PDA

View Full Version : Moving VM cable (previously NTL network) setup

saintlyboy
13-10-2008, 14:44
HI,

Apologies if this is a repetition of previous posts but I've read "little white box" several times and I don't have one (I have a little BLACK box lol) so I thought I'd post my own problem and ask...

When Virgin Media set me up last year I think they took the existing VM/NTL connection in the house (that runs up the front of the house and in to the front bedroom) around the skirting of the front bedroom and through a hole in the wall to the back bedroom where all my PC guff resides.

Said back bedroom is set to become a nursery and so I need to relocate all my bits and pieces to the front room. If the dividing wall was out of the equation I would simply loop up the cable and stuff it in a corner but my problem is this:

While the cable is easily passed through the wall back in to the front bedroom, the connector that goes in to the modem is currently too big to pass back through the wall.

So I don't have a gaping whole left I thought that I would get the connector off, cut the cable, and put it back on at the other end - I should have guessed that it wouldn't be that easy.

My interim solution is a wireless connection but we all know about wireless connections and baby monitors interfering with each other so I'm keen to get the modem and router in to the front room without crossing Virgin Media's palms with £75.

Am I stuck with the bill or is there a DIY alternative?

THanks,

Mark

Graham M
13-10-2008, 14:46
A cheap and simple solution would be to run CAT5 surely?

saintlyboy
13-10-2008, 14:55
Cheers for post.

I hadn't actually thought of that so good shout BUT the layout of my house would make that a messy solution. I'd have to either drill another hole in the wall to pass the CAT5 through (can't use existing hole as cable is in it as discussed) or run a cable out of the nursery, all around the landing corridor, in to the room (door would not shut) and up to the PC.

I really need to get the modem out - wifey thinks that nasty and evil wireless rays will zap the little one...
;)