PDA

View Full Version : 10 mb is shockingly bad after 4pm on wards

arch101
20-10-2008, 01:59
been like this ever since the upgrade

clearly they have no resource/capacity management in place

yes its more than apparant its an over population issue given the time period it occurs.....but this is just silly, especially when i was on 4mb last year about 2 streets away from where i am now and i had a latency that constantly stayed low even in peak hours

a screen shot of this forum page worth of complaints might be worth emailing virgin.....not that they'd do anything, after all its all about the profit, no care for the customers in a money based society

Tarantella
20-10-2008, 10:11
Evenings and weekends seem to be very variable in connection quality. The degraded service can cause interrupts and cessations in iPlayer even if that is all you are using on the computer, even if it is only a radio channel that you are listening too, even if you are not under STM restrictions.

If the degraded service is caused by having too many customers on the same box then surely there must be a technical answer to this problem.

D.Casey
20-10-2008, 10:15
Im in the same boat as you mate, I was told on friday by a VM employee that 2mb (on a 20mb) connection is fine at peak hours(4-9pm) as I pay for "up to 20mb" and in area's of quite big usage its what I should expect.

jellyfish
20-10-2008, 10:22
join the club, shocking at times guess just got to live with it.

nutellajunkie
20-10-2008, 10:56
Hmm, I never seem to get a bad connection or speed :) NEVER EVER EVER EVUUUUR! :P

arch101
20-10-2008, 12:15
fact is we shouldn't have to "live with it" as there is more than enough resources available to them that would allow for consistency for everyone......bu like i already said it all comes down to profit, its a flawed system which coincidentally enough is also why the economy is screwed at the moment, with the way the money system works it will never be anything but screwed but those at the top as far as money goes...aren't going to want things to change

prety pointless preaching here though, but its just annoying how greed screws over everyone

D.Casey
20-10-2008, 13:17
fact is we shouldn't have to "live with it" as there is more than enough resources available to them that would allow for consistency for everyone......bu like i already said it all comes down to profit, its a flawed system which coincidentally enough is also why the economy is screwed at the moment, with the way the money system works it will never be anything but screwed but those at the top as far as money goes...aren't going to want things to change

prety pointless preaching here though, but its just annoying how greed screws over everyone

I think its the luck of the draw regarding when you call up, sometimes you get people that are really helpfull & will bend over backwards to help you... then alotta other times you get people that seem depressed to be in their job & basically are rude/don't care... hence the lad that told me 2mb on a 20mb line is perfectly exceptable at peak times.

Other time's i've called up & you'll get somebody that will send a tech, monitor your line, offer a partial refund until the problems fixed etc.

When you finally do get somebody that is willing to listen & help.. you do appreciate what a good service vm offer.

VM should send a "was you satisfied with how we dealt with your problem" form out after you've been in contact, this would soon highlight the vm employee's who just don't care.

Magilla
20-10-2008, 17:22
Im in the same boat as you mate, I was told on friday by a VM employee that 2mb (on a 20mb) connection is fine at peak hours(4-9pm) as I pay for "up to 20mb" and in area's of quite big usage its what I should expect.

Since they have multiple tiers of service it would not be unreasonable to expect that you should be getting *at least* what the tier below yours should be getting.

If you were on 10Mb they might have a point, but to say 2Mb on the 20Mb service is acceptable is clearly nonsense.

If it's any consolation, my 10Mb service is now considerably worse than it ever was on 4Mb, my average speed seems to be around 1.5Mb.

Currently VM seem to be going on an avoidance practice. You report the problem, they say it's their fault. You ask billing for a reduction and they tell you they have no record of the fault being reported and want you to ring faults again, then the circle continues forever.

Obviously the upgrade has been a bit of a disaster in regards to the standard of service across all tiers.

ccarmock
20-10-2008, 18:06
I've had the same issues on the business 10 Mb/s service. During the day it's very fast, however int he evenings/weekends it slows to around 1-2 Mb/s

Afters peakign to business faults they either tell me there are no issues, or that there is a high TX load, but they have no date to fix that by as yet. They called me back today to say much the same.

Before the 4->10 Mb/s upgrades were done it was absolutely fine.

I'm on a UBR in New Malden.