PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sky in a loft?

Blaze
15-10-2008, 23:27
I should be using a loft room for like a tv room/study/living room etc... and was wondering it'd be possible to get sky installed there?

Would it be easy to do? As theres no phone line up there.

Chris
15-10-2008, 23:29
It's easy enough to run some telephone extension cable about the place, surely? Or if not, do Sky not do phone line cabling as part of the installation? There was no phone socket in the room where we got Sky, but they happily cabled round the skirting, under the door and into the next room.

Blaze
16-10-2008, 00:27
I think theres an extra charge to get out of a phone line but im not sure.

Graham M
16-10-2008, 07:38
Yeah you have to pay the full price for the equipment and/or package if you don't have a phone line, hence, I went out and spent £40 on a pair of DECT phone line extenders that do the job nicely :tu:

Chris
16-10-2008, 10:13
Yeah you have to pay the full price for the equipment and/or package if you don't have a phone line, hence, I went out and spent £40 on a pair of DECT phone line extenders that do the job nicely :tu:

Oooh, good idea ...

Of course, if the OP just wants telly in the loft he could get a Freesat box, no phone line required. Depends on whether he wants Sky channels or not.

Avatis
16-10-2008, 11:15
Sky will install wherever you want in your home. It wont matter where your want it as long as you have a phone line somewhere in the house.
They will run a phone extension to the STB along the skirting board and doorframes. Its also part of a new install so it not extra.
Im a ex Sky engineer and I ran phone lines all over the place, pain in the ass for the installer but its part of the job.

Blaze
17-10-2008, 02:31
One last question regarding. Would Sky + or Sky+HD be better to get?

Are they the same type of installations?

Graham M
17-10-2008, 07:33
It depends what size of TV you intend to connect up to it? If its less than, say, 32", it would be a bit pointless to go for the HD version although you could have it for future upgrades.

MikeyB
17-10-2008, 12:09
One last question regarding. Would Sky + or Sky+HD be better to get?

Are they the same type of installations?

The installation will be the same, just a different STB.
But which one to go for? Do you want HD channels or not?
Sky+HD will be more £s per month than standard Sky+

Blaze
17-10-2008, 12:39
It depends what size of TV you intend to connect up to it? If its less than, say, 32", it would be a bit pointless to go for the HD version although you could have it for future upgrades.

It'd be connected to a 19" tv at first, but looking to get a 32" soon

The installation will be the same, just a different STB.
But which one to go for? Do you want HD channels or not?
Sky+HD will be more £s per month than standard Sky+

I have a HD TV so I could use the HD channels