PDA

View Full Version : sftp download only going at 140 KB/s. Is this application management?

|Kippa|
04-10-2008, 15:31
When I try downloading off my server it only goes at 140 KB/s at the moment. The server 100mbit up and down with OVH and isn't under any heavy load with regards to the connection at the moment.

I tested my connection speed with some speed test sites and I am downloading at the full 20mbit no problem, yet when I try and download off my server using sftp I only get 140 KB/s.

Under Virgin Media I am in the area of Blackpool\Preston. Is there any application managment inforce at the moment restricting sftp?

dev
04-10-2008, 15:47
if its sftp over ssh, has it ever been faster? from my experience it's usually slow due to the way the protocol is.

|Kippa|
04-10-2008, 16:00
I can usually download using sftp at 10mbit per individual file. I usually download 2 files maxing my home connection out to 20mbit. I have never had any problems using sftp.

Stabhappy
04-10-2008, 17:38
it's certainly not application management if you can test over 5megabit.

|Kippa|
04-10-2008, 17:42
I am not talking about traffic managment, which effects all of your connection, I am talking about application management as far as I can tell just effects certain types of connections. For example downloading off encrypted connection using sftp might be slowed down to 140 KB/s, where as standard none encyrpted connections might be able to download at full 20mbit.

xspeedyx
04-10-2008, 18:34
No as the appilication management that Virgin Media are apperantly using slows your connection to a 512k connection not 1MB connection have you checked your speed elsewhere possible fault with the server? dont always assume its VM's fault

Fatec
04-10-2008, 18:37
OVH have some serious issues with peering to VM users i'm afraid.

This is quite a normal speed for them, course, you could be on SLA too...

|Kippa|
04-10-2008, 18:41
Thanks for the info.

whydoIneedatech
04-10-2008, 19:55

STM not SLA unless he has agreed to it:p:

Stabhappy
04-10-2008, 20:26
I am not talking about traffic managment, which effects all of your connection, I am talking about application management as far as I can tell just effects certain types of connections. For example downloading off encrypted connection using sftp might be slowed down to 140 KB/s, where as standard none encyrpted connections might be able to download at full 20mbit.

ah, my bad.

Boabyboy
05-10-2008, 00:04
Can someone enlighten me about OVH?

AbyssUnderground
05-10-2008, 11:45

You're right, they don't peer at all. They go through DTAG, a German transit link. They did briefly switch to AMSIX last week but they changed back. No idea why. It seems odd though that I never get any speed issues from OVH yet so many other people do...

|Kippa|
05-10-2008, 13:30
There are a lot of other OVH users that are having the same problem with ftp speeds so it isn't Virgin Media's fault (for a change). Here is a link to the OVH forum where other users are complaining about slow ftp speeds.

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=902

Thank god it wasn't application management, hopefully it will be fixed soon and things go back to normal. :-)

Ignitionnet
05-10-2008, 13:57
I just read that forum thread.

Janet is not related to any issues on Virgin Media by the way, they use some of Virgin's fibre in places but do not use Virgin's transit, peering, or IP network, purely wavelengths and/or dark fibre.

Oh and OVH is naff here:

ftp: 104857600 bytes received in 259.15Seconds 404.63Kbytes/sec.

I note multiple ISPs are seeing issues now - are these localised peering issues?

AbyssUnderground
05-10-2008, 20:00
Janet is not related to any issues on Virgin Media by the way, they use some of Virgin's fibre in places but do not use Virgin's transit, peering, or IP network, purely wavelengths and/or dark fibre.

Thats what I meant :) I guess I didn't word it how I meant it.

Boabyboy
06-10-2008, 00:07
Just to confirm that OVH is a hosting povider?

dev
06-10-2008, 00:48
Just to confirm that OVH is a hosting povider?

yes, one that provides servers with unlimited amount of traffic, and by the looks of things, is suffering from it :p:

|Kippa|
09-10-2008, 05:23
Here is a quote from the OVH forums translated to english:

"The link to Globalcrossing in London and temporarily suspended for maintenance."

At least we know what is happening and why. Hopefully all will be well soon. :-)