PDA

View Full Version : Given Up on VM

dragox2007
11-10-2008, 01:08
OK, Came back off my holiday on June 2nd, to find my ingame ping on cod4 had shot from 15-20 to 50.

Immediately phoned virgin,

[Removed racist comments this behaviour will not be tolerated]

chickendippers
11-10-2008, 01:25
Please post tracerts and pings to bbc.co.uk and your gameserver along with modem levels (http://192.168.100.1/)

Tarantella
11-10-2008, 01:33
I've been playing computer games since 78 and been in online gaming since 96. I've played with slow and fast modems, single and dual channel isdn and cable. Of course there have been problems along the way not always the direct fault of the isp but I've always found that having interests and finding enjoyment playing games that are not so ping dependant helps.

Nilrem
11-10-2008, 04:50
Please post tracerts and pings to bbc.co.uk and your gameserver along with modem levels (http://192.168.100.1/)
-
Good advice from Chickendippers, without some tests it's extremely hard to know what the problem is.

There are so many things that can affect online play, and many (most) of them are out of the hands of the ISP
IIRC as an example at one point EU Ultima Online players from some areas were being routed by EA's host to New York, and then back to London ;)
Programmes running on your own PC*, how good the host of your chosen server is (and how heavily loaded it is), the ingame connection settings, and the actual location of the servers (IE London or NY) - there are even odd cases were a server at one end simply doesn't like your choice of network card or router (WoW and some linksys routers running a particular range of firmwares had some really funny affects).

*Torrents for example

Jonathan90
11-10-2008, 08:40
That was the funniest thing iv'e read in a long time lol great post hey i waited over 14 months for mine to get fixed so yeah...

Paul K
11-10-2008, 11:46
[edited reference to op]Aren't you a charmer lol. I can understand your annoyance but if that's how you respond to people on the phone and then subsequently talk about them then I think you may need to mature a little bit before stepping out into the big bad world. Your high ping is not the end of the world and isn't even that bad to be honest, pursue the fault through the proper channels, make a formal written complaint by all means but showing people doing their job a bit of courtesy would go a long way to helping you.

zing_deleted
11-10-2008, 11:52
Racist abuse of any kind will not be tolerated on this forum. Any further posting of this ilk will result in further action being taken