PDA

View Full Version : Am I eligble? If not, why not??

koinnflak
15-10-2008, 15:14
Hey guys,

so I went to the Virgin store in Bmouth to ask about broadband.
"No, sorry, u cant get it" was the response.
And I was like WTF because I live in a house with 5 flats, and all
other 4 flats have Virgin, even the one above and the one next to me.
So did I just bump into incompetent sellers or is it really possible that only
4 out of 5 flats can get cable?

My address is BH6 3S*, flat **. Hope someone can help me as I am not looking forward to getting BT or Tiscali...

stevos
15-10-2008, 15:22
i had to phone them as via the website it said i was in the analogue area, when clearly once i phoned up they told me i was in a cable area. Now im on the 20Mbp Cable.

Graham M
15-10-2008, 15:28
Hey guys,

so I went to the Virgin store in Bmouth to ask about broadband.
"No, sorry, u cant get it" was the response.
And I was like WTF because I live in a house with 5 flats, and all
other 4 flats have Virgin, even the one above and the one next to me.
So did I just bump into incompetent sellers or is it really possible that only
4 out of 5 flats can get cable?

My address is BH6 3S*, flat **. Hope someone can help me as I am not looking forward to getting BT or Tiscali...

Where's the Virgin Media store in Bournemouth out of interest?

koinnflak
15-10-2008, 15:55
Castlepoint, it's called "Savvy"

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

i had to phone them as via the website it said i was in the analogue area, when clearly once i phoned up they told me i was in a cable area. Now im on the 20Mbp Cable.
Did u call the 845 840 7777 number?

---------- Post added at 15:55 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Well, called Virgin and they said there is NO WAY that I can get fibre/cable to my house.

So what am I left with then? Tiscali unlimited download on top of a BT line? Seems like the only option....

Stuart
15-10-2008, 16:01
Castlepoint, it's called "Savvy"

I think you mean Zavvi (http://www.zavvi.co.uk)

As for what else you have available, have a look at http://www.samknows.co.uk. Enter your postcode and/or phone number into that and it tells you which ISPs service your area. It only includes the LLU ones, as the others are all available if you have BT anyway.

koinnflak
15-10-2008, 16:08
Thanks alot, will check it out :D

MovedGoalPosts
15-10-2008, 16:25
I've hidden part of your postcode and flat number. For your own privacy it's never wise to post such details publicly on a forum.

spiderplant
15-10-2008, 19:16
Too slow Rob :)

koinnflak: Your flat and another one in the block apparently can't get service. I suggest you speak to sales again and ask them to send a 'spotter' out. These are guys who check for properties like yours that aren't quite cabled, but maybe could be.

koinnflak
15-10-2008, 20:15
Yeah we were told a spotter would come within a week, we waited for a week then asked them what the hell was going on, and the reply was that "if Virgin found out we weren't eligble for cable the spotter wouldn't turn up or call us to let us know we couldn't get cable." This sucks.

wirelessless
15-10-2008, 20:15
Don't lose heart yet - they told me I lived in a listed building (I don't), then later that there had definately been VirginMedia in my flat before (there definately hadn't). It was all sorted out in the end by their "spotter".

koinnflak
15-10-2008, 20:16
and spiderplant, how much would we have to pay in installation fee if we, against all odds, were able to be cabled?

spiderplant
15-10-2008, 20:22
Dunno. I'm sure someone here could answer that, but I stick to the techy stuff.

koinnflak
15-10-2008, 20:26
Can I tell Virgin to send a spotter or will they just send me off with the normal "Sorry, you're flat is not cabled, there is nothing we can do"-reply?

spiderplant
15-10-2008, 20:47
You can only ask. The whole point of spotters is to deal with things like this, and as far as I can tell you have a better chance than most. At least there's already cable in the building.

koinnflak
21-10-2008, 22:47
OK, went down to Virgin and they refused to send a spotter here. Guess they don't want to sell me broadband then, even if I still mean I could get it as I get TV signal through a wire in the wall that goes into this black General Instruments box which crazy enough gives me free Skysports 1-2-3, MTV etc.. Channel 34 on it is even Virgin's own, and in my previous flat we got the TV signal to that box from Virgin's cable. So something is fishy here :D

Anyway, I talked to my neighbouring flat and we have all agreed to share the internet. They have Virgin atm, and I need to buy a repeater/access point to increase the signal distribution. I can pick up their network in the room next to their flat, but I need to know more about which repeaters are any good or if they even are compatible with Virgin's own routers. Also on positioning the repeater. Any help?

