lifestyle.

fireman328
20-10-2008, 15:08
I would imagine that they have decided not to pusue the matter for many reasons, could be that the radar device was defective or decided they would be better employed drinking tea in the canteen.

Chris
20-10-2008, 15:12
hi all can anyone tell me if there is a time limit to be taken to court as i was stopped in april the 6th allegedly for speeding and dangerous driving on my motorcycle the police in an unmarked police car when they stopped me i got no ticket and they said they had me on camera but never showed me it when i asked to see it reason i increased my speed i thought the silver skoda they were driving was going to knock me off my bike as they sped up behind me and was inches away from my back tyre they said i was doing 88 mph in a 60 and that i overtoke a bus on a corner when in fact they overtook the bus on the corner because i overtook the bus on a straight bit of road before the corner can anyone tell me if what they done was legal and can they take me to court 191 day later and i still havent heard anything:shocked:

It's likely they have no evidence, and never did. If they were going to pursue you you would probably have had a ticket there and then. You got pulled over and a verbal dressing down because it was all they were able to do to you.

In any case, I believe there is a limit on the use of speeding evidence ... certainly there is in respect of camera evidence. Perhaps someone else here knows what it is?

kennybird
20-10-2008, 15:17
when i was stopped they charged me at the roadside they never had me in the back of their car and never had to produce any documents they did everything through their radio

Derek
20-10-2008, 15:19
can anyone tell me if what they done was legal

Yes, it was legal.

There are limits on most Road Traffic issues and if you haven't gotten any notification by now you probably won't. Unless of course you've actively avoided the matter by moving, refusing to respond to letters etc.

Halcyon
20-10-2008, 15:19
Are you sure they were actually police officers ?!

kennybird
20-10-2008, 15:23
yes they were police officers the ones with the white hats and no i,ve not moved or avoided any letters and when on their radio it came back that the bike was registered to me and that it was taxed and motd and that i was a full license holder

Graham M
20-10-2008, 15:24
They were just checking the bike wasn't stolen at that it was licensed then?

demented
20-10-2008, 15:42
Sounds very suspicious to me if you weren't given any papers. Sounds like a few undercover cops having a play around to me.

I don't think there is a time limit for dangerous driving. Things can be a long time. When my ex had an accident a motorcyclist was prosecuted for having no insurance and careless driving (I think) and it was many months before it went to court. With speeding summons or points tend to dealt with pretty speedily.

Kymmy
20-10-2008, 16:09
Did they caution you that you will be reported for said offence??? If so then that caution replaces any NIP that has to be issued within 14 days. From time of caution/NIP I believe that it's 6 months that they have to issue a summons..

It gets talked about a lot on the bike forums I admin on

Graham M
20-10-2008, 16:45
It gets talked about a lot on the bike forums I admin on

I wonder why :D

Kymmy
20-10-2008, 17:28
I wonder why :D

Actually it's not too bad on the forum as they're both Large Trails bike forums

Super Tenere Owners club (http://www.xtz750.com)
and
Africa Twin Owners forum (http://www.xrv.org.uk)

Big trailies don't tend to be used for speed unlike the power rangers (sports bike owners so called because of thier brightly covered one piece leathers :p: )

fireman328
20-10-2008, 17:55
I believe there are statutes of limitations after a set time but I dont the time.

haydnwalker
20-10-2008, 18:14
Don't you normally get a hand-written NIP from a road-side stop if they were going to prosecute - I do understand though that getting to court can take various amounts of time depending on the courts availability etc.

I might be completely wrong though - but I would have asked for it in writing anyway to prove it.

Kymmy
20-10-2008, 18:26
Don't you normally get a hand-written NIP from a road-side stop if they were going to prosecute - I do understand though that getting to court can take various amounts of time depending on the courts availability etc.

I might be completely wrong though - but I would have asked for it in writing anyway to prove it.

