PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Cable Broadband - what I've got going so far

Turkey Machine
19-10-2008, 03:27
LTRFTW, at least since I moved into a cable area. :)

I moved into a nice family-run halls of residence, which has cable equipment installed. The previous tenants in my house had ntl or VM cable broadband, at 2 Mbit down, 200 Kbit up. It's connected via an ntl 250 modem to a Belkin router via Ethernet, that I think was bought separately. They still have this operational, since we in our flat can access the internet currently, without any problems, and I'm typing this at some ungodly hour using said connection. BitTorrent works perfectly late at night, which I'm SO happy about, as my last connection was utter rubbish generally. :mad:

I've recently ordered and taken delivery of, 10 Mbit (L) broadband and M cable TV. It's about £27 a month including an £11 phone line which won't be used because we have foreign students who will no doubt want to phone home. Skype is your friend. :D

I rang the Virgin number in the quickstart guide (0845 454 1111), and tried to get the modem already installed activated to my account. I figured why bother installing new equipment when the existing stuff works fine, without problems (though the router will probably be changed at some point because it needs resetting infrequently), and I'm happy with what we have. I asked them whether 10 Mbit would work through the ntl 250 modem, and the lady on the end of the phone couldn't give me the answer I was after. :mad::mad::mad:

So I'm asking you kind folks. :angel: Is it gonna be possible to receive 10 Mbit, considering the 250 is currently set at 2 Mbit? We received an Ambit VM-branded 256 modem. Is it worth connecting this 256 up and ringing them tomorrow when I have free weekend minutes on my PAYG mobile, or have I got to wait til Monday morning to get this thing sorted?

The other thing I've noticed is that Virgin are advertising unlimited broadband (I keep seeing billboards and bus shelter ads and TV ads for it), but from what I've read this is actually not the case, and they are restricting traffic for many hours during the day, and realistically, you only get about 6-8 hours with a full connection. Would we have a case to take them to court over it, possibly in conjunction with rival ISPs, over the blatant false advertising they're doing? I'm not a lawyer, but opinions are welcome. :)

Regards,

Turkey Machine

frogstamper
19-10-2008, 03:54
In my opinion mate I'd connect the 256, its VMs latest modem and will cope comfortably with 20mb so 10mb won't be a problem.
The old 250 is getting on now so I'd retire it.:)
As regards the "unlimited" BB that has to be one of the most discussed threads on the site, personally I don't think they will be able to get away with semantics like that for much longer, because its patently not unlimited.

BTW welcome to CF:welcome:

xspeedyx
19-10-2008, 11:07
You should use the new modem as thats your equipment now and its better than the old equipment, plus the unlimited usage means you can continue downloading even if you hit the current STM limit (I dont agree with it but thats another story) so as long as VM dont advertise unmetered speed then they are fine no court or the asa will slap the wrist for this, however with the new ofcom ruling they might have to drop the unlimited part

Turkey Machine
19-10-2008, 11:30
You should use the new modem as thats your equipment now and its better than the old equipment, plus the unlimited usage means you can continue downloading even if you hit the current STM limit (I dont agree with it but thats another story) so as long as VM dont advertise unmetered speed then they are fine no court or the asa will slap the wrist for this, however with the new ofcom ruling they might have to drop the unlimited part

"Unlimited" (in my interpretation) implies you can download as much as you like at the connection you signed up to. If that's not the case, they should specify it in the T+Cs, or the small-print of the ads they keep churning out.

I'm gonna connect the shiny new modem today. :D Is it still worth me ringing up the activation team?

whydoIneedatech
19-10-2008, 11:35
"Unlimited" (in my interpretation) implies you can download as much as you like at the connection you signed up to. If that's not the case, they should specify it in the T+Cs, or the small-print of the ads they keep churning out.

I'm gonna connect the shiny new modem today. :D Is it still worth me ringing up the activation team?
The modem will not work unless you call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 remember to take a note of the HFC MAC address on the base of the modem so they can add it to your account.

They do publicise their Traffic Management check the links below.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Axegrinder
19-10-2008, 11:38
The old 250 is getting on now so I'd retire it.:)

The Ambit 250 is fine for all services apart from 50mb. ;)

Turkey Machine
19-10-2008, 11:53
The modem will not work unless you call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 remember to take a note of the HFC MAC address on the base of the modem so they can add it to your account.

They do publicise their Traffic Management check the links below.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Thank you, you've been very helpful. I'll do that shortly.

