PDA

View Full Version : My fan heater has stopped working

Saaf_laandon_mo
07-10-2008, 21:12
I have a 1998 R Reg Citreon 2.1 TD Xantia and all of a sudden the fan blowers have stopped working. The fan doesnt come on at all. Does anyone have any ideas or experience as to why this might have happened? Ta

Wicked_and_Crazy
07-10-2008, 21:21
either the fuse, switch or the motor id guess.

Is either side of the switch live? If you throw the switch does to the other side of the switch become live. If these are ok then its out with the motor i'd guess.

AbyssUnderground
08-10-2008, 01:55
Check the resistor, they can cause this problem easily. Best way to do this is to take the motor out and wire it up to a battery and see if it spins. At least you can check if the motor is good, then take out the resistor and check it with a multi-meter.

Kymmy
08-10-2008, 10:56
A lot of carss have a resisitor network built into the fan controllers fed via a thermal fuse, the thermal fuses tend to go...

Saaf_laandon_mo
08-10-2008, 11:23
Now can someone repeat all the above in laymans english lol..... Kymmy I assuem you're saying to check the fuse box right?

Kymmy
08-10-2008, 11:39
Nope....

Had this problem recently on a volvo.... behind the dash and near the fan was a fan control unit that connected to the speed switch on the dash... This was just a resistor network to give you the different speeds, laid across it was a thermal fuse...

Each car though is different.....

What you need to do is firstly check the fan fuse, then with a meter check for 12V at the fan, check that the fan is earthed, then I normally unplug the fan and have a smaller gel cell 12v battery that I then use to confirm if the fan is OK...

If the fan checks out then it's probably the control circuit...On mine it was a thermal fuse that I just bypassed after confirming that the resistor network was all OK...

AbyssUnderground
08-10-2008, 18:11
...On mine it was a thermal fuse that I just bypassed after confirming that the resistor network was all OK...

Thats what I did, worked a treat, but its always best to see if you can find out why it happened because fuses blow for a reason...

Saaf_laandon_mo
08-10-2008, 18:27
How much should I be looking to pay for a mechanic to fix this?

Kymmy
08-10-2008, 18:36
Thats what I did, worked a treat, but its always best to see if you can find out why it happened because fuses blow for a reason...

Thermal fuses tend to blow with age, the older they are the less temp they will blow at ;)

A garage should be able to find the fault in less than an hour, then it's parts and about perhaps another hours labor to rectify it... Remember a garage will not repair a fan, bypass a thermal fuse or anything else like that instead they'll fit a new part