PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with my internet?

xxxxxx
01-10-2008, 22:03
I'm from Liverpool. My internet can't seem to go higher than 500 kb/s, and it's been this way for about 4 days. Anyone else in Liverpool having this problem? We were supposed to get an upgrade and I don't know if I got it or not.

Any help would useful.

CIS
01-10-2008, 22:12
Liverpool is so messed up right now, I posted this on another thread (before I did see this one)

Problems with the Liverpool area have been bad for a good two weeks now (cut-off's slow downs and some sites not working) and now tonight i'm hardly getting broadband seeds at all.

It's really not good enough.

D.Casey
02-10-2008, 14:05
I'm from Liverpool. My internet can't seem to go higher than 500 kb/s, and it's been this way for about 4 days. Anyone else in Liverpool having this problem? We were supposed to get an upgrade and I don't know if I got it or not.

Any help would useful.

What package are you paying for? also is this a constant problem or just dureing peak hours?

xxxxxx
02-10-2008, 17:43
What package are you paying for? also is this a constant problem or just dureing peak hours?

All day the internet has been slow. I'm on 4mb, so supposed to get a 10mb upgrade. I've got the Motorola Surfboard 5100, so it should be alright to take the upgrade.

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 17:56
I'm in Hertfordshire and it's been bad all day only getting 40kbps from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com

xspeedyx
02-10-2008, 17:59
Can you post your modem configs so the techies can check signal levels

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 18:14
Just been speaking to support they are going to send me a new modem.

Upstream Status

Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Downstream Status

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 30.2 dB

xspeedyx
02-10-2008, 18:43
Your modem configs looks fine if you ex - telewest and look like if they go any higher it can cause issues if your ex - ntl

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 19:29
Just been speaking to support they are going to send me a new modem.

Upstream Status

Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Downstream Status

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 30.2 dB
He is NTL you can tell by the Downstream Frequency;) and if he is connected to Bromley his power levels are spot on.

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 19:34
Langley I believe, was NTL Cambridge

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 19:36
Langley I believe, was NTL Cambridge
Then a modem may not fix your issue an engineer would have been better;)

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 19:43
Is there something wrong with the levels?

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 19:45
Is there something wrong with the levels?
Why are they sending the modem, if they think the is a problem then an engineer would have made more sense.

What modem do you have at the moment and what speed are you on.

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 19:56
The guy in India said he would send a new modem, not sure why.

Have a NTL 200 on the 20Mb package.

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 20:06
The guy in India said he would send a new modem, not sure why.

Have a NTL 200 on the 20Mb package.
It is better that you will get an Ambit 256 modem for your 20mb connection as the NTL200 is one of the earlier 20mb capable modems, but what was the issue he replaced it for.

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 20:13
I'm in Hertfordshire and it's been bad all day only getting 40kbps from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com

This issue

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 20:21
This issue

I saw that but did he run diagnostics or just send a modem?

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 20:24
I saw that but did he run diagnostics or just send a modem?

He said he was running diagnostics when I was speaking to him, also said I had the NTL 120 but the label on mine says NTL 200 and the MAC address matches what his system said.

He said everything looked fine, next thing I know he was order a new modem.

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 20:35
He said he was running diagnostics when I was speaking to him, also said I had the NTL 120 but the label on mine says NTL 200 and the MAC address matches what his system said.

He said everything looked fine, next thing I know he was order a new modem.
On dear another notch on the stupid board, he has enough tools to tell him exactly what model that modem is, but you have gained a new modem out of it anyway.;)

Let us know if the new modem resolves the issue.

jana
02-10-2008, 21:59
I think the problem lies with the internet connection itself. When the modem communicates the connection and the hardware problem gets solved. If the problem still persists the only possibility is of a virus and problem with the source connection.

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 22:04
I think the problem lies with the internet connection itself. When the modem communicates the connection and the hardware problem gets solved. If the problem still persists the only possibility is of a virus and problem with the source connection.
We cannot make assumptions such as that because we have not run diagnostics or run any tests on his connection, it could be many things causing this issue, but he has had a modem sent out as a quick fix.;)

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 22:06
Well we have now lost the TV and Internet, spoke to India again and they have booked a tech for tomorrow afternoon.

