PDA

View Full Version : virgin media and delivery of modem

jellyfish
17-10-2008, 14:35
Virgin Media is doing my head in now

had a problem with broadband router rebooting itself constantly phone them up 8th oct and they ordered a new modem to be sent to me, said takes about 2 days and send via UPS

phone them up Monday and now the VM person tells me its sent out via Royal Mail and takes 5 days

phoned them up on Wednesday and the guy tell mes its takes 48 hours and sent via UPS - he has ordered another one

who do I believe ?

so waiting for 2 modems to arrive internet up and down like a bride knickers on her wedding night

sorry for the rant but doing my head in

whydoIneedatech
17-10-2008, 15:55
It is sent out via UPS and definitely not by Royal Mail, and it should only take 3 to 5 working days to arrive but you should be advised that it may take up to 10 working days to arrive, and if you are out they will leave a card for you to rearrange delivery for a more convenient time.

When it arrives you will need to call the Quickstart Department on 0800 953 9500 to have it added to your account, so be sure that you have made a note of the HFC MAC address on the base of the modem before you call.

Do not call Technical Support over a new modem as you will be transferred to Quickstart as they cannot activate your new modem.

v0id
17-10-2008, 19:48
It is sent out via UPS and definitely not by Royal Mail, and it should only take 3 to 5 working days to arrive but you should be advised that it may take up to 10 working days to arrive, and if you are out they will leave a card for you to rearrange delivery for a more convenient time.

When did they stop using RM to send out new modems then? :/

whydoIneedatech
17-10-2008, 19:51
UPS is for the larger items like Modems and the USB wireless adaptor and the wireless PCMIA card, it was Lynx prior to UPS.

browney
17-10-2008, 22:31
mine came by LYNX Express, A UPS Company and not on the stated day

Chuck
17-10-2008, 22:52
I raised a call on the newsgroup (virginmedia.support.broadband.cable) on Saturday night and my new modem was here Tuesday, via UPS, got to be happy with that!

I found the newsgroup a very easy way to raise a call and you also have a history of it as it goes through!

BenMcr
18-10-2008, 01:18
When it arrives you will need to call the Quickstart Department on 0800 953 9500 (LiveCall:08009539500) to have it added to your account, so be sure that you have made a note of the HFC MAC address on the base of the modem before you call.

Do not call Technical Support over a new modem as you will be transferred to Quickstart as they cannot activate your new modem.
If a modem is swapped out because it is faulty, and not because of an install it IS Technical Support that deal with it

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Parcelforce haven't sent anything for Virgin since January.

Only TV Remotes are sent via the post

v0id
18-10-2008, 03:35
If a modem is swapped out because it is faulty, and not because of an install it IS Technical Support that deal with it

Maybe whydoineedatech means don't phone tech support once you receive your modem :/

whydoIneedatech
18-10-2008, 09:17

We in Technical Support do not add modems so we transfer them to Quickstart and if I send out a replacement modem I give them Quickstarts number as we have been told to do.

You receive a new modem from us and you want it to work then ring 0800 953 9500.

BenMcr
18-10-2008, 10:17
Ok, just double checked and apparently it is Quickstart so I apologise to WhydoI.

Does seem to be a pointless transfer thought as it is easy to swap it on the system

whydoIneedatech
18-10-2008, 11:31
Ok, just double checked and apparently it is Quickstart so I apologise to WhydoI.

Does seem to be a pointless transfer thought as it is easy to swap it on the system
We are not trained and also not allowed to do it unless we are on the Quickstart team and its a Quickstart call.

I know how to swap them but can get into trouble for it so just transfer the call instead.:D

jellyfish
18-10-2008, 12:00
the modem arrived yesterday and now working - this is the second one they sent out, so not sure what happened to the first one

the UPS guy left it with my neighbour (thankfully I have very good neighbours)

just to run it pass you guys and gals I am on a 10 MB connection

are these config data good

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.6 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I am in Batley, West Yorkshire area

whydoIneedatech
18-10-2008, 12:14
the modem arrived yesterday and now working - this is the second one they sent out, so not sure what happened to the first one

the UPS guy left it with my neighbour (thankfully I have very good neighbours)

just to run it pass you guys and gals I am on a 10 MB connection

are these config data good

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.6 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I am in Batley, West Yorkshire area
You are an NTL customer and those signal levels are within the operational parameters for you connection, in other words spot on.

jellyfish
18-10-2008, 13:02
what do I do with the other modem then, when it arrives, send it back, throw it in bin, flog it on ebay :D

whydoIneedatech
18-10-2008, 16:38
what do I do with the other modem then, when it arrives, send it back, throw it in bin, flog it on ebay :D
Use it as a doorstop or a paperweight, or if you visit your local dump put it in the electrical skip but snap off the coax connector with a pair of pliers first or it will end up on Ebay.:D