PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent Problem

Pete2
06-10-2008, 23:01
Hi,

Has anyone else had this problem?...

Whenever I have uTorrent running, every few minutes my connection drops for a few seconds then restarts. Obviously this is making uTorrent unusable. I have posted my frequency and power levels on the newsgroup, but I'm told they're fine. This has been getting increasingly worse since I installed a new Ambit 256 modem to replace my old SB4100...:confused:

bmxbandit
06-10-2008, 23:03
Limit upload to < 80% of your upload speed, and/or reduce maximum number of connections - probably most likely to solve the problem :)

JethroUK
06-10-2008, 23:11
Utorrent is a bandwidth glutton although the designers wont acknowledge it

1/ Utorrent has a recognisable signature that ISP's throttle on detection - switch on randomised port

2/ set up utorrent as a scheduled task - to run everytime the computer is idle - only downloads when you're not using it - works perfectly

bmxbandit
06-10-2008, 23:16
Utorrent is a bandwidth glutton although the designers wont acknowledge it

1/ Utorrent has a recognisable signature that ISP's throttle on detection - switch on randomised port

2/ set up utorrent as a scheduled task - to run everytime the computer is idle - only downloads when you're not using it - works perfectly
Only if it's badly set up... :p: Doesn't it randomise the port on first run anyway? If you're worried about throttling, enable or force encryption. Running it only when idle should be unnecessary, and I don't see how this will help in this case?

Pete2
06-10-2008, 23:42
Thing is, I've been using it for a couple of years and it's been fine (apart from slowing down browsing obviously)..it's only since I've had the new modem that I've had problems. It got to the point tonight where it couldn't get any sort of speed up cos the connection was dropping every minute or so. I tried limiting speed/connections but it wasn't having any of it.

Just installed Azureus/Vuze. Thought I'd give it a try, and so far so good..no dropouts (touch wood)..very strange :confused:

bmxbandit
07-10-2008, 00:05
Are you using the latest version? (1.8 (http://www.utorrent.com/)) I found Azureus to be very sluggish in the past, and utorrent much faster. Strange indeed...

JethroUK
07-10-2008, 00:13
..I've been using it for a couple of years and it's been fine (apart from slowing down browsing obviously)....

Logically, downloading a file @ 0.1 megabits should have zero affect on a 2 megabit connection - Designers deny any/all knowledge of it slowing down browsing

but it does - tremendously

Chicken
07-10-2008, 00:28
Logically, downloading a file @ 0.1 megabits should have zero affect on a 2 megabit connection - Designers deny any/all knowledge of it slowing down browsing

but it does - tremendously

Your forgetting to include the huge number of connections/half connections that uTorrent opens and closes. Add in the way M$ have crippled the concurrent TCP connections in XP and you end up with exactly the problem you get - sucky browsing while torrenting.

Pete2
07-10-2008, 07:35
Are you using the latest version? (1.8 (http://www.utorrent.com/)) I found Azureus to be very sluggish in the past, and utorrent much faster. Strange indeed...

Yeah the latest Azureus. I agree about uTorrent being faster, but I don't really have a choice. As I said, uTorrent is unuseable..it doesn't just slow down browsing, it constantly drops the connection. So I'm stuck with Azureus until I can find out why. It has to be related to the new modem..it was fine before I changed :(

JethroUK
07-10-2008, 17:01
Have you tried switching off your modem fro few minutes to pick up a new IP - i suppose it's possible ISP are choking your torrent connection on purpose

Pete2
07-10-2008, 17:28
Have you tried switching off your modem fro few minutes to pick up a new IP - i suppose it's possible ISP are choking your torrent connection on purpose

No I haven't tried that. Would/could they do that? Never heard of it before. Azureus seems to be ok at the moment anyway, so I may stick with that for now. It's very frustrating though, and just as we get a 10mb connection too!..:rolleyes:

Horace
07-10-2008, 19:05
No I haven't tried that. Would/could they do that? Never heard of it before. Azureus seems to be ok at the moment anyway, so I may stick with that for now. It's very frustrating though, and just as we get a 10mb connection too!..:rolleyes:

They could but they'd probably use your MAC address rather than an easy to change ip address and they've always officially denied throttling specific ports or protocols. The real problem is almost certainly either your modem or router if you use one. Changing application (to Azureus) may have reduced the amount of open connections you're running which in turn might solve a problem with a router or modem, I know the old silver ambit NTL modems would sometimes reboot on too many open connections, that was after a bad firmware upgrade tho'.
There was a post on here recently giving the same symptoms and that was solved by replacing the modem.

