PDA

View Full Version : Glow worm boiler help very cold !!!

Mike
09-10-2008, 19:48
Hi all from under my blanket.

It would be grateful for some help on a boiler problem I have !

I have a Glow worn 24 cxi and when I switch it on the control light is green then flashes red and the display shows a pressure of 0.4bar ???? Is this for information or is the light red flashing as the pressure is to low. Ie if the pressure is increased would it work ???

Many thanks for your time and time regards....anyone for ice tea

Mike

Bulky
09-10-2008, 20:19
i'm pretty sure this is the pressure in the central heating system itself , if the pressure in the system is not high enough the boiler will shut down (it does on mine anyway) , instructions are here :http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/discontinued/boilers/CXI_range.pdf

have a look through the fault finding part , might just be a case of topping up the system but you could also have a leak somwhere .

progers
09-10-2008, 21:59
Hi all from under my blanket.

It would be grateful for some help on a boiler problem I have !

I have a Glow worn 24 cxi and when I switch it on the control light is green then flashes red and the display shows a pressure of 0.4bar ???? Is this for information or is the light red flashing as the pressure is to low. Ie if the pressure is increased would it work ???

Many thanks for your time and time regards....anyone for ice tea

Mike

You should have a "filler valve" and a pressure guage somewhere; you need to pressurise your system to 1 bar in order for the boiler to work - you do this by turning on the filler valve slowly until the pressure guage shows 1 bar, then turn off the filler valve.

Pressurised systems do depressurise over time but if yours does it quickly, suspect a leak, this could be anywhere so look for tell tale signs like patches of water under radiators.

Mike
09-10-2008, 22:26
You should have a "filler valve" and a pressure guage somewhere; you need to pressurise your system to 1 bar in order for the boiler to work - you do this by turning on the filler valve slowly until the pressure guage shows 1 bar, then turn off the filler valve.

Pressurised systems do depressurise over time but if yours does it quickly, suspect a leak, this could be anywhere so look for tell tale signs like patches of water under radiators.

Thanks very much for the advice..........would this lack of pressure cause the red light to flash ?

Many thanks again

Mike

Nidge
12-10-2008, 07:25
Thanks very much for the advice..........would this lack of pressure cause the red light to flash ?

Many thanks again

Mike

Mine leaks when the pressure gets to much, my boiler is sitting at just under 3bar it's now dripping a little, when the pressure drops below 1bar the heating doesn't work, like whats been mentioned above you have to get the pressure upto 1bar to enable the boiler to run your heating.

Osem
12-10-2008, 08:53
As already suggested the instructions you need are here:

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/discontinued/boilers/CXI_range.pdf

Page 8 describes that the control light flashes red if there is a fault and the LCD panel shows the fault code. The codes and what they relate to are listed on Page 39. The manual states that 0.7 bar is the iminmum pressure advised but 1bar is recommended.

HTH!

---------- Post added at 08:53 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Mine leaks when the pressure gets to much, my boiler is sitting at just under 3bar it's now dripping a little, when the pressure drops below 1bar the heating doesn't work, like whats been mentioned above you have to get the pressure upto 1bar to enable the boiler to run your heating.

I'm not sure 3bar on boilers is a good idea tbh. I'm no expert but IIRC on our boilder there is an automatic pressure release valve which operates if the pressure gets much too high however you can operate it manually to reduce the pressure to the recommended level if required.

In the past I had a problem with the filler loop on my boiler which wasn't fully shutting off after use and caused the system pressure to rise over a period of time. Manually operating the pressure release valve soon became a pain in the b*m so we solved the problem by replacing the filler valve.

Mick Fisher
12-10-2008, 18:33
The filling loop must be disconnected when not in use in order to comply with regulations.

You can decrease the pressure by merely bleeding a rad into a bucket should the pressure release be difficult to access.