PDA

View Full Version : Moving VM Box need longer cable

vinty
15-10-2008, 12:37
Hi

I recently got VM installed in my new house and when the engineer came out to install I told him I was moving my tv and needed extra cable length. I have since moved my tv but the white coax cable is just a few inches too short.
Can anyone tell me how to extend or replace the cable. I rang Virgin Media who said they would send out an engineer but this would cost £99.00.

Any help greatly appriciated.

Chris
15-10-2008, 12:44
Well, technically you shouldn't do it yourself because you can change signal levels, to the detriment of your service, by altering any cable lengths. If a tech is doing the alterations, then he can use various methods to compensate for this while he is on-site.

If you don't mess up the signal levels, then you can still introduce noise onto the system if you use cheap cable or poorly made-up connectors.

If either of the above occurs, then you would need a tech visit to rectify it, and bang, you get the £99 charge anyway.

However, seeing as it's only a few inches you need, then you will *probably* be ok if you buy something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29537

Using a pre-made cable with moulded f-plug on one end and f-socket on the other reduces the risk of causing interference that can occur if you use screw-on f-plugs and don't do the job very well.

vinty
15-10-2008, 13:01
Thanks for the reply, rang maplin and they are gonna sort me out.