PDA

View Full Version : Internet cutting out

paul_hadley
11-10-2008, 17:48
Hi,

I haven't had time to phone VM Faults but has anyone else been experiencing intermittent cut-outs on their broadband today?

It seems to be fine for an hour or maybe more, and then it will cut off for about 1-2 minutes then come back to life.

TheNorm
11-10-2008, 18:04
Are there any reported issues in your region? You can check "service status" at the bottom of this page.

All's OK in my neck of the woods!

paul_hadley
11-10-2008, 18:14
Hi,

Nope - no reported issues on there.

And I've rebooted the equipment and doesn't make a difference.

I guess I'll need to phone them if it doesn't fix itself tonight.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

whydoIneedatech
11-10-2008, 18:17
Hi,

Nope - no reported issues on there.

And I've rebooted the equipment and doesn't make a difference.

I guess I'll need to phone them if it doesn't fix itself tonight.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream and the Upstream plus what model the modem is for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheets64
12-10-2008, 14:43
I am having the same problem.

Motorola 3100

Downstream Value
Frequency 330750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level 4 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 37504000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 33 dBmV

NoXiD
12-10-2008, 15:20
i have been having internet cutting out for weeks (just 5 mins at a time), and i have now after numerious calls to VM, decided to register and hope someoen can help

Today i have lost the net at 14:05 - 14:35 - 15:00 so far
No reported service problems

Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.0 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV

I have the Black Virgin Media small Modem (cant rmember the name)

moaningmags
12-10-2008, 15:39
I am having the same problem.

Motorola 3100

Downstream Value
Frequency 330750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level 4 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 37504000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 33 dBmV

Downstream Frequency is wrong, should be 331000000.
Also, if you're on 10Mb, the 3100 can't handle it, needs replaced.
A call to tech support will sort this for you.

NoXiD
12-10-2008, 15:46
it just dropped for me again at 15:43

i checked my Router, and its dropped connection again, even tho the green ready and sync lights are on, im puzzled as to why i lose net ever now and then.

i have 1 PC (wired) 1 laptop (wireless) 1 PS3 (wired), all lose connection, i have swapped the router, and still get the issue.

internal network is fine, i have now got the supplied VM router connected, i have even changed the cable.

--edit..

i was upgraded to 10meg from 2meg(on for 1.5 years no prob), now im getting issues, it started with VM accidentally cutting us off by accident, then had issues ever since.. no one at VM cs seems to help.

whydoIneedatech
12-10-2008, 16:04
it just dropped for me again at 15:43

i checked my Router, and its dropped connection again, even tho the green ready and sync lights are on, im puzzled as to why i lose net ever now and then.

i have 1 PC (wired) 1 laptop (wireless) 1 PS3 (wired), all lose connection, i have swapped the router, and still get the issue.

internal network is fine, i have now got the supplied VM router connected, i have even changed the cable.

--edit..

i was upgraded to 10meg from 2meg(on for 1.5 years no prob), now im getting issues, it started with VM accidentally cutting us off by accident, then had issues ever since.. no one at VM cs seems to help.

Post your power levels from your config pages of your modem.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream and the Upstream power levels and the SNR.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

NoXiD
12-10-2008, 16:07
see below for previous post above, i cant find the SNR for the up

Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz

i have been having internet cutting out for weeks (just 5 mins at a time), and i have now after numerious calls to VM, decided to register and hope someoen can help

Today i have lost the net at 14:05 - 14:35 - 15:00 so far
No reported service problems

Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.0 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV

I have the Black Virgin Media small Modem (cant rmember the name)

truey2k
12-10-2008, 17:14
I've had random cut outs all weekend for about 10 seconds at a time but no issues in my area according to vm status page (Essex).

truey2k

whydoIneedatech
12-10-2008, 17:36
see below for previous post above, i cant find the SNR for the up

Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Are you on a router if so have you tried a direct connection if possible.

What do the lights on the modem do when the disconnection happens, do the light sequence change or any go out.

char22
12-10-2008, 18:49
I've had random cut outs all weekend for about 10 seconds at a time but no issues in my area according to vm status page (Essex).

truey2k

i've had the same, i'm from essex too. maybe a fault in this area. have you phoned up ???