I believe a verbal "I intend to report you" is enough to replace the NIP though unsure as to whether the person has to be given a written notice of the verbal notice...

kennybird
20-10-2008, 22:57
you know what traffic cops are like, 1 of them that stopped me had barely started shaving he looked about 19/20 but wouldnt show me the evidence they say they had on their camera they did have a video camera placed next to rear veiw mirror but i had three mates with me on their bikes and they said it was the police that was driving dangerous by overtaking on a blind corner:shocked:

Derek
21-10-2008, 19:22
you know what traffic cops are like

Yes I do. They spend a considerable amount of time picking bits of motorcyclist up off roads when they think a layer of leather and a helmet makes them immune to damage when they come off their bike at 100MPH and tend to have a sense of humour bypass when they see crap driving/riding skills.

they said it was the police that was driving dangerous by overtaking on a blind corner:shocked:

Uh huh. *IF* they did make some kind of unorthodox maneuver in order to catch up with you does that tell you:

A: They are a bunch of vodka swigging and coke snorting adrenaline junkies just itching to kill themselves and members of the public.

or

B: You're driving/riding was poor enough that it warranted catching up with you, pulling you over, giving you a verbal kicking and thinking about taking formal action against you.

Quick question. Have you ridden differently in the last 6 months thinking you had a court case possibly coming up?

kennybird
21-10-2008, 19:39
when i overtook the bus on a straight road and didnt put myself or anyone else for that matter yes they did put other road users at risk and it was not that i was riding my bike like some track racer the reason for the speeding at 88 as i though the silver unmarked skoda was going to run over the top of me :angel:

Derek
21-10-2008, 19:42
when i overtook the bus on a straight road and didnt put myself or anyone else for that matter yes they did put other road users at risk and it was not that i was riding my bike like some track racer the reason for the speeding at 88 as i though the silver unmarked skoda was going to run over the top of me :angel:

Why were they wanting to pull you over in the first place? Did they have a sixth sense you were going to speed away from them or had you done something a bit dodgy earlier on?

The Police (normally) don't just pull over people for no reason. They *never* make dangerous maneuvers in order to catch up with someone unless they have a reason to.

kennybird
21-10-2008, 20:01
no they never said and i suppose if i wanted to ride like a track racer they probably would never have caught up with me but i dont ride like that ok we all go over the speed limit but not to the extent of the bikes top speed (180) mph i just took it they didnt like bikes as i wasnt speeding or driving dangerous as they said i wasnt over 60 before they were behind me i only increased my speed to avoid them running over the top of me i do relise the cops do have a terrible job of scraping people off the road

Escapee
21-10-2008, 20:09
Why were they wanting to pull you over in the first place? Did they have a sixth sense you were going to speed away from them or had you done something a bit dodgy earlier on?

The Police (normally) don't just pull over people for no reason. They *never* make dangerous maneuvers in order to catch up with someone unless they have a reason to.

Derek, I would not disagree with what you have posted here at all.

However, I had an incident a few years ago where I was driving up a dual carraigeway around midnight at 65MPH. I noticed that a car was fast approaching behind me at excessive speed, at the last moment just before impact it swerved to the outside lane.

I could see something on the roof and thought it was just another mad taxi driver. I had also swerved onto the hard shoulder that was about half a cars width. The erratic drive slammed on his brakes whilst alongside me and then pulled in behind me, at this point I realised it was not a dangerous taxi driver but dangerous police driver.

The car followed me for about half a mile off the dual carraigeway and then put on its flashing light and pulled me over. The copper had the cheek to suggest he had stopped me because my driving was erratic.

I was not amused and had been quite shaken by the incident, I told him and his mate exactly what I thought of their actions and that I had only swerved because I thought they were going to ram me.

To my surprise they apologised told me to be on my way and didn't even ask for my documents etc.

I guess it is a strange story, but a very true one.

kennybird
21-10-2008, 20:29
so after 192 days do you think they can still take me to court about this or do you think they were just bluffing to keep up there numbers

Escapee
21-10-2008, 20:30
so after 192 days do you think they can still take me to court about this or do you think they were just bluffing to keep up there numbers

Not sure if it would help their numbers if they didn't get a conviction.

Derek
21-10-2008, 20:32

No. Unless you've actively taken steps to avoid court like ignoring paperwork you won't hear anymore about it.

kennybird
21-10-2008, 20:52
the number of people they stopped even just for a check as they do sometimes and then find something wrong with their vehicle

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

cheers derek its a load off my mind to argue with cops is bad enough, but in court scares me, are you in the police yourself or is it you just know the law