PDA

View Full Version : more lag/slow speeds

arch101
01-10-2008, 23:53
happening usually after around 6 - 7pm and go on for quite a while (its 11:53 pm atm and connection still not working as it should be)

im in sheffield in the S11 area

think im still on 4mb though could of been upgraded today, however ive had these problems for past week or so if not more

my power levels seem fine (had issues with these before but got them sorted)

Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.9 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 41.5 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV

if its over population on the line causing it then is there anything i can do about it or just be ****ed off at virgin medias poor allocation of resources?

fugu
02-10-2008, 03:27
Same started happening to me over the last week or so in Portsmouth/Southsea. I have a feeling its the return of students creating a burden in my area, as throughtout the summer and at about 1am I had (have) pings of ~30 to uk servers, but from about 5pm-12 I get slow speeds and pings jumping from 60-80. The only other possiabilty i can think of is the installation of the new 50meg equipment *dreams on*

I left NTL two years ago, due to the same issue. After jumping through hoops they eventually told me my area oversubscribed and there was nothing they could do (other than wait for a possible upgrade with no date set) looks like i might be heading down the same road once more.

Axegrinder
02-10-2008, 10:45
Downstream power is a little high for an Ex NTL connection. But if you are ex Telewest it is fine.

Ignitionnet
02-10-2008, 14:50
Downstream power is fine for either network. It's the cable modem and SNR that decides whether the power is ok, not the network.

Both networks should be fine up to +15dBmV receive power whatever the bits of paper they have given to tech support are. The only time the networks will differ in power levels they can support is actually at the downstream laser where the downstream power of the DOCSIS carrier should be ideally 6-10dB below the amplitude of an analogue carrier at the same frequency. In the case of 256QAM usually 5-6dBc lower.

arch101
02-10-2008, 18:23
yeah i was more than certain my power levels were fine given that i had an engineer fix them not to long ago

so its over subscription at a guess :/

they need to bring in new laws/standards so they can actually provide the service im entitled too

rule 1: don't oversubscribe an already busy area

Ignitionnet
02-10-2008, 19:13
Haha not likely. Neither Virgin, or ntl or Telewest ever refused new customers on areas they knew were oversubscribed.

arch101
02-10-2008, 20:05
thats what i mean....they SHOULD as in it should be officially implemented, some kind of new isp standard that by law they have to follow

it makes more than enough sense, if they tried to pass this kind of service off in somewhere like japan they'd end up getting laughed at

The PIT
03-10-2008, 19:50
happening usually after around 6 - 7pm and go on for quite a while (its 11:53 pm atm and connection still not working as it should be)

think im still on 4mb though could of been upgraded today, however ive had these problems for past week or so if not more

my power levels seem fine (had issues with these before but got them sorted)

Downstream Receive Power Level : 9.9 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 41.5 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV

if its over population on the line causing it then is there anything i can do about it or just be ****ed off at virgin medias poor allocation of resources?

Perhaps you're on the same ubr as I am. If you are it's over subscribed and last time I asked no date for a fix so i have to keep ringing up each month for a refund which is annoying.

At the moment I've getting 1mb speeds on a 20mb connection. Thank god I still got ukonline so I'm using that rather than virgin.

Magilla
04-10-2008, 00:14

I'm in S7, and it's pretty dire here too since the upgrade. Speeds seem to be averaging out at around 2Mb (I'm alledgedly on the 10Mb service).

AppleSauce
04-10-2008, 13:40
I'm in the S7 area, been fine the past few days.. but since last night and this morning getting 40kb/s off VM's site and around 20kb/s everywhere else.

Getting a lot of drop-outs too.

chickendippers
04-10-2008, 14:11
thats what i mean....they SHOULD as in it should be officially implemented, some kind of new isp standard that by law they have to follow
...and the price would be double its current level.

on in an hour!
04-10-2008, 14:36
agreed ;)

Ignitionnet
04-10-2008, 15:04

Or VM would have had to hold their hands up and admit that they couldn't supply the 10Mbit upgrade on time without messing people's service up. Not likely ;)

arch101
04-10-2008, 16:27
wouldnt mind paying a bit more if i could atleast get the [Mod Edit] service im paying for, this is pathetic 4:30 pm and 400ms latency on whats meant to be a 10mb line, this has to be some kind of breach of contract.

[Moderator Edit (Rob M): Please don't try to bypass the swear filter. The intent of the word you obfuscated was very clear.]

chickendippers
05-10-2008, 00:38
Well in that case you should have signed up for a business provider that provides an SLA on bandwidth and ping. It should be noted that Virgin Media has the lowest ping of consumer IPs (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/now-available-our-first-performance-monitoring-report-417.html)

arch101
05-10-2008, 04:00
it doesnt have the lowest ping when its not providing its service properly...so going by the majority of topics in this section...that links a lie

Ignitionnet
05-10-2008, 09:58
Well in that case you should have signed up for a business provider that provides an SLA on bandwidth and ping. It should be noted that Virgin Media has the lowest ping of consumer IPs (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/now-available-our-first-performance-monitoring-report-417.html)

It should also be noted that this is only because of DSL's 'interleaving' that is applied by default on a number of ISPs but is removable. Using both Be and Homechoice on fast path I could ping www.linx.net in 5 - 6ms, lower than my first hop ping on Virgin.

2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.183.64.1

Virgin's network is and always has been atrocious at taking the 'quickest path' to anything, I note that from here to go to the BBC I go via Croydon, Brentford, Guildford, London Docklands. Croydon has a connection to Poplar which is very close to where the Beeb are.

Virgin if they actually want that lowest ping title need to tweak network a bit to get it to ping lower on first hop and to build a proper London ring so that we don't end up going to Poplar (within spitting distance of the London Internet Exchange) then arbitrarily to Winnersh or Northampton before going around the houses to get back to LINX.

Just a minor observation and commentary from my own experience :)