PDA

View Full Version : My 20Mb Is The Same Speed As My Friends 4Mb

PC Virgin
06-10-2008, 17:03
As above, Me and my mate who live in the same street and have the same desktop pc's get the same speeds when testing it out on all speed test sites.

We both have the Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem, So what the hell is going on, Am I being ripped off as me thinks this 20Mb broadband is just a con :rolleyes:

Gary L
06-10-2008, 17:19
Do you both have the same girlfriend too? :D

PC Virgin
06-10-2008, 17:33
Do you both have the same girlfriend too? :DNo but we both share yours ;)

Gary L
06-10-2008, 17:36
No but we both share yours ;)

I know. that's why I share hers :)

Kymmy
06-10-2008, 17:36
OK, without simple facts we could just turn around and say that a pink elephant sitting on your cable is causing the slowdown.

So at least do a few speedtests (up and down), and give us your modem power and SNR levels as well as locked frequency...

PC Virgin
06-10-2008, 17:48
I know. that's why I share hers :)She cooks a good breakfast your missus ;)

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

OK, without simple facts we could just turn around and say that a pink elephant sitting on your cable is causing the slowdown.

So at least do a few speedtests (up and down), and give us your modem power and SNR levels as well as locked frequency...It could off been nelly the elephant that is slowing my connection down, I'm going after to stop feeding her nuts, reet i shall do one and post results even.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

My result is the same as my mates, Ok im getting what I should be but why is my mate who is on 4Mb connection getting the same result.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/tracyh77/SpeedTest.jpg

Exactly what my mate gets, Seems fishy :erm:

xspeedyx
06-10-2008, 17:51
Thats 20Mb lol your mates on 20Mb doesnt the 19 kinda give it away

Gary L
06-10-2008, 17:52
She cooks a good breakfast your missus ;)

If you really were sharing her with me, you would praise her for doing what she's really good at. and it isn't cooking breakfast! :D

PC Virgin
06-10-2008, 17:54
Thats 20Mb lol your mates on 20Mb doesnt the 19 kinda give it awayHe's not, thats my result, not his but can say he gets the same speed result as me on a 4Mb connection

If you really were sharing her with me, you would praise her for doing what she's really good at. and it isn't cooking breakfast! :DBl*jo*s :D

joglynne
06-10-2008, 18:06
If your mate is with VM he will probably be on 10Mb not 4Mb as the upgrade was completed countrywide over a week ago. Have you actually seen his speed results? Maybe he is winding you up?

xspeedyx
06-10-2008, 18:10
If your mate is with VM he will probably be on 10Mb not 4Mb as the upgrade was completed countrywide over a week ago. Have you actually seen his speed results? Maybe he is winding you up?

Thats what I was thinking

Magilla
06-10-2008, 18:11
No but we both share yours ;)

owned ;)

PC Virgin
06-10-2008, 18:13
If your mate is with VM he will probably be on 10Mb not 4Mb as the upgrade was completed countrywide over a week ago. Have you actually seen his speed results? Maybe he is winding you up?Probably he is on 10Mb, I know he is not winding me up i would kill him if he did :D Still like to know why he gets the same speeds, I have phoned virgin (151) about this but can not give me an explanation, I may as well downgrade myself if thats the case :cool:

Kymmy
06-10-2008, 18:15
What the hell are you compaining about?? You say you;re on 20mb and your speed test proves you;re getting exactly that???

Your friend on 4Mb (though VM have confirmed that all of your area is now on 10Mb for the L BB) is gettig 20Mb means that there's a problem with his modem not yours...

Please provide the OPERATIONAL CONFIG pages from http://192.168.100.1 of your mates modem to prove he's on 10Mb/4Mb and not 20Mb

xspeedyx
06-10-2008, 18:26
probably he is on 10mb, i know he is not winding me up i would kill him if he did :d still like to know why he gets the same speeds, i have phoned virgin (151) about this but can not give me an explanation, i may as well downgrade myself if thats the case :cool:

he is not getting the same as you as he wouldnt get those speeds he is either on 20mb or having you on

Fatec
06-10-2008, 18:43
he is not getting the same as you as he wouldnt get those speeds he is either on 20mb or having you on

Or he's paying for 4Mbit and using a cloned modem to achieve higher speeds.

PC Virgin
06-10-2008, 18:48
What the hell are you compaining about?? You say you;re on 20mb and your speed test proves you;re getting exactly that???