As for the traffic management, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to start *another* debate about false advertising, as such, but the fact they even have to use such a policy implies there's something majorly wrong with their services! :dozey:

I don't have much of a problem with FUP, I'm a reasonably heavy downloader, and do the bulk of my downloading via the university's ultra-fast broadband; I think rarely would I download a lot via VM, it'd be mostly online gaming (I'm a keen sim racer, got a 1000 km race at Bathurst coming up next weekend) and general browsing, the odd (no more than 5-10 a day) YouTube video. The only issue I can see is that it's 6 of us sharing the same connection, which is why I plumped for 10 Mbit. If I'm not getting that, and I'll know by the end of the week, I'm going to be asking questions. :cool:

Speaking of university broadband, you want a fast connection that's 24-7 reliable, has no throttling other than it slowing down due to what people are connected to it, and no STM or FUP? How's 4 Megabytes per second (32 Mbit roughly, and I've had more) from Microsoft's server (an example of an ultra-fast server on the internet) downstream, and 4 Megabytes up (again, 32 Mbit) via BitTorrent, *at the same time*, float your boat? The only restriction is you're connected via 100 Mbit LAN IIRC. I have at one point downloaded about 2 GB via BitTorrent (Linux ISO for my course) in 30 minutes. If only they could offer the service to students halls of residence..... that would make us all very very happy! :D

Turkey Machine
19-10-2008, 18:29
OK, I rang the activation line, and they were unable to activate the 250 modem to my account. Said I gotta wait a few days. In the mean-time, it still works, so how hard can it be to transfer one modem from one account (previous tenants, names unknown) to another?

whydoIneedatech
19-10-2008, 18:36
OK, I rang the activation line, and they were unable to activate the 250 modem to my account. Said I gotta wait a few days. In the mean-time, it still works, so how hard can it be to transfer one modem from one account (previous tenants, names unknown) to another?

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

We received an Ambit VM-branded 256 modem. Is it worth connecting this 256 up and ringing them tomorrow when I have free weekend minutes on my PAYG mobile, or have I got to wait til Monday morning to get this thing sorted?

The NTL 250 will probably no longer exist on the system and its only use is as a Doorstop, you said you had a Brand New Ambit 256 this is the only modem you should be trying to activate.

Turkey Machine
19-10-2008, 18:37
---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

The NTL 250 will probably no longer exist on the system and its only use is as a Doorstop, you said you had a Brand New Ambit 256 this is the only modem you should be trying to activate.

I think I need to get some sleep and do this tomorrow when I'm more refreshed! ;)

But if it doesn't exist on the system, how come it's still working and internet is still connected?! The mind boggles.....

whydoIneedatech
19-10-2008, 18:45
I think I need to get some sleep and do this tomorrow when I'm more refreshed! ;)

But if it doesn't exist on the system, how come it's still working and internet is still connected?! The mind boggles.....
I did say probably not exist on the system, they cannot transfer a modem from a working account to another account, you appear to have an anomaly as in who's name is that NTL250 account.

Turkey Machine
19-10-2008, 18:49
I did say probably not exist on the system, they cannot transfer a modem from a working account to another account, you appear to have an anomaly as in who's name is that NTL250 account.

Yep, I need sleep. Gotta read more carefully. I shall ring tomorrow with the new modem connected and see what happens from there. Doubtless I shall update the thread accordingly! :)

jcuk
19-10-2008, 19:42
Hi & welcome to cable forum.

The issue you had, as stated above, the 250 is connected to a billing account at that address. Ideally we can only have 1 active billing account per address, so either the previous residents have not canceled their account or its pending disconnection. (probably why u were asked to call back).

If you have been given an account no. + details with your name on it, then id call and get your 256 registered to that.

Regardless the 250 can handle up to 20Mb fine, however id still recommend registering the 256 onto your account and dispose of the 250 once yours is active.

Thanks,

- J

Turkey Machine
27-10-2008, 09:57
So, after connecting up the 256 modem, ringing the Quickstart hotline, and being put through to a (shock horror) UK call centre (with a nice Liverpool lad helping me out down the phone), I now have a 10Mbit service with 512Kbit upload. Hmm. 20:1 down:up. Seems normal for cable, but after a few years on ADSL, I think I've been spoiled! Time to face up to what's reality for the next 9-10 months! STM probably daily, mighty fast torrenting overnight if I get to it, and a modem that'll surely be more toasty than the 250! :D