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 22:20
Well we have now lost the TV and Internet, spoke to India again and they have booked a tech for tomorrow afternoon.

A bit more like it, what did she say it was, we do have some good Tech's out there.

xxxxxx
02-10-2008, 22:25
My upload speed is faster than my download speed. This is unbelievable.

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 22:30
She didn't say just asked my to unplug the standard V boxes leave it for two minutes and then plug it back in, the box got stuck on LD20.

The two V+ boxes also have the same issue, when I look at the DIAG screen it reports tuner 1,2,3 Unlocked

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 22:37
She didn't say just asked my to unplug the standard V boxes leave it for two minutes and then plug it back in, the box got stuck on LD20.

The two V+ boxes also have the same issue, when I look at the DIAG screen it reports tuner 1,2,3 Unlocked
So its logged as a DTV fault, could turn out to be an area fault, what we term as an Outage, if that is the case you may not get your Engineer, let us know if he comes.

At least you are still getting your modem.

sprattgraham
02-10-2008, 22:45
If it is an area fault could it also have been affecting the broadband, at least the phone is still working.

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 22:51
If it is an area fault could it also have been affecting the broadband, at least the phone is still working.
You have a siamese cable coming into your property, one side carries the broadband signal plus the dtv signal, the smaller side is your telephone side, so unless the is a major fault you tend not to lose all 3 services at the same time.

Yes the broadband and dtv can both be affected by an area fault, we will know tomorrow.;)

beasty54
02-10-2008, 23:26
My internet has been a right pain for the last couple of days. Yesterday i had 2 hours downtime and today i had an hours downtime. I still seem to be able to hit the max 20mb when downloading but my browsing is so slow its unbearable. This is the first time since last October that ive had any issues.

smee init
02-10-2008, 23:41
Hi guys this might open your eyes and could be the reason https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html not very nice is it?

D.Casey
02-10-2008, 23:44
My internet has been a right pain for the last couple of days. Yesterday i had 2 hours downtime and today i had an hours downtime. I still seem to be able to hit the max 20mb when downloading but my browsing is so slow its unbearable. This is the first time since last October that ive had any issues.

I notice your from lincoln, theres been major problems in the lincolnshire area today, scunny,lincoln,grimsby etc. Maybe they'll finish the work off tommorow.

beasty54
02-10-2008, 23:53
Hi guys this might open your eyes and could be the reason https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html not very nice is it?

We all know about the traffic management and have done for a while, its old news now and has nothing to do with the problems ive had over the last 2 days

I notice your from lincoln, theres been major problems in the lincolnshire area today, scunny,lincoln,grimsby etc. Maybe they'll finish the work off tommorow.

I hope so because its pretty annoying when it happens on your days off.

smee init
03-10-2008, 00:06
[QUOTE=beasty54;34646864]We all know about the traffic management and have done for a while, its old news now and has nothing to do with the problems ive had over the last 2 days

So does this traffic management go across the UK or is it done locally?

xxxxxx
03-10-2008, 00:09
We all know about the traffic management and have done for a while, its old news now and has nothing to do with the problems ive had over the last 2 days

Yeah. Mine has been terrible for days now. Definitely nothing to do with the traffic.

beasty54
03-10-2008, 00:12
So does this traffic management go across the UK or is it done locally?

Its the entire Virgin network and its automatic as far as i'm aware

---------- Post added at 00:12 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Yeah. Mine has been terrible for days now. Definitely nothing to do with the traffic.

Its a shame because mine has been perfect for 11 months but unlucky for virgin that its started playing up right at the end of my contract.

sprattgraham
03-10-2008, 00:32
You have a siamese cable coming into your property, one side carries the broadband signal plus the dtv signal, the smaller side is your telephone side, so unless the is a major fault you tend not to lose all 3 services at the same time.

Yes the broadband and dtv can both be affected by an area fault, we will know tomorrow.;)

Support have confirmed it's an area fault and it should be fixed by 10am, don’t they work during the night to fix network faults.

smee init
03-10-2008, 00:44
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the traffic management is centralised or split up into areas, reason I'm asking is just that must be a little unfair to all people who live in highly populated cities as there would be alot more users?

beasty54
03-10-2008, 00:55
Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the traffic management is centralised or split up into areas, reason I'm asking is just that must be a little unfair to all people who live in highly populated cities as there would be alot more users?

