PDA

View Full Version : Free wireless router woes

JPF
20-10-2008, 10:44
Hello,

I'm been with VM for a few weeks and am struggling to get my free wireless router. The installation guy didn't bring one and blamed sales for not putting it on the job sheet. I rang customer services and was then told that's not how it works, one has been dispatched separately as they come via normal mail. A week goes by and I'm on the phone again (about something else) and query the router; told this time that it doesn't look like one was sent, so they'll do it now... I'll believe it when I see it.

Is there a trick to this? Anyway of actually finding out if one is on it's way? I don't really want to go out and buy one as I selected the free router option on ordering, however, I'm missing my network...

Thanks,

JPF

whydoIneedatech
20-10-2008, 11:12
Hello,

I'm been with VM for a few weeks and am struggling to get my free wireless router. The installation guy didn't bring one and blamed sales for not putting it on the job sheet. I rang customer services and was then told that's not how it works, one has been dispatched separately as they come via normal mail. A week goes by and I'm on the phone again (about something else) and query the router; told this time that it doesn't look like one was sent, so they'll do it now... I'll believe it when I see it.

Is there a trick to this? Anyway of actually finding out if one is on it's way? I don't really want to go out and buy one as I selected the free router option on ordering, however, I'm missing my network...

Thanks,

JPF
The routers always come separately via UPS and not with the installation engineer and should take between 3 and 5 working days to arrive.

If it does not arrive just keep ringing up to get one sent as it is part of your deal.

JPF
20-10-2008, 13:35
Thanks for the info.

MojoUK
20-10-2008, 15:57
Did you not get everything come in one big box, & you install it yourself? When I joined Virgin, got everything I needed (including router) in one big box via UPS within a week. :)

chickendippers
20-10-2008, 15:59
Mine arrived by courier a day or two before the installation date.

JPF
20-10-2008, 16:42
Apparently it came today (UPS) - the wife didn't hear the doorbell! :mad: Anyway, they're coming back tomorrow... Thanks for the replies! JPF

kraized
21-10-2008, 14:25
Is the free wireless router only for new customers?

zing_deleted
21-10-2008, 14:35
Tip to anyone thinking of going with the free router is if you want any true measure of control over it then buy one from elsewhere

Jonnymeg
21-10-2008, 19:41
The routers always come separately via UPS and not with the installation engineer and should take between 3 and 5 working days to arrive.

If it does not arrive just keep ringing up to get one sent as it is part of your deal.

NOT TRUE.

This used to be the case but VM realized that they were paying UPS to deliver items the installers could take with them.
If you a are having an installation via an tech rather than a self install then he will bring the router with him. But as you have seen this only happens if the job is booked correctly.

VM can still send routers through the post in cases such as this but since july they are now delivered by techs. However techs DO NOT install the router, it is a delivery only.

whydoIneedatech
21-10-2008, 19:47
NOT TRUE.

This used to be the case but VM realized that they were paying UPS to deliver items the installers could take with them.
If you a are having an installation via an tech rather than a self install then he will bring the router with him. But as you have seen this only happens if the job is booked correctly.

VM can still send routers through the post in cases such as this but since july they are now delivered by techs. However techs DO NOT install the router, it is a delivery only.
And you still expect Customer Services to always book a job correctly, bet you cannot say that in the same breath as Failed Move and Transfer.:D

Jonnymeg
21-10-2008, 20:03
And you still expect Customer Services to always book a job correctly, bet you cannot say that in the same breath as Failed Move and Transfer.:D

They drive you nuts don't they.

whydoIneedatech
21-10-2008, 20:37
They drive you nuts don't they.
I find them amusing at times, but at other times I find them annoying, I think you can guess the percentage.

JayJay
22-10-2008, 21:12
We do carry the wireless routers but they also pop them in the post. I haven't worked out why they do this but either way if we haven't got one on the van, 9/10 we haven't. (there is always that 1/10 that pulls a fast one).

tbh, buy yourself one from a PC shop, if you want full control over it that is.

360z
31-10-2008, 16:00
i got told i cant have one as i am on a staff package.....lol

looks like i will need to go buy one...

so much for working for VM

xspeedyx
31-10-2008, 18:05
i got told i cant have one as i am on a staff package.....lol

looks like i will need to go buy one...

so much for working for VM

You get pretty much everything for £10 why you complaining about, the VM router has its own buggy firmware which cnt be flashed so its best to buy your own plus its only a G router so 20Mb isnt that great on the router

360z
31-10-2008, 18:10
true enough...haha

its £15 actually with my v+ ;)

zing_deleted
31-10-2008, 18:15
You get pretty much everything for £10 why you complaining about, the VM router has its own buggy firmware which cnt be flashed so its best to buy your own plus its only a G router so 20Mb isnt that great on the router

yes it can allegedly

if you buy N rating you need N rating adapters and your now costing a small fortune :)

xspeedyx
31-10-2008, 19:17
yes it can allegedly

if you buy N rating you need N rating adapters and your now costing a small fortune :)

Always best to be furture proof tho eh? zingle

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

true enough...haha

its £15 actually with my v+ ;)

£20 with 2 V+ boxes lol

360z
31-10-2008, 19:34
i got quoted an extra £9 for a standard box upstairs :(