JethroUK
07-10-2008, 19:25
you could try switch off your firewall temporarily see if thats the reason

gemz
25-10-2008, 19:55
i am having the exact same problem i thought it was a bug in my system but glad to know its not just wish i could sort it

tomjleeds
25-10-2008, 21:02
Your forgetting to include the huge number of connections/half connections that uTorrent opens and closes. Add in the way M$ have crippled the concurrent TCP connections in XP and you end up with exactly the problem you get - sucky browsing while torrenting.

...finally, the voice of reason arrives! ;)

cg1701
25-10-2008, 22:03
The actual bittorent program has its own user interface now (based on uTorrent it would seem) and is very stable and fast.. try that out

JethroUK
05-11-2008, 20:32
..Has anyone else had this problem?...Whenever I have uTorrent running, every few minutes my connection drops for a few seconds then restarts....:confused:

Coincidentally - (maybe?) My B/B connection as started dropping when using Utorrent 1.8 - thinking it maybe the version i have rolled back to 1.7.4 - but still drops the connection

... It's very frustrating though, and just as we get a 10mb connection too!..:rolleyes:

i have also upgraded? to 10 meg quite recently

i think VM are doing this on purpose

Daffy Duck
05-11-2008, 20:43

It's not crippled the concurrent connections at all...it's the half open connections that have been limited.....once the connection is fully established that limit no longer applies......so it doesn't affect the total number of connections you can make...just how fast you can make them.So the most that will do is slow down how fast you can make the maximum connections the client allows but won't stop it reaching that max or slow down the max speed the torrent can reach.

General Maximus
05-11-2008, 21:25
it is funny you should mention it because i have had the same problem with Azureus/Vuze for the last 2 weeks, most noticeably at night time. It will start downloading and go to max speed, then everything drops off for a few seconds and starts back up again and it keeps doing it every 30 secs or so for about an hour. It sorts itself out after a while, i am glad you have got the same problem with a different prog as it shows it is VM which is doing it.

Stabhappy
05-11-2008, 23:37
I am going to bet that you're all using the VM free wireless router?

Its a known issue.

General Maximus
06-11-2008, 01:29
nope, it is the Ambit 256 and a Linksys wireless router, I have been using both for the last couple of years and never had any problems with either of them. I never have any problems with my connection either except for the intermittent torrent problem I have noticed over the last couple of weeks at night time. It doesnt bother me though because when i switch the prog on at night time i leave it running while I am asleep so i know it is eventually going to fix itself throughout the night anyway. I would get very annoyed if it started playing up when I was sat in front of my pc and wanted stuff asap during the day, but it behaves itself. Maybe it is something VM are doing in the evening to try and curb the amount of bandwidth torrents suck up. I read somewhere on this forum (it might have been something Traxdata said) that VM are trialling some programme specific throttling which they were going to implement between now and January, maybe this is it. Rather than chopping speed, they just screw with your connection so you can't even be bothered to download anything anymore because it is so unstable.

v0id
06-11-2008, 01:43

Its a known issue.

I've never had a problem with utorrent dropping connetions...EVER, and I'm using the free telewest router with the VM update firmware to connect wirelessly. :confused:

I have however dumped the latest utorrent for the new Azureus, due to utorrent giving me a permission denied error on EVERY torrent I try to download with the explanation that the files in use..(yeah, the file is in use, utorrent and only utorrent is bloomin' using it).

Oh and I like to update trackers manually on occasions

/end mini rant

xspeedyx
06-11-2008, 08:21
nope, it is the Ambit 256 and a Linksys wireless router, I have been using both for the last couple of years and never had any problems with either of them. I never have any problems with my connection either except for the intermittent torrent problem I have noticed over the last couple of weeks at night time. It doesnt bother me though because when i switch the prog on at night time i leave it running while I am asleep so i know it is eventually going to fix itself throughout the night anyway. I would get very annoyed if it started playing up when I was sat in front of my pc and wanted stuff asap during the day, but it behaves itself. Maybe it is something VM are doing in the evening to try and curb the amount of bandwidth torrents suck up. I read somewhere on this forum (it might have been something Traxdata said) that VM are trialling some programme specific throttling which they were going to implement between now and January, maybe this is it. Rather than chopping speed, they just screw with your connection so you can't even be bothered to download anything anymore because it is so unstable.

