PDA

View Full Version : Going Wireless

wallie32
13-10-2008, 08:36
I thinking of switching from a wired cable broadband conection to wireless, but have not got a clue on where to start.
At present I am running two computers on a network.
I would like suggestions on how to go about this and what hardware to use.
I think I read somewhere that you can plug an Access point gadget into one of my router ports and was wondering it this would be the easiest option.
Also I believe there is a Virgin wireless package maybe that would be the way to go.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
wallie

Kymmy
13-10-2008, 08:49
If it's two computers that do not move and you already have wires on them then why go wireless???

If though you do go wireless you can do it one of two ways concering the hub.. Get a wireless access point and plug it into the hub, or simply replace the hub (wireless routers are £20-30 off somewhere like ebay)

For the PC's it depends what ports you have. USB2 dongles will give you good speeds, so will PCI. If they're newish laptops then they'll probably have wireless built in.

Provide more info as to what the computers are (laptops, towers, desktops) what ports you have and also what your current wireless is...and why you wish to go wireless and we can suggest the best option..

wallie32
13-10-2008, 09:07
My two desktop computers are upstairs in my house,I am going to purchase a laptop to mostly use downstairs, so I was thinking wireless would be easier than running a cable downstairs.
My operating system is Windows XP Pro and I have USB ports available on both computers also PCI slots.
My cable connection is Virgin 8mb

Thanks
wallie

Kymmy
13-10-2008, 10:19
Leave your current PC's on a wired connection then as you've already said either get a WAP or a new wireless router (whichever is the cheapest) and use the laptop on that...

wallie32
13-10-2008, 11:05
So if I get a wireless router that means I would not be using my existing router?
and I would be plugging my 2 desktops into the wireless router ports.
Many thanks
wallie

Kymmy
13-10-2008, 11:14
Yep...

The VM wireless router I think is just a netgear 624 or 614, as well as wireless capabilities it's got the standard 4 ethernet ports so is a direct swap for your own router...

With prices today it's probably cheaper to go that route than a new wireless access point.. I just bought a refurbished WGT624 off ebay for £21.99 delivered..But if you want future compatibility then try an 'N' capable router

wallie32
13-10-2008, 15:23
Thanks for the info, just one final question:
I am going for the Netgear WGT624, would I have to resetup my network between the 2 wired desktops and will I be able to include the laptop into this network?
Thanks again.
wallie

xspeedyx
13-10-2008, 15:38
Can I ask wallie you are connected to Virgin ia a phone line aren't you?

wallie32
13-10-2008, 16:28
Not a phone connection, I am on Virgin Cable.
wallie

Gary L
13-10-2008, 16:32
Not a phone connection, I am on Virgin Cable.
wallie

Cable is 2/10/20Mb
You said 8Mb :)

Kymmy
13-10-2008, 16:37
If you DHCP on your current network then you might have to set the DHCP to the same parameters, if you Static the IP then just change the LAN IP of the router to match your old setup.

The only other config you'll need is to set up the wireless security when you add the laptop...