PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking Mobiles Charge

FairyFairy
16-10-2008, 16:38
I thought the £15 charge for unlocking mobiles was a bit steep.

I fancied being unlocked rather than locked onto a provider .... never mind that I just put some more credit on my phone - so obviously going to use them a while longer!!!

kpanchev
16-10-2008, 16:42
And what was the point of your post again????

FairyFairy
16-10-2008, 16:57
:):):):):)

I see where you are coming from!

I would honestly prefer to be free (unlocked) and thought £15 was on the high side !!:D

on in an hour!
16-10-2008, 17:28
:):):):):)

I see where you are coming from!

I would honestly prefer to be free (unlocked) and thought £15 was on the high side !!:D

if the phone is on contract,your provider has to give you the unlock code after 12 months ;) Vodafone mailed me mine after i phoned to request it.

djmagnifique
16-10-2008, 17:29
£15 is a fair price, some providers have charged upwards of £30-£40 in the past.

You could take your phone to a local mobile repair shop and they might be able to do it for you for cheaper (I paid £10 to get mine unlocked so I could switch to virgin)

Nikesh
16-10-2008, 17:37
I got mine unlocked for £10 as well just from a small mobile phone shop.

FairyFairy
16-10-2008, 17:39
if the phone is on contract,your provider has to give you the unlock code after 12 months ;) Vodafone mailed me mine after i phoned to request it.

Its not on contract - I'm on PAYG and had this phone for 4 years and another phone for another fairish stretch with Virgin!

on in an hour!
16-10-2008, 17:54
Its not on contract - I'm on PAYG and had this phone for 4 years and another phone for another fairish stretch with Virgin!

oh right,but as said above £10 is about the norm,maybe dearer for new phones but as yours is 4yrs old it should be cheap. ;)

BenMcr
16-10-2008, 18:31
The phone Virgin sent me wasn't locked in the first place ;)

on in an hour!
16-10-2008, 18:34

mine bloody was...a cheapo samsung e250!! it nearly cost me as much to get it unlocked as it did to buy the f****n thing :(

Paul
16-10-2008, 18:36
I just bought my last PAYG phone off ebay, already unlocked.

BenMcr
16-10-2008, 19:11
mine bloody was...a cheapo samsung e250!! it nearly cost me as much to get it unlocked as it did to buy the f****n thing :(
See there is ya problem lol.

I got a N73 and it had no Virgin branding on it whatsoever, and was a lot cheaper than a SIM free version :D

FairyFairy
16-10-2008, 20:41

Hells Bells :o:

I better check!!!!

I've got an old sim from another company --- I presume I just stick it in :dunce:

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

I just bought my last PAYG phone off ebay, already unlocked.

I have been trawling through the pages looking

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Locked :mad:

djmagnifique
16-10-2008, 22:50
I've got an old sim from another company --- I presume I just stick it in :dunce:

If its a sim that you have had for a while it might be deactivated and not actually show you if the phone is unlocked or not, better off trying a friends sim card to see if the phone is unlocked.

What type of phone is it your wanting to unlock?

AntiSilence
16-10-2008, 23:17
I paid £6 at the local market to have a Samsung E250 unlocked from Virgin.

FairyFairy
17-10-2008, 07:49
If its a sim that you have had for a while it might be deactivated and not actually show you if the phone is unlocked or not, better off trying a friends sim card to see if the phone is unlocked.

What type of phone is it your wanting to unlock?

It was a new sim I tried.

The phone is a Siemens AX72

on in an hour!
17-10-2008, 19:58
See there is ya problem lol.

I got a N73 and it had no Virgin branding on it whatsoever, and was a lot cheaper than a SIM free version :D

where would you like me to lie while you kick me Ben??? huh? :( :( :(

djmagnifique
17-10-2008, 22:28
It was a new sim I tried.

Just with you saying that it was an old sim card you had fram another company would of surgested that it was an old sim card. If the sim card you used hasn't been used in a phone/topped up in the last 3-6 months (depending on company) it will have been deactivated and may not show if the phone is unlocked.

After looking into it a bit at http://www.gsmhosting.net/vbb/index.php it looks like you would need some special equipment and software to unlock your phone yourself. Best bet is to go to an independant phone repair shop and see if they can unlock it for you, they should be able to as your phone model has been around for at least 3 years.

Wild Oscar
22-10-2008, 16:29
It depends on the phone of course .. but you can do this yourself.

FairyFairy
22-10-2008, 16:41
I treated myself to a new sim free unlocked phone from eBay --- so that has saves a bundle of hassle!!:)

sprattgraham
26-10-2008, 00:56
If it's a contract do virgin have to give you the unlock code for free at the end?

on in an hour!
28-10-2008, 17:02
If it's a contract do virgin have to give you the unlock code for free at the end?

any provider,after 12 months (even if the contract is longer) have to give you the unlock code graham ;)

kpanchev
28-10-2008, 17:45
any provider,after 12 months (even if the contract is longer) have to give you the unlock code graham ;)

Can you give a source for this info?

sprattgraham
28-10-2008, 21:26
Virgin wants to charge me £15

Turkey Machine
28-10-2008, 22:22
Take it down the local market, pay £10 to the phone stall guy who has unlocking capabilites, and have it unlocked. Was the only way for mine after Orange wanted to charge my Dad £20 to unlock the thing, even though he's been on a contract with them for the past 5 years. Where in legislation does it say they have to give you the unlock code after 12 months? I can't find it anywhere!

on in an hour!
29-10-2008, 17:10
Can you give a source for this info?

i forget where i got the info,but as i said earlier vodafone sent me mine on a mail the same day i asked for it,my wifes was about 2 weeks off the 12 months but he said as it could take up to 14 days to reach me by post he may as well mail it along with mine,which he did.
when i spoke to them about contract renewal i said i was happy with the handset i had so he offered me a sim only deal at half the original contract price,which leads me to believe that the other half of the contract price was me buying the phone,so after the 12 months it was mine,which would also lead me to believe this is why they have to give up the unlock code as its now my property.;)

hardtarget
03-11-2008, 03:57
round here you can get it unlocked for a fiver