PDA

View Full Version : Would it be useful if you knew you were STMed?

Chuck
14-10-2008, 22:55
This seems to be a hot topic but would it help customers and Virgin alike if they added some kind of notification process? For example send an email if you have reached your limit telling you when the STM will end, or even when you are nearing it?

Or they could add the ability in selfcare for people to see what they have downloaded over time so they understand what is going on? I have no idea if this is possible withthe kit Virgin have or how much it would cost!

brundles
14-10-2008, 23:05
Yes - the QoS system on the router relies on knowing what the expected upstream bandwidth is. Can be changed on the fly easily enough but only if I know when it's been done.

cook1984
14-10-2008, 23:21
VM will never introduce anything like that. They prefer to scream "UNLIMITED!!!!" rather than actually admitting there are limits.

whydoIneedatech
15-10-2008, 06:33
Never happen to much of a hot potato

xspeedyx
15-10-2008, 09:53
VM will never introduce anything like that. They prefer to scream "UNLIMITED!!!!" rather than actually admitting there are limits.

It is been looked at but until they recieve enough churn or feedback off it then your stuck without the info

Magilla
15-10-2008, 10:47
Section 36 of Offcoms "Broadband Code of Practice":-

"36. Where it is reasonably possible to do so, ISPs should provide a means by
which users can measure their usage over the relevant billing period."

Since STM is triggered by usage, I presume this isn't unreasonable?

"38. The ISPs should also consider providing advance notification to subscribers
approaching a usage limit."

Considered and rejected no doubt.