NoXiD
12-10-2008, 20:04
i havnt tried a direct connection yet, but i have tried 2 different routers, and both have the same issue, the lights on the modem stay on (ready on, sync on), but when i get disconnected i cannot get the router to renew IP, or get an internet connection.

i will try a direct connection when i can, it difficult atm with multiple users needing access.

thanks

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

actually, just as i posted that, i lost connection again, and the modem Ready light was flashing.

bo-peep
12-10-2008, 20:43
i've been getting the same problem for months and all they say is that there are no problems in my area.i do keep checking in here to see of any problems but there never are so assumed that they might be right for once.sometimes i can go weeks with no problems then they start up again.in the past when i've rung them they say 'if you have problems then don't do anything but ring us straight away'.by the time you get to speak to somebody you have the connection back and 9/10 the sync and ready lights are solid-they say it isn't a problem if they're on.

whydoIneedatech
12-10-2008, 22:18
i havnt tried a direct connection yet, but i have tried 2 different routers, and both have the same issue, the lights on the modem stay on (ready on, sync on), but when i get disconnected i cannot get the router to renew IP, or get an internet connection.

i will try a direct connection when i can, it difficult atm with multiple users needing access.

thanks

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

actually, just as i posted that, i lost connection again, and the modem Ready light was flashing.
The Sync and Ready light must both be on with any Ambit modem when online, if te ready light goes off then the is an issue with the Virgin connection, be it between your property and the green cab or the green cab and the uBR, now it is down to CSR to recognize that the is a problem so you will have to keep calling and also check with your neighbours to see if they are having similar problems and to call in.

char22
13-10-2008, 06:55
we phoned them up last night, after losing connection for over an hour,they said theres no problem in our area , so there gonna send an engineer round to look at our equipment. i told them there have been others that have had this problem but so it can't be my epuipment but they are still gonna send the engineer round

NoXiD
13-10-2008, 11:26
Thanks, but that time was the first time the Ready light started flashing. all other occations the lights have stayed on and i had no access.

i will monitor the connection, as i seem to lose connection at around the same times every day, i hope there is a pattern that VM can work out.

This is a really strange problem that i hope to sort out soon

zer0
14-10-2008, 16:26

truey2k
im in the same area and after rebooting the STB today im experiencing connection drops every 10 seconds aswell

seems its just usenet, http downloads seem fine

whydoIneedatech
14-10-2008, 18:19
im in the same area and after rebooting the STB today im experiencing connection drops every 10 seconds aswell

seems its just usenet, http downloads seem fine
As you are on a STB what speed are you supposed to be on as even the Samsung max's out at 6mb

N3il
14-10-2008, 23:43
Im having a problem with this too, tonight was really bad, been playing cod4 with some torrents running too, and disconnected about 10 times in the last two hours. Can someone check these for me? :

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Modem is ntl 250 and its 20 meg service

D.Casey
15-10-2008, 01:52
i've been getting the same problem for months and all they say is that there are no problems in my area.i do keep checking in here to see of any problems but there never are so assumed that they might be right for once.sometimes i can go weeks with no problems then they start up again.in the past when i've rung them they say 'if you have problems then don't do anything but ring us straight away'.by the time you get to speak to somebody you have the connection back and 9/10 the sync and ready lights are solid-they say it isn't a problem if they're on.

There seems to be alot of problems in the Grimsby area atm, myself & lots of others are having major problems. (work due to be carried out soon).

Sent you a pm.

whydoIneedatech
15-10-2008, 06:31
Im having a problem with this too, tonight was really bad, been playing cod4 with some torrents running too, and disconnected about 10 times in the last two hours. Can someone check these for me? :

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Modem is ntl 250 and its 20 meg service
Absolutely spot on, you are either being STMed or the is a fault elsewhere.

paul_hadley
15-10-2008, 13:11
I had the same problem that truey2k mentioned.

Then it just cut out altogether on Sunday night.

So I left it and when I got home on Monday evening it was all back up and running (it was reporting it had been connected for about 20 hours so it must have come back up in the early hours of Monday morning).

I haven't been getting the 10 second dropouts since either.

I wonder if Virgin just took down the broadband service for an hour or two on Sunday night to fix the dropouts problem?

Anyway, it's all fine for me now.

Interestingly when it was completely down the cable modem status page (through the IP address) said I was denied access to the Virgin Media network.

And something else strange I noticed - I think the MAC address of my cable modem must have changed as the one I had saved away on my wireless router for the cable modem was completely different.

N3il
15-10-2008, 15:12
Absolutely spot on, you are either being STMed or the is a fault elsewhere.

Randomly a virgin engineer knocked on the door today to say they were fixing a tv problem locally and did we have any issues. I asked him about the broadband fault and he said there was an error and they are working on it, temporarily have set the signals very high apparently so we have some service, and hopefully will be fixed at the end of the week

Just ran 100 pings to www.bbc.co.uk and had 10% packet loss :( No cod4 for me tonight i guess. :mad:

zer0
15-10-2008, 16:50
As you are on a STB what speed are you supposed to be on as even the Samsung max's out at 6mb
2mbit, getting some website timeouts today that on reload work fine

mhatter67
15-10-2008, 20:16
The are faults current on VM faults page for internet and accessing email addresses ending ntlworld. check the VM status page for more updates click here (http://status-cable.virginmedia.com:80/vmstatus/summary.do)