As far as I am aware VM couldnt tell that you was using bittorrent just know that you are downloading, they could see it if they use DPI which they dont, as for the appilication throttling the equipment is in the headends but I have spoke to people who have been promised all it does is collect stats, but we will have to wait and see I cant see anything happening

JethroUK
06-11-2008, 17:06
I am going to bet that you're all using the VM free wireless router?.

I'm not

Its a known issue.

Any links?

Stabhappy
06-11-2008, 21:37
Sorry, I have none, I was referring to the problem being with the router when I said it was a known issue, and it is a result of too many connections.

Pete2
09-02-2009, 08:00

Its a known issue.

Yes I am..but it still happens without it...and only since the upgrade, when Virgin sent me an Ambit 256. I've limited my connections, but it still drops every 30secs. The problem is intermittent, but it does render utorrent useless when it's happening. Interesting..especially in the light of the recent talk of throttling torrents..

The Installer
09-02-2009, 10:26
Have you tried limiting your total number of global connections to say 100 and also limit the number of connections per torrent to say 40?

Also only allow 2 or 3 upload slots per torrent and only have a maximum of 5 torrents allowed to be active at any one time and see if that helps.

Been using utorrent here for ages with no problems after switching away from Azureus as it was too bulky.

broadbandking
09-02-2009, 12:40
Have you downloaded the patch to stop XP limiting your half open connections?

Qu3
09-02-2009, 16:15
I had this problem, one day the internet started to just drop every so often..

Turned out a new router fixed the problem.. I was using the free router, the netgear one.. I believed it couldn't handle all the connections the network was trying to put through it..

I went out and got a D-Link DIR-655 and haven't had any problems since..

If your using the free netgear one as well don't rule that out as a source of the problem... free things are generally cheap and nasty... and don't life as long..

Pete2
09-02-2009, 17:33
Have you tried limiting your total number of global connections to say 100 and also limit the number of connections per torrent to say 40?

Also only allow 2 or 3 upload slots per torrent and only have a maximum of 5 torrents allowed to be active at any one time and see if that helps.

Been using utorrent here for ages with no problems after switching away from Azureus as it was too bulky.

YUP, currently set to 75, 30 & 3..doesn't seem to make much difference :dozey:

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Have you downloaded the patch to stop XP limiting your half open connections?

Just tried it...makes no difference.

bob_smyth
09-02-2009, 20:49
No I am having the same problems, I have been using utorrent for some time now, but in the last three weeks it has become unusable, having said that I still have the occasional dropouts when not running utorrent, but when utorrent is running its useless. I have tried bitcommet but had the same problems. I told VM that I am going to quite, I am sick of sending emails and getting nothing, three weeks I have had a useless connection.

Pete2
09-02-2009, 20:55
No I am having the same problems, I have been using utorrent for some time now, but in the last three weeks it has become unusable, having said that I still have the occasional dropouts when not running utorrent, but when utorrent is running its useless. I have tried bitcommet but had the same problems. I told VM that I am going to quite, I am sick of sending emails and getting nothing, three weeks I have had a useless connection.

What was VM's response?..could they give you any reason why it's happening?

bob_smyth
09-02-2009, 21:46
Nothing VM haven't responded to any of my emails, that's why I am quitting, I have wanted to quit for some time but they always talk me out of it, not this time, unless they give me FREE BB for a year they can stick it.

as I said no response not reply nothing

kingbuxton
09-02-2009, 22:22
There is another thread about this somewhere. I was having those exact issues, but only on certain trackers, Linux distros always connected to seeds/peers instantly and with only a few connections I was getting really fast speeds. Any other tracker, no connections, crap speeds and finally no speed at all. Then for about three days my ports kept going Red and I couldn't seem to get them Green, rebooting Modem/Router sometimes fixed it, then they would go Red again. Then I stopped getting www connections full stop for a few days, had to keep rebooting the modem.

And as I said on that thread, I bet it suddenly fixes itself, and it did! Amazing eh? Nothing to do with VM I am sure. Had zero issues now for a week. If I where you, give it a week and it will start to work again.