The traffic management has nothing to do with where you are and is applied to each individual line IF that individual exceeds the download limits set at peak times

smee init
03-10-2008, 01:03
The traffic management has nothing to do with where you are and is applied to each individual line if that individual exceeds the download limits set at peak times

Of course its applied to each line but surely it cant manage the entire Virgin network as one or can it? All I am asking is if anyone knows for definite as it would interesting to know.

beasty54
03-10-2008, 01:07
Of course its applied to each line but surely it cant manage the entire Virgin network as one or can it? All I am asking is if anyone knows for definite as it would interesting to know.

I'm not quite sure what your trying to say :confused: Lets say the system is split up into regions which it probably is, what difference would it make? I'm just a bit confused as to why more users in a certain area would make anything unfair?

smee init
03-10-2008, 01:20
I'm not quite sure what your trying to say :confused: Lets say the system is split up into regions which it probably is, what difference would it make? I'm just a bit confused as to why more users in a certain area would make it unfair?

well if it is split up into regions and say one region has more users than another (due to location i.e large city) then it is likey to have more heavy users than another region and so if the traffic managment is also split into regions then that would slow down connection speed for those in that region, can you see what I mean?

beasty54
03-10-2008, 01:29
well if it is split up into regions and say one region has more users than another (due to location i.e large city) then it is likey to have more heavy users than another region and so if the traffic managment is also split into regions then that would slow down connection speed for those in that region, can you see what I mean?
you seem to be suggesting that the traffic management would affect the whole region but it wouldn't, no matter how many people are in a certain region, only the ones that exceed the limits will be throttled

smee init
03-10-2008, 01:43
you seem to be suggesting that the traffic management would affect the whole region but it wouldn't, no matter how many people are in a certain region, only the ones that exceed the limits will be throttled

Arh I see now stupid me duh wasnt reading it right maybe a trip to opticians is needed :cool::D
Just one other thing if I am on xbox live playing a game and hosting the room would I be exeeding the limit at all I have 20Mb line and when on xbox playing I am on it for hours? (not sure how much data xbox would use)

beasty54
03-10-2008, 01:51
Arh I see now stupid me duh wasnt reading it right maybe a trip to opticians is needed :cool::D
Just one other thing if I am on xbox live playing a game and hosting the room would I be exeeding the limit at all I have 20Mb line and when on xbox playing I am on it for hours? (not sure how much data xbox would use)

The amount transfered will vary obviously and although FPS and racing games use the most, it doesn't even come close to the limits virgin have put on the 20mb package. If your hosting a game in COD4 for example you'll transfer about 100mb an hour.

D.Casey
03-10-2008, 02:19

I & others on my post code(Cleethorpes dn35) have had a problem for the past month + where we only get 0.2 to 0.5mb on our 20mb lines after 5pm everyday (usually takes 10 mins to open a web page lol).

We've been told only a reseg will sort this problem & our area hopefully starts very shortly.

Hopefully we'll all get sorted :p:

whydoIneedatech
03-10-2008, 09:30
Support have confirmed it's an area fault and it should be fixed by 10am, don’t they work during the night to fix network faults.
Yes they work during the night, thats why your fix time is 10am, I had a feeling it would be a Outage.;)

sprattgraham
03-10-2008, 09:37
Back now, pitty they don't update there website and the internet seems to be working sort of ok 1.5MB/Sec

whydoIneedatech
03-10-2008, 09:40
Back now, pitty they don't update there website and the internet seems to be working sort of ok 1.5MB/Sec
A little bit more diagnostics by the CSR would probably have pointed towards it being an Outage.

Look on the bright side, you got a new modem out of it, if the Outage had been spotted no modem would have been sent.

Ignitionnet
03-10-2008, 11:18
The amount transfered will vary obviously and although FPS and racing games use the most, it doesn't even come close to the limits virgin have put on the 20mb package. If your hosting a game in COD4 for example you'll transfer about 100mb an hour.

The upstream on the 20Mbit is so pants it's actually quite hard to trip STM on it.