PDA

View Full Version : is there a reliable upload speed test ?

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
03-10-2008, 23:03
I am still (after 14 weeks) having slow upload speeds, and everytime VM tech support ask me to run tests it is always download speed tests - which obviously mean nothing when my downspeed is fine, and the problem is my upload speed.
Does anyone know a reliable way of testing upload speed, and one which Virgin Media TS will accept as reliable (as they dont trust bbmax, speedtest.net, or any other speedtest sites).
I have just had an email requesting yet again to send results of a traceroute to www.bbc.co.uk and download from gamefiles@virgin lol but these do not test my upload speed !
I pay for 768kbps and only need 200kbps to send my stream to internet radio station servers but it seems this is too much to ask, as my upload speed (as tested on speedtest sites) seems to drop to below 50kbps on a regular basis. My downspeed is always fine.

AbyssUnderground
03-10-2008, 23:17
Find yourself a cheap webhost with unlimited space, get some huuuugggee files, and upload them in tandem, and keep a graph of the speed if you have some software to do it. Then, note down the times it drops and keep a screenshot of it. Thats the easiest way to do it. Speedtests don't often send enough data to be reliable enough but if you're sending GB's over hours at a time then you can't fault the results for that.

Stabhappy
03-10-2008, 23:29
I will gladly give you access to a FTP account to test upload, if you don't want to spend.

Ignitionnet
04-10-2008, 10:25
No idea what they'll accept as reliable but http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk has always been spot on to me in both directions.

Ah sorry just read the post properly.

I think you're stuck... if they would open up the incoming folder in VM FTP so that you could test upload a file there that would work well. As it is if they won't accept bbmax the odds of them accepting what they would describe as a random FTP site's speed is unlikely.

Jonathan90
04-10-2008, 10:50
May i suggest virginmedia ftp server just upload something into the incoming folder.

this is bang on 10mb. if not a 1 kb more.
the file will get deleted straight away on the server but you do actually upload the file

Broadbangings vm ftp does work

Ignitionnet
04-10-2008, 11:27
Thank you - then there's your test that they can't really refuse to accept, it's on their network!

DJ_Nik_Gnashers
04-10-2008, 15:01
Thankyou for your help !

I would upload to my own NTL Webspace but I am suffering the same problem as others ie permission is refused lol :dozey:

Many thanks though, this forum is frequented by the most friendly and helpful people I have ever known, you always try your best to sort out peoples problems - muchos respect to you.

Ignitionnet
04-10-2008, 15:39
Further to what was mentioned above.

Download http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/10MB_nonzero.bin

This is a 10MB file exactly as it says :)

Stick it on the root of your C:

Open a command prompt - start - run - cmd

type ftp ftp.virginmedia.com

When it asks for a username use ftp

For password anything you like.

You'll see a message of the day.

Type: cd incoming

Type: bin

Then, assuming you saved the 100MB file to your C: you type this:

put c:\10MB_nonzero.bin

When you're done you'll get a speedtest result.

Here's the copy/paste below:

C:\Documents and Settings\>ftp ftp.virginmedia.com
Connected to ftp.virginmedia.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.0a Server (Virgin Media Mirrors) [194.117.143.69]
User (ftp.virginmedia.com:(none)): ftp
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
Password:
230- __ / / _ _
/ | / / _ | (_)
/| | / (_)________ _(_)___ _ __ ___ ___ __| |_ __ _
| | / / / ___/ __ `/ / __ \ | '_ ' _ \ / _ \/ ' | |/ ' |
| |/ / / / / /_/ / / / / / | | | | | | __/ (_| | | (_| |
| /_/_/ \__, /_/_/ /_/ |_| |_| |_|\___|\__,_|_|\__,_|
|__/ ________ / / _______________________________________
/_/

Welcome to Virgin Media Mirrors, powered by Virgin Media.
You are allowed 2 concurrent connections!

All transfers are logged.

All our mirrors are available in /sites/.

Uploads should be stored in /incoming and CHANGE -> ftp-mirrors@virginmedia.com
notified.

230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
ftp> cd incoming
250 CWD command successful
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I
ftp> put c:\10MB_nonzero.bin
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 10MB_nonzero.bin
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 10485760 bytes sent in 154.88Seconds 67.70Kbytes/sec.

If this is useful perhaps a passing mod would like to knowledge base it?

If VM are watching perhaps they'd like to stick a test file on their own FTP so that customers can download then upload it? :)

Cheers.

Stabhappy
04-10-2008, 19:31
Alright gents, anyone who wants an automated test of their upload speed (don't have to bother going into CMD, or whatever) then just download:

http://personal.stabhappy.net/vm_uptest/vm_uptest.zip

unzip it to any directory, and run the batch file 'testupload' - it will open the speed test details when it has finished uploading a 10mb file.

I'd appreciate some more knowledgeable members to check this and confirm that it is safe for download.

And of course, credit to wput, developed by Hagen Fritsch. http://wput.sourceforge.net

enjoy

cableguy00
07-04-2010, 17:14
I downloaded the StabHappy upload test, which works great by the way. I would also like to do a download test this way using a server i have access to instead of the virgin media server that is used. any ideas how to do it?