PDA

View Full Version : Phishing attack warning!

MartininRomford
06-10-2008, 15:12
I applied online this morning for a virginmedia deal that included a £75 V+ installation charge.
I was contacted a few hours later by a girl purporting to be from Virginmedia, asking me to provide my credit card details because - she claimed - Virgin media required an up-front payment of the £75.
Smelling a rat, I asked her to prove who she was, and then asked her to send me an email to the account I'd provided on the application confirming her request.
This email has not arrived, and I conclude that I have (luckily) averted a fraudulent attack on my bank account!

I hope this hasn't happened to anyone else, but BE WARNED!

I'd contact Virgin if they had an email address to send to!

whydoIneedatech
06-10-2008, 16:52
I applied online this morning for a virginmedia deal that included a £75 V+ installation charge.
I was contacted a few hours later by a girl purporting to be from Virginmedia, asking me to provide my credit card details because - she claimed - Virgin media required an up-front payment of the £75.
Smelling a rat, I asked her to prove who she was, and then asked her to send me an email to the account I'd provided on the application confirming her request.
This email has not arrived, and I conclude that I have (luckily) averted a fraudulent attack on my bank account!

I hope this hasn't happened to anyone else, but BE WARNED!

I'd contact Virgin if they had an email address to send to!
Call in on 150 or 0845 454 1111 and speak to someone and they will confirm if a member of staff called you or not, better to be sure or just assume the worst.

Raistlin
06-10-2008, 18:21
Wow, you were very lucky indeed.

Even more lucky that despite being able to a) guess that you were getting V+ installed, and b) guessing that you were going to be charged £75, and c) guessing your contact details, she hasn't yet guessed your card details.

If I were you I'd contact your bank straight away and get a new card just in case she manages it.....

Give Virgin a call on the number above and see if they tried to contact you, or alternatively just sit back without paying the £75 and see if you get V+ installed, I'll sit here and see if I can guess the outcome ;)

Toto
06-10-2008, 19:27

Even more lucky that despite being able to a) guess that you were getting V+ installed, and b) guessing that you were going to be charged £75, and c) guessing your contact details, she hasn't yet guessed your card details.

If I were you I'd contact your bank straight away and get a new card just in case she manages it.....

Give Virgin a call on the number above and see if they tried to contact you, or alternatively just sit back without paying the £75 and see if you get V+ installed, I'll sit here and see if I can guess the outcome ;)

Oh my goodness, I nearly chocked up my cuppa :):):)

on in an hour!
06-10-2008, 21:05

dry,but good :D :D :D
wonder if she knew what channel they were watching when she rang :rolleyes: