PDA

View Full Version : Ended contract but still connected

ex-VM_
12-10-2008, 18:30
Hi Folks.
I've searched and not found anyone with the same issue so thought I'd ask on here.
I've not long left VM after nearly 5 years by giving notice in writing.
Anyway, I've had the final bill and settled my account with them.
I fixed a date for VM to pickup the kit and they never turned up so I'm not making the effort to chase them up. I'm aware I could be charged for the STB and Modem but it's very old and I can understand if they're not bothered.
Disconnection date was 15th Sept but I'm still able to connect now.
Is this normal or can I expect to get disconnected or pestered by VM soon to have their CM back? :confused:
Surely my CM's MAC should be blacklisted on the network to stop this happening?

TIA.

Mick Fisher
12-10-2008, 19:12
Just make sure to keep that final bill as proof of your cancellation of all services, stash VM's kit somewhere just in case they turn up to collect it and get on with your life. :)

Whatever happens you have your ass covered.

whydoIneedatech
12-10-2008, 19:16
Hi Folks.
I've searched and not found anyone with the same issue so thought I'd ask on here.
I've not long left VM after nearly 5 years by giving notice in writing.
Anyway, I've had the final bill and settled my account with them.
I fixed a date for VM to pickup the kit and they never turned up so I'm not making the effort to chase them up. I'm aware I could be charged for the STB and Modem but it's very old and I can understand if they're not bothered.
Disconnection date was 15th Sept but I'm still able to connect now.
Is this normal or can I expect to get disconnected or pestered by VM soon to have their CM back? :confused:
Surely my CM's MAC should be blacklisted on the network to stop this happening?

TIA.

If you keep using it they could bill you as records will show your modem online outside of your contract.

moiraf100
12-10-2008, 19:18
Did you pay a month in advance? If so, you are receiving a service you have already paid for.

whydoIneedatech
12-10-2008, 19:21
Did you pay a month in advance? If so, you are receiving a service you have already paid for.
If that is the case then it should go off on Wednesday, but if you were told that you services would be turned off on the 15th September then it is an error on Virgins part, you could ring 0845 454 1111 and speak to Customer Services about it.

kpanchev
12-10-2008, 21:10
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, use it while you can. I have a friend who canceled his BB two years ago and still has it active, no word from Virgin or whatever...

NeoPickaze
13-10-2008, 13:15
I also know people who cancelled their internet but still have it active, and continue to use it for free.

I wouldn't risk continuing to use it personally as I would imagine they could still see if they do a check that it's still active.

ex-VM_
13-10-2008, 17:16
Interesting...
Seems to be some moral/ethical issues going on here.
It is illegal to obtain services without the intention of paying for them as has been proven in some of the controversial Wifi piggybacking cases.
Can this be likened to a Wifi-piggybacking scenario?
Under the contract to which I was bound, I agreed to pay for the service and they would/did provide it (badly). Now that I've terminated my contract I no longer pay them and they should no longer provide me a service.
It's a failure on VM's part for not picking up the equipment as agreed that has allowed this situation to occur. Regardless of whether or not I use it.

If I was to buy a CM on ebay and mod the firmware etc to get free BB then that's clearly illegal, but what if I pleaded ignorance and say I thought I was using my new ADSL BB connection (they're both plugged into the same switch) and forgot to change my local gateway IP?

Magilla
13-10-2008, 18:00
They haven't a leg to stand on, you have no agreement with them anymore. If they want to keep providing free internet access, it's not your fault.

Gary L
13-10-2008, 18:08
I'd just carry on using it. if it did ever come to them saying we want money because you've been using it, I would just act dumb and say it's plugged in but I never plugged it in, and it shouldn't be working anyway it's supposed to be disconnected. and how do I know that you haven't left it running so you can bill me later anyway?

either that or I'd just tell them to get stuffed :D

Maggy
13-10-2008, 18:15
Well at the end of the day it's your decision but do you really want to be in a grey area over this?

A phone call to remind them will cover you at the very least..After that it's surely VM's problem.

Rone
13-10-2008, 20:30
Yeh just tell them you used it a little and chances are your in another 12 month contract before you can say Nynex. :D