PDA

View Full Version : VM Quickstart Broadband + Wireless Router

yazza34
19-10-2008, 21:19
Hiyya all, i am new to this forum and recently new to VM. I signed up to the V+ service about a month ago, very impressed! So i thought i would upgrade to the broadband service as well. Today i went into the VM store in Basingstoke and was really looked after by the "sales executive" (as i would call her lol). I came away with a quickstart pack which seemed very easy to set up. After setting it all up i called VM to activate my broadband, only to be told my modem is not listed as being able to make connection yet. I would have to wait 24hrs before it is active. Has anybody else had this problem? Also, the wireless router i recieved (netgear WGR614 54Mbps) as not come with any paperwork. Is this normal? Thanks in advance. Ben :)

homealone
19-10-2008, 21:46
hi

:welcome:

It sometimes happens that modems are issued that haven't had their 'MAC' address added to the pool associated with being identified as legitimate VM hardware - this may have happened in your case & presumably the people responsible for doing that work don't work weekends.???

As for the router, I'm not sure what you mean by 'paperwork' - some stuff like a manual is available here

http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/default.asp?question_box=WGR614+&collections=kb_file%2Cdatasheets&ui_mode=question&x=77&y=23&collection_restriction=docs

yazza34
19-10-2008, 21:49
Ahh i understand now about the modem! Didnt really understand what the people were saying on the phone lol.

As regards paperwork, a couple of years back when i owned a netgear router i had to install a disc onto my computer and read loads of paperwork to work out how to set it up, i guess thats just the improvement of technology over the years.

Thanks for the rapid response, i guess i will just have to wait until tomorrow to get my PS3 running online!

:)

homealone
19-10-2008, 21:56
Ahh i understand now about the modem! Didnt really understand what the people were saying on the phone lol.

As regards paperwork, a couple of years back when i owned a netgear router i had to install a disc onto my computer and read loads of paperwork to work out how to set it up, i guess thats just the improvement of technology over the years.

Thanks for the rapid response, i guess i will just have to wait until tomorrow to get my PS3 running online!

Most routers will work 'out of the box' with the default settings for wired connections, the complications of setting up secure wireless are another matter, which I'm not the best person to advise about, however ..

whydoIneedatech
19-10-2008, 21:59

The should be an installation disk with the router if not you can follow the instructions below.

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

All you now need to connect your PS3 is your networks name and your new password.
But you would have a better and more stable gaming experience if you used a long ethernet cable rather than going wireless.

yazza34
20-10-2008, 18:13
Virgin still havent got me connected, i dont think, so can i connect my netgear router and set that up?

whydoIneedatech
20-10-2008, 18:26
Virgin still havent got me connected, i dont think, so can i connect my netgear router and set that up?
Have you rung up again on 0800 953 9500 to the Quickstart department.

yazza34
20-10-2008, 18:32
Have you rung up again on 0800 953 9500 to the Quickstart department.

Yes, several times only to be told to wait for somebody from admin to get back to me. The last guy said he would hurry things up bit this seems to have done no good so far. Up until i ordered BB thought customer service was excellant, now im thinking otherwise lol.