Your friend on 4Mb (though VM have confirmed that all of your area is now on 10Mb for the L BB) is gettig 20Mb means that there's a problem with his modem not yours...

Please provide the OPERATIONAL CONFIG pages from http://192.168.100.1 of your mates modem to prove he's on 10Mb/4Mb and not 20MbWhat the hell is operational config, I cant be bothered going to his house now, but my word should be taken for that he does get these speeds, Also would you not be complaining if somebody got the same service as yourself at a lower price, Me thinks you would.

he is not getting the same as you as he wouldnt get those speeds he is either on 20mb or having you on:rolleyes: He's not, Trust me ;)

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Or he's paying for 4Mbit and using a cloned modem to achieve higher speeds.If you look back in my 1st post I said Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem and besides whats a cloned modem, Do tell me about them :D Only kidding.

Fatec
06-10-2008, 18:52
If you look back in my 1st post I said Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem and besides whats a cloned modem, Do tell me about them :D Only kidding.

*Laughs*

Dont matter what modem it is, all can be hacked.

Either he is telling you lies, on 20Mbit or has a cloned modem :p:

Either way, none are really good ;)

Kymmy
06-10-2008, 19:21
What the hell is operational config, I cant be bothered going to his house now, but my word should be taken for that he does get these speeds, Also would you not be complaining if somebody got the same service as yourself at a lower price, Me thinks you would. and besides whats a cloned modem, Do tell me about them :D Only kidding.

Well that is the facts, you're complaining about a friends connection that you're not willing to provide proof as to your complaint...

Either provide his VM statement saying he's on L package, a direct speedtest or even invite your friend on CF to state the facts himself...

Otherwise what's the problem??? As far as most would be concerned there isn't one without proof...

xspeedyx
06-10-2008, 19:28
Spot on Kymmy - if your gonna complain and not provide proof dont just think people will believe you, if I said VM are giving me 100Mb connection but I aint gonna prove would you believe me NO, in fact I would like VM to provide me a 20Mb conneciton but thats another story, the main fact is your friend is either on the 20Mb package,using a cloned modem or having you on, so please do choose one

whydoIneedatech
06-10-2008, 22:28

Please provide the OPERATIONAL CONFIG pages from http://192.168.100.1 of your mates modem to prove he's on 10Mb/4Mb and not 20Mb
He would not be able to provide a config from a Telewest modem as they now have the pretty coded ones that cannot be cloned.

PC Virgin
07-10-2008, 10:40
Well that is the facts, you're complaining about a friends connection that you're not willing to provide proof as to your complaint...

Either provide his VM statement saying he's on L package, a direct speedtest or even invite your friend on CF to state the facts himself...

Otherwise what's the problem??? As far as most would be concerned there isn't one without proof...I have done one better than posting my regards on here, I have been on the phone (151) and complained about it from my mates house, apparantly he was recieving 20Mb which it was part of a deal that he was recieving for a short period and will automatically downgrade in 3 months time, Something that my mate was unaware off (Thick get) So sorry to off troubled you all, End off :cool:

whydoIneedatech
07-10-2008, 10:47
I have done one better than posting my regards on here, I have been on the phone (151) and complained about it from my mates house, apparantly he was recieving 20Mb which it was part of a deal that he was recieving for a short period and will automatically downgrade in 3 months time, Something that my mate was unaware off (Thick get) So sorry to off troubled you all, End off :cool:
You kept us all amused anyway:p:

Kymmy
07-10-2008, 10:48
So they gave you his details on the phone???????

ROTFL!!!!!!!

PC Virgin
07-10-2008, 11:48
So they gave you his details on the phone???????

ROTFL!!!!!!!No i dont think they would do that, My mate rang he gave his details then i spoke regarding my issues.

You kept us all amused anyway:p::D

xspeedyx
07-10-2008, 13:48
Well this was a fun thread and got me some rep :0)

PC Virgin
07-10-2008, 14:24
Well this was a fun thread and got me some rep :0)whats all this rep stuff about, i think i deserve some too, after all i created this amusing thread :D

xspeedyx
07-10-2008, 14:28
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/103/33602472-the-reputation-system-facts-and-figures.html

Look here

PC Virgin
07-10-2008, 14:29
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/103/33602472-the-reputation-system-facts-and-figures.html

Look hereThanks mate ;)