PDA

View Full Version : Can you figure this out???

bigcats30
05-10-2008, 15:47
Right here goes

2 days ago my laptop and iphone connected fine to my wireless router (linksys WRT54G V7.04) It was the only wireless signal around my street...

now someone has got a wireless router in my street (ThomsonFA893A is what it comes up as and its secured) and now i can still connect to my wireless router but with limited connection (ie no internet)

no matter what i try (restarting/changing settings in my router etc and on laptop/iphone) i cannot connect to the internet (my pc is connected via ethernet hence how i'm typing on here)

It seems this thomson is causing ME problems and i don't understand why

Any ideas how i can defeat it?

have changed channels (now on channel 5)
enabled mac address permits for my laptop and iphone
wep enabled
changed SSID
Firmware is the most upto date

whydoIneedatech
05-10-2008, 15:51
Right here goes

2 days ago my laptop and iphone connected fine to my wireless router (linksys WRT54G V7.04) It was the only wireless signal around my street...

now someone has got a wireless router in my street (ThomsonFA893A is what it comes up as and its secured) and now i can still connect to my wireless router but with limited connection (ie no internet)

no matter what i try (restarting/changing settings in my router etc and on laptop/iphone) i cannot connect to the internet (my pc is connected via ethernet hence how i'm typing on here)

It seems this thomson is causing ME problems and i don't understand why

Any ideas how i can defeat it?

have changed channels (now on channel 5)
enabled mac address permits for my laptop and iphone
wep enabled
changed SSID
Firmware is the most upto date

Keep changing the channels such as first try channel 1 if no success try channel 12, keep alternating them till you get a clean connection.

bigcats30
05-10-2008, 16:28
yep have tried that and still no internet....though my PS3 and PC connect fine through the router via ethernet

Axegrinder
05-10-2008, 16:36
I have that exact same router, the router does have issues with connectivity, you happed to have the dreaded v7 of the WRT54G. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best channels to use.

bigcats30
05-10-2008, 16:38
I have that exact same router, the router does have issues with connectivity, you happed to have the dreaded v7 of the WRT54G. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the best channels to use.

But its been fine till this bloody Thomson showed up...

Hom3r
05-10-2008, 16:43
Try telling yor router to block his MAC/IP

bigcats30
05-10-2008, 17:03
Try telling yor router to block his MAC/IP

done that still nothing all i get is limited access if i connect wirelessly to my router but if i connect via ethernet everything is fine

whydoIneedatech
05-10-2008, 18:27
done that still nothing all i get is limited access if i connect wirelessly to my router but if i connect via ethernet everything is fine
Do a complete re install of your router and see if it alleviates the problem.

popper
05-10-2008, 23:43

it seems pritty clear to me , the router is working fine as its getting a real VM WAN IP and allowing you to work through the wired part.

the problem is apparently the wireless part, and i suspect the DHCPd server in the router isnt getting through to the wireless parts.

limited connection is a sign your no longer being given a valid LAN IP and route, so go into all your wireless PCs and make them use fixed IPs in the routers LAN range (192.168.0.?) .

enter the right route/gateway as the routers fixed LAN IP or even the WAN side IP will work but not really wise, and use 194.168.4.100/194.168.8.100 as your VM primary/secondary DNS and see if you can then get through from the wireless parts to the net.

i bet your current wireless PCs that report limited connection have a LAN IP of 169.* thats the crappy windows DHCPd kicking in as the routers DHCPd over wireless is messing up, perhaps because of local interference but anything could be causeing it.

using fixed LAN IPs for all your kit is what i always recomend for your fixed PCs as its easyer to keep track for one thing, try it and see. :sleep:

you say you can connect to the router, but thats only through the wired part, or the wireless part too ?

if the windows DHCPd is kicking in, i assume its only the wired part as per above working there.

frogstamper
06-10-2008, 02:10
As someone who is a :dunce: when it comes to these matters, after trying everything reasonably possible I would introduce your neighbours Thomson to a 18lb lump hammer, with the words "I was ere first mate":D

Only kidding, I couldn't resist that, I hope you manage to sort it out...amicably:)

Kymmy
06-10-2008, 09:36
Sounds like one router (the thompson) is very poorly filtered and is causing interference on all the router channels..but it is a possiblility that the recieve filters in the linksys are poorly aligned...

A few options available to you...

Knock on your neighbours door and ask if you can sort this out (trying different channel combos with him)
Report him to OFCOM (even the unlicensed 2.4Ghz band is subject to a non interference clause) though as I said it might be your equipment.
Turn off your equipment to protect it, find a nice friendly radio hame with a 12cm set and turn it up to full power whilst pointing a 30 element yagi in his direction)

Personally I'd go 3, 2, 1 but perhaps others should try 1,2 and 3 as a last resort ;)