PDA

View Full Version : VM throttling certain sites

Fspiders
19-10-2008, 18:04
VM have now started throttling my premium account on megashares to 1/4 of my package speed.

I realised this when I compared a download from megashare and then tried the same file using relakks (which is a company that hides your activity from your isp and gives you a new secure ip). Using rellaks VM cannot tell what I am downloading nor where I am downloading from.

Using rellaks I get my download at full speed.

Late last week I complained to VM and their response was that I was abusing my account by downloading massive files of 7.4gig, sometimes more than once even twice a week from this one site though they would neither confirm nor deny they were throttling my dl speed from MS. Pretty obvious to me.

They even asked what I was dl from MS.. I told em straight xbox360 games and xvids... Spent the next ten minutes arguing over the legality of my downloads LOL.

Luckily rapidshare split their files making it harder for VM to throttle.

Anyone else noticed this?

Tarantella
19-10-2008, 19:18
Im not sure but I'd like the certain cachet of being told Im 'abusing' my 2mb account. ;)

Richy99
20-10-2008, 13:51
its more likely the server doing the throttling of the connection rather than VM

Kymmy
20-10-2008, 13:54
But 1/4 of package speed does sound like STM

dev
20-10-2008, 13:57
that isn't evidence of throttling, that is just evidence that one router can be faster than another route which is pretty obvious :p:

Kymmy
20-10-2008, 14:06
Could then I suppose be a bottleneck on the direct connection that is being bypassed when he uses the proxy...

Either way it's still not proof that VM is port/location throttling