PDA

View Full Version : Lag caused by WGR614v9

Scribe
13-10-2008, 19:47
Hi guys,

My brother recently signed up to Virgin 10MB for his student house in Essex. He's been having extreme ping issues when playing games since he's had the service and I've identified it as his Virgin Media provided wireless router.

I narrowed down the issue to his router by disconnecting all but one PC and connecting it via a wired connection, the lag remained, then removing the router from the equation with the same PC, the lag is gone. I then confirmed that there was an issue with a bug in the firmware provided via Netgear's website stating in a new patch:
Fixed - False DoS alerts: Some normal packets would be treated as DoS attacks.
This fits the pattern of lag he is receiving which I confirmed with a continuous ping test. I have also confirmed this has solved the issues for other users.

Knowing how difficult they can be over the phone (and as I am not the service owner) I sent a very specific e-mail stating this and requesting either a router update or a different model router (Virgin Media have placed a lock on user upgrades to the router software).

Their reply was the usual I haven't even bothered to read your e-mail response:
Hi Callum
KANA EMAIL REF: 4794078
We're sorry to hear you have been having problems with your connection speed.
I've run full diagnostics on your connection and have not been able to find a fault on the network that would be causing you to have slow speeds. Could you please complete the checks below and send the results back to me by return email?
A major cause of slow speeds is spyware on PCs. Spyware is software that can install itself on to your PC without your knowledge and cause problems when browsing the Internet. If you have spyware security software, you'll need to scan your entire system using this software and remove any files that are detected. If you currently have no spyware software you can download our PCguard software from the following link: -
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=ser_pcguard_home
If you're still having an issue with slow speeds once you have checked for spyware Callum, then please complete the checks below. ...

Can someone please advise me how to get a useful response out of Virgin as I would like to see a resolution to this issue. It is very clear that the router is at fault and we simply need a different model sending, a software update or at the very least an engineer to come out and confirm this is the issue. I know if I respond to this e-mail it will bounce back and forth several times.

Axegrinder
13-10-2008, 20:13
Is he gaming over wireless? As gaming over wireless is a no-no as it creates more lag. ;)

Scribe
13-10-2008, 20:51
Is he gaming over wireless? As gaming over wireless is a no-no as it creates more lag. ;)

It does not! :P I've done it for many years with an even better ping because radio usually travels in a straight line.

Though more to the point it's lag spikes, asin ok ok ok ok dropped dropped dropped dropped ok ok ok kinda pattern.

Axegrinder
13-10-2008, 22:26
In my experience it creates more lag, but if your happy..

Does you use WPA for security? As windows has trouble with someone network adapters and WPA.

Scribe
13-10-2008, 22:51
In my experience it creates more lag, but if your happy..

Does you use WPA for security? As windows has trouble with someone network adapters and WPA.

I've tested it cabled in and still have the issue. An i know, my damn windows mobby phone wont work on my WPA router :@