PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Issues

s4f8606
04-10-2008, 20:10
Hi, I think this is the right place to post. For several weeks now i have been having to reboot on a daily ( at least) basis as i loose all internet connection. The straange thing is msn and yahoo etc stay connected which tends to make me think this a port problem. My setup is an NTL 250 modem going to a belkin F5D7230-4 router. my desktop pc is hardwired to the router and a laptop connects wirelessly. Both pc,s loose at the same time so i know its not a pc problem. I have not taken the router out of the equation yet ( yes i know its possibly a router problem, but i havent time to rearrange wires and pc etc yet).I have had this setup for quite some years with hardly any probs before now and have been on the same cable since first brought to this area by C&W eons ago. I am in the SK9 area and below are my modem details. Any ideas anyone?Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address :
Serial Number :
Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1014
Hardware Version : 1.19Cable Modem Operation Configuration

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Axegrinder
04-10-2008, 20:26
Downstream power is alittle low, other than that fine, ive also heard that Belkin routers have issues with VM in that it would crash the UBR becuase of alot of DHCP requests.

Stabhappy
04-10-2008, 20:26
That was one router (N1?) and I'm 100% sure they've fixed it by now.

whydoIneedatech
04-10-2008, 20:30
The above power levels are perfectly normal for your 20mb connection and as you say could well be the router, have you actually tried running with a direct connection from the modem so you can rule out the fault being with the router.

The was an issue last year with the version 7 of your router and possibly a firmware update from Belkin may resolve your problem.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

That was one router (N1?) and I'm 100% sure they've fixed it by now.
This one http://www.virginmedia.com/help/belkin.php

s4f8606
04-10-2008, 21:10
Thx for the feedback guys. My router is the ver 2 so that issue is not applicable, router software not picking up any available firmware update for my particular model. Any idea though as to why i loowe internet but not full connectivity ie msn etc

whydoIneedatech
04-10-2008, 22:29
Thx for the feedback guys. My router is the ver 2 so that issue is not applicable, router software not picking up any available firmware update for my particular model. Any idea though as to why i loowe internet but not full connectivity ie msn etc
Try a direct connection if possible.