PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Use of Cable Line

rjinski
04-10-2008, 19:15
Hi,

I've recently moved into a flat where cable was already installed. The previous owner had already had the cable "messed" with. So currently there are two active VM boxes in the main bedroom. One cable coming in,being split, into the two VM boxes on the wall.

Box 1 : Wire straigh to VM tv box and to TV.

Box 2. Wire to anther splitter, each end going into the other 2 bedrooms. In one bedroom its then been split again and being used for the Modem/Router and also an analogue tv signal.

The previous owner has not however put a wire into the kitchen....

Question is, is it legit to use the analogue signal off the cable line, and when trying other splitter's from the likes of B&Q the analogue tv signal will still work, however the modem will then no longer connect. Ideally i'd just like to somehow move my Virgin box for the TV into the kitchen without really upsetting anything else...

Thanks for your help.

Stuart
04-10-2008, 21:10
:welcome: to the forum.

You aren't supposed to mess around with the cables. Quite apart from the fact that it is against the terms and conditions of services, it can also introduce problems with the signal (as is likely to be the case here).

If by "messed" with, you mean the boxes were chipped, please bear in mind that we do not allow discussion of this on this forum, so you will not get help.

Halcyon
04-10-2008, 21:21
As has been said this is a breach of services and is against the terms and conditions.
The fact it is not working is becuase the signal has been going through so many splitters and boxes it is weak and dirty.

If you want to have new sockets or anything installed, you would be best getting an engineer out who can meausure levels and sort out the mess.

:welcome: to the forums by the way.

on in an hour!
04-10-2008, 23:55
:welcome: as above really!! eventually all the cheeky installs will get found out.best to pay the install fee then leave it to VM if anything goes wrong.;)

rjinski
05-10-2008, 14:06
Thanks.

I feel you have mis understood. The reason i said messed was the extension of the cable already into the other two bedrooms. And i dont get any bad signal when its all through the VM supplied splitters. Would I get charged for VM engineer to come out....

Thanks again for your help.

chickendippers
05-10-2008, 17:56
Did an engineer come round to install the equipment, or were you sent a self-install kit? I fear you may have no way of proving that the dogey wiring was the previous owner and not yourself.

rjinski
05-10-2008, 18:39
Not a clue about how it was done before. It all looka pretty legit. Fat cable, all holes in the walls are plugged, and all properly attached to the walls etc...

To one of my main question, can i buy one of the splitters that VM supply, from an outside location?

chickendippers
05-10-2008, 19:01
I mean how was your kit installed? If an engineer came round did he not comment on the strange setup?

rjinski
05-10-2008, 19:35
Ah, when i moved in?

No, it was already all installed and still activated. :-/

Ernie_C
06-10-2008, 10:30
Ah, when i moved in?

No, it was already all installed and still activated. :-/

So the pertinent question is SIMPLE. Are you a Virgin Media customer?

rjinski
06-10-2008, 13:22
So the pertinent question is SIMPLE. Are you a Virgin Media customer?

Yes.

I may have caused some confusion in my grammar. The flat is rented, so previous owner is tenante. The Virgin was never cancelled between the change of contract, just passed over...

chickendippers
06-10-2008, 15:48
So whose name is the Virgin Media contract in? The previous tenant's?

SMHarman
06-10-2008, 16:33
Multiple devices and terminations can come off a cable with no harm as long as they are properly set up and terminated, have the correct cable etc. It sounds like whoever had the cable installed in the flat looked to the future and got cable in most locations that would need it.
If you need another connection in the kitchen it is probably best to pony up the fifty quid or whatever it is to VM to get the work done, otherwise get some quality Sat shielded coax and run a cable from one of the existing points to the kitchen.

rjinski
06-10-2008, 16:59
Cheers,

The cable etc that I have seems pretty exact stuff. Also going to run the cable for the kitchen straight off the 2nd VM box so reduce losses.

Thanks.