PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent Loss of Internet

cableguy3
18-10-2008, 08:58
Hi,

Anyone else suffering loss of internet intermittently (I am in Kingston upon Thames)? For the last few weeks my modem and STB have not been aquiring (it's an on and off problem) a DHCP address which some how suddenly resolves itself for a day/half a day then drop off again.

I have called support but they are less than helpful and there seem to be no reported problems in the KT area.

It has obviously affected my internet connection but I have also noticed that I am being dropped out of Xbox Live games which never happened before in X years of using VM/NTL/TW.....

Now, only possibly reasons for this I can think of is that there has been work in the area which is effecting my connection and they don't know about it *or* my MAC / IP address is being hijacked either deliberately or by accident.

Anyone else having problems? I wonder if I should just call up and get a new modem and MAC?

Thanks

Cable Guy

laptopsrd
18-10-2008, 09:59
Not the only one having these problems. I keep losing mine and i'm in RG24. Same experience as you tbh.. phone faults.. please unplug your modem, undo the Co-ax, re-connect both.. up it comes.. "there you are sir.. enjoy your broadband" I keep trying to say i'm doing that almost once a day for the last 4 weeks but no ones interested. that said.. they replaced the modem last saturday as "your modem has a fault" well its better.. tis now only every other day!

Not sure where to turn next!

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

and then it just went off again for 15 mins.. just called faults.. this time they are sending out an engineer on Monday morning.. fingers crossed.. All i suggest cable guy is keep phone faults till they listen

zzyzxuk
19-10-2008, 06:18
Also in Kingston, with similar problems.

Website access is either severely slow, or impossible for 30-45 minute stretches when the problem hits, and get "POP3 server not responding" errors. I will get 50%-100% packet loss when trying to ping anything. Then problem suddenly disappears...

First noticed this on Tuesday afternoon and was told it was "known issue". When it recurred on Wednesday, operator said there was "no known issue" and then took me through diagnostics. She tried to get me to "ipconfig /release", but because neither she nor I knew this had to be done as "admin" in Vista, she said "there's a problem with your PC and you have to call your manufacturer to sort it out."

Later on Wednesday another T/S told me "it's a fault with your cable modem" (the same cable modem that has been working fine for 2 years and hasn't had anything happen to it), and they sent someone out on Friday to look at it. He couldn't see any problems with it, and didn't seem to think that the ping packet loss I was experiencing even then was an issue. (Is this kind of packet loss normal?) He did however leave his personal mobile number, and I rang him on Saturday when the problem recurred. He said that on Monday he would "escalate" the problem, but I'm still having problems and am not particularly confident that people know what is happening. I am worried that they will either not be able to find the fault, or will somehow blame it on my "equipment".

Here are some details, perhaps someone here can suggest some diagnostics to help find out what the problem is?

The UBR I'm on is: 92-238-48-44.cable.ubr14.nmal.blueyonder.co.uk.
When the problem hits, the Cableform speed test registers 387.10 kbps
When I go to http://192.168.100.1/signal.html, the signal/noise level doesn't change (usually it's around 40db and the downstream power is around 6db). In the log though I notice I have this error message occurring every 90 seconds:
"Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out"

Because I haven't changed -anything- on the PC (no new software, etc.) in between when it works, and when it doesn't, I am thinking this surely is a Virgin issue isn't it?

Suggestions anyone?

laptopsrd
27-10-2008, 15:33
Update.. well the Engineer showed up well on time. came in.. looked at the signal levels and said.. hmm they're a bit low.. then spotted the box where there was a y-splitter on the cable.. one to feed the V-box i had taken out over a year ago.. he said.. that wont help if its not in use.. removed that.. signal then was "too high" so he nipped to the van, stuck an attenuator on the back of the modem and proclaimed the signal "perfect".

Its been rock solid for the week. so all in all i'm happy.. just wish it hadnt taken so long to get sorted.

:0)

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 15:45
Update.. well the Engineer showed up well on time. came in.. looked at the signal levels and said.. hmm they're a bit low.. then spotted the box where there was a y-splitter on the cable.. one to feed the V-box i had taken out over a year ago.. he said.. that wont help if its not in use.. removed that.. signal then was "too high" so he nipped to the van, stuck an attenuator on the back of the modem and proclaimed the signal "perfect".

Its been rock solid for the week. so all in all i'm happy.. just wish it hadnt taken so long to get sorted.

:0)
Who removed the V-box