PDA

View Full Version : Dial sounds

BEDO
17-10-2008, 19:18
Didn't really know what to call this thread, but here's the query, I'll do my best to explain it, please have patience....
On the third of October I had Virgin telephone connected (I already have their B.B) Initially there was a fault when we tried to use the phone, we could dial out but the person we were calling couldn't hear us. The engineer called and discovered that two wires had been transposed and that cured that problem. However, we have another strange fault, when dialing a number you hear a low gravelly sound and the dialing is slow, after you have dialed you can still hear it before it rings the number you want.
I have discovered that if you press the 'Star' button first, followed by the number, then you get the proper sound each time you press a number and the number you want rings immediately.
It would be nice if someone on here knows the answer.
I hope I have made my query understandable and apologize if not.:)

Gary L
17-10-2008, 20:02
Change the switch from pulse to tone.

BEDO
17-10-2008, 21:28
Thank you so very much Gary L.
Works fine now.

Ron.

Gary L
17-10-2008, 21:51
That's what I'm here for Ron. to help :)

BEDO
17-10-2008, 23:13
That's what I'm here for Ron. to help :)

Well done :handshake
and thanks again

Ron.

m419
18-10-2008, 16:12
Tone dialing is better because when you call companies and they ask you to press 1 for whatever service,press 2 for this,that and the other, pulse dialing will not let you select an option.

BEDO
18-10-2008, 19:00
Tone dialing is better because when you call companies and they ask you to press 1 for whatever service,press 2 for this,that and the other, pulse dialing will not let you select an option.

Hi m419
That was one of the problems I was having, I didn't mention it in my original post as it was already long and I had the feeling that if one problem was fixed it would most likely fix both.

Incidentally, what is pulse used for if it causes so many problems?
Ron.

multiskilled
18-10-2008, 20:33
Pulse dialling was used with the old phones with a dial,and exchanges used relays to route the call. Modern exchanges are digital and use tone dialling but still must be backward compatible with old equipment.

BEDO
18-10-2008, 22:46
Thank you multiskilled, clearly explained, I am now a little wiser thanks to you:).

Ron.