Thanks to everyone so far, you've been great with your inputs.

books
22-10-2008, 03:39
Why do you want Virgin anyway? I hate them. Can't you get ADSL and sky? You would be far better off in my opinion, for many reasons. I am stuck in this contract with Virgin and I would do anything to get out of it.

Graham M
22-10-2008, 07:52
Why do you want Virgin anyway? I hate them.

Uhh Good for you? Nice unbiased post.

books
22-10-2008, 11:15
Uhh Good for you? Nice unbiased post.

EDIT by Derek S - Do NOT abuse other members of the board

I have a contract with them, and I have used internet since the 56k days and I've got a BT phone line here and I've used various different ADSL companies and I have ADSL at work and my friend is on ADSL etc.. so it's not biased at all. I don't work for them and I have no vested interest, so how is it biased? I had Sky call me asking me to come back and they offered me an incredible deal which I would have jumped at if it wasn't for me being stuck in a 12 month contract with Virgin. So why Virgin? This guy is going out of his way to join up with them... Why?

Paul
22-10-2008, 12:43
So why Virgin? This guy is going out of his way to join up with them... Why?
Why not ? Just because you hate them doesnt mean everyone has too.

D.Casey
22-10-2008, 13:19
This guy is going out of his way to join up with them... Why?

Maybe because he lives too far from a BT/adsl exchange to recieve a stable/decent connection.. like myself.

Pog66
22-10-2008, 13:36
Well I'm coming from Sky to Virgin because I live 4 miles away from the Exchange and my broadband has deterioated since Sky introduced DM on my service. Also Virgin meets looks like it will suit our TV viewing habits better than Sky (e.g. VoD, not worried about HD just yet, never get time to watch the movies). I've thrown my phone into the pot as well as I've got a good deal from VM to move across. I don't hate Sky (or even dislike) just made an informed choice based on my circumstances. End of.

koinnflak
22-10-2008, 14:06
Ok guys stop the flaming and please concentrate on my problem ;)

I will not be signing up with them, although I would like to, but as I've mentioned I will be sharing my next-door flats internet from Virgin.

So my question is still: are the Virgin wireless routers compatible with most WAP/repeaters?

haydnwalker
22-10-2008, 15:59
If they use ethernet or WiFi then they should be :) as they are both established standards

koinnflak
22-10-2008, 16:59
Allright, I'll buy one now then and hope for the best :)

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Belkin Wireless G Universal Range Extender will hopefully make my life happy :D

books
23-10-2008, 00:52
Why not ? Just because you hate them doesnt mean everyone has too.

I didn't say they did, did I? I said what I think about them, and I asked the question. No need to be rude about it and accuse me of lying.

And I told you why not, because I've had nothing but trouble with them. Both on TV and internet. The last ISP I had had a terrible reputation (BulldogDSL) and yet even they were far better.

Well I'm coming from Sky to Virgin because I live 4 miles away from the Exchange and my broadband has deterioated since Sky introduced DM on my service. Also Virgin meets looks like it will suit our TV viewing habits better than Sky (e.g. VoD, not worried about HD just yet, never get time to watch the movies). I've thrown my phone into the pot as well as I've got a good deal from VM to move across. I don't hate Sky (or even dislike) just made an informed choice based on my circumstances. End of.

For you it might be worth it then. But it's still worth asking why it has to be Virgin isn't it? I have Virgin TV and on paper it looks good. But the reality is not quite like that. I've had to call them 5 times since I've had it, and I've only had it since about June or so. And I need to call them yet again, seeing as one of the channels I should be getting has become greyed out. This doesn't include the V+ box I had that died, and their botched installation that left me without TV, phone, AND internet for days through no fault of my own. And problems like recorded films and programs ending 20 minutes before they should. Nothing like watching an hour and forty minutes of a movie and then finding the last twenty minutes cut off. Or the number of times the V+ has "hung" and had to be reset or either reset itself. Etc..etc..

And that's not including all the trouble I've had with the internet.

Ok guys stop the flaming and please concentrate on my problem ;)

I will not be signing up with them, although I would like to, but as I've mentioned I will be sharing my next-door flats internet from Virgin.

So my question is still: are the Virgin wireless routers compatible with most WAP/repeaters?

I am concentrated, which is why I asked if you can get ADSL?

koinnflak
23-10-2008, 12:50
The hassle with a new phone line is unbearable, I'll only be living at this location for another 10 months, and ADSL would be 125 pounds installation fee, 11 pounds/month for the phone line and then internet on top of that. Too expensive :)