PDA

View Full Version : NTL At Uni (Not using Virgin brand)

m419
16-10-2008, 13:41
I often wonder why NTL Telewest wanted to use the Virgin brand in the first place and spend all that money rebranding!

They have launched a service called 'NTL at uni' offering Telephone services at universities.

Wouldn't it be better to use the Virgin brand for all NTL businesses???

Or even better for us,wouldn't it be better to use NTL for all its businesses that way we wouldn't have to pay for the lease of the Virgin brand!

www.ntlatuni.com

Graham M
16-10-2008, 13:47
It's marketed as and provided by NTL:Telewest Business so why would they use the Virgin brand?

Stuart
16-10-2008, 13:55
I often wonder why NTL Telewest wanted to use the Virgin brand in the first place and spend all that money rebranding!

They have launched a service called 'NTL at uni' offering Telephone services at universities.

Wouldn't it be better to use the Virgin brand for all NTL businesses???

Or even better for us,wouldn't it be better to use NTL for all its businesses that way we wouldn't have to pay for the lease of the Virgin brand!

www.ntlatuni.com

NTL:Telewest business may not have the right to use the Virgin brand. They are a seperate company.

They used the Virgin brand because it has a good reputation amongst consumers (whether that reputation is deserved or not is another matter entirely). NTL and to some extent, Telewest, didn't.

m419
16-10-2008, 18:59
Hmmm would that explain why the Telewest franchises now have less customers than what they did in 2007,2006 and 2005?

I like the Virgin brand and its companies, however, it didn't help Virgin Megastores in the UK nor Virgin Cola, in fact if you look at the sales and profits of Zavvi Megastores, sales and profit have increased whilst HMV have dipped explaining why HMV are selling additional products like computers and webcams ect.... Regardless of that, both companies have seen profit margines become narrow,usually down to people downloading music off the internet instead and because of the credit crunch.

And Absolute Radio has also ditched the Virgin Brand recently.

However,In Ireland, NTL Ireland is still using the 'NTL' brand and is actually leasing it from Virgin Media Group.

I know that the NTL brand had a slightly bad reputation,between 2001 and 2006, a lot of billing and technical problems occured and because the company was still absorbing the cable companies which it had acquired during the time 1997 and 2000, its customer service and channel lineup was all over the place.

However, Telewest had a much better reputation and its customer services was actually in the top list of UK service providers during 2005 and 2006.

The only real reason NTL probably want to use the brand for is that increases the valuation of the company. NTL has orginally been using the brand since 1996 when Virgin Group and NTL-Cable Tel launched Virgin.Net and then NTL acquired Virgin's 50% stake in 2003 and Virgin Mobile in 2006.

I reckon that if they didn't use the Virgin name, the would have used 'Telewest' 'Blueyonder' or NTL:Telewest or even Eurobell.

Stuart
16-10-2008, 19:13
I never said Virgin was perfect.. I just said they had a trusted brand. Yes they have had failures, but they have also had a lot of sucesses. Look at Virgin Airways.

BenMcr
16-10-2008, 19:56
The only real reason NTL probably want to use the brand for is that increases the valuation of the company. NTL has orginally been using the brand since 1996 when Virgin Group and NTL-Cable Tel launched Virgin.Net and then NTL acquired Virgin's 50% stake in 2003 and Virgin Mobile in 2006.

I reckon that if they didn't use the Virgin name, the would have used 'Telewest' 'Blueyonder' or NTL:Telewest or even Eurobell.
Part of the agreement for the purchase of Virgin Mobile was a swap of shares so the Virgin Group became (at the time) the biggest shareholder in ntl:telewest. Along with that came the licence to use the Virgin brand.

Personally I think the main reason for the use of the Virgin brand was Sir RB. The opportunity to move into Media was too good to pass up

As far as I know, the reason the the business side of Virgin Media (which includes the Uni business) haven't taken on the Virgin name is that the Virgin group focus isn't the same as ntl:telewest.

The Virgin brand has a good reputation for consumers. the ntl and telewest brands apparently have a good standing with businesses

nutellajunkie
20-10-2008, 11:24
0870 numbers, thats just a laugh..

ShaneC
20-10-2008, 11:28
When I spoke to my NTL:Telewest business rep he said they didn't take the name due to financial reasons. Wasn't worth the amount Mr Branson wanted as businesses are less worried about a popular name.

m419
27-10-2008, 22:31
I dont think residential customers do either!

I mean nothings changed much except branding and livery ect.... When you say 'Cable' or 'Virgin TV' the first thing that comes into there head is 'NTL' or Telewest.

I think Virgin Enterprises needs to cut down on how much they are charging Virgin Media for the lease. Especially if they hold 10% of the company!