PDA

View Full Version : need a longer cable

Mair
01-10-2008, 21:26
sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place or if someone has already posted similar. I need to move my pc 5 feet to the left but the cable from the box on the wall to the back of the modem won't reach. I rang up to ask for a longer cable but for this they will charge me £75 call out, plus the cable. This to me seems a ridiculous amount for 5 feet of cable. What is this cable - is it standard coax? Could I buy some and extend it myself? Virgin say I can't but surely it can be done? If anyone knows what cable I'd need to buy and how to do it please let me know! I was previously an ntl customer - Virgin media's customer support is worse than theirs was, IMO

zing_deleted
01-10-2008, 21:34
Buy a longer ethernet cable. Do you have any local pc shops? do not buy from pcworld as you will be fleeced.

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2046 this one with standard postage comes to less than 4 quid

Halcyon
01-10-2008, 21:36
As David says, leave the box where it is and just have a longer Ethernet cable.
Much cheaper and you can have upto approx 100 metres.

I buy mine from here:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/cat5e-rj45-rj45-moulded-patch-cable.html

Mair
01-10-2008, 21:40
its not the ethernet cable is it? That's what connects the modem to the pc, this is the long cable that comes from the box into the back of the modem, which looks like a thick white wire, just like an ariel lead. I have a long ethernet cable but I need to move the modem, otherwise its going to be sitting in the middle of the room with a long cable running to the pc !

zing_deleted
01-10-2008, 21:43
ok the cable from the white box on the wall goes to the modem. Stick some double sided velcro to the base of the modem and to the wall mounting the modem next to the white box . I am guessing you have a plug socket near there also as it was living there before was it not ;) then route the longer network cable to the pc :) would still be a neat job :)

Ken W
01-10-2008, 21:45
its not the ethernet cable is it? That's what connects the modem to the pc, this is the long cable that comes from the box into the back of the modem, which looks like a thick white wire, just like an ariel lead. I have a long ethernet cable but I need to move the modem, otherwise its going to be sitting in the middle of the room with a long cable running to the pc !

Make sure that you use satellite quality cable, I am sure you can get it at Maplins

Mair
01-10-2008, 21:48
guess I didn't explain things very well - the pc is around 6ft away from the actual box on the wall, the cable from the box runs along two walls of the room to where the pc is - there's no mains plug sockets anywhere near the main box - the whole point is to move the pc to a different place to a) save running a 6 gang extension lead for 8 ft around 2 more walls, and b) as the room is being re arranged. Difficult to explain without drawing a picture lol

Halcyon
01-10-2008, 21:49
Changing the length of cable or adding your own cable anywhere on modem side back to the wall is not a good idea. You can change your signal levels and also cause problems to othe people on the network.
I'm not saying it isnt possible, but that it cancause problems if not done correctly.

That is why I reccomend that if you can leave the modem next to your wall point do so and instead use a long ethernet cable, or indeed wireless access point if desired to connect from modem to your PC.

EDIT:

Ok, in that case you will need to have the coax cable extended. If you see a Virgin engineer down your street, bake him a sandwhich, give him £20 and he may do it for you. You never know.

zing_deleted
01-10-2008, 21:50
its not as simple as buying a cable and fixing the f type connector to the end they should be crimped or and fitted correctly of you could create yourselves problems

Kymmy
01-10-2008, 21:51
Just get a decent quality 75 ohm co-ax and two F-plugs (most are twist on and you just have to make sure that you do NOT short out the conductor to the shield)..If in doubt how to do it then you'll have at least one friend who will know as it's standard cable/sat wiring..

zing_deleted
01-10-2008, 21:54
Kymmy you know your not supposed to do that ;)

Mair
01-10-2008, 22:01
Lol - s'ok. No, I don't have at least one friend who would know hence me having to learn to do these things myself now. Also different messages here, yes I can do it no I can't, it may cause problems...... probably cheaper to get an electrician in to put a mains socket near the cable box! Maybe I won't re-arrange the room...........the cable to the V+ box might not reach either :s

v0id
01-10-2008, 22:08
Just put a couple of screws in the wall
At least that's all it took to mount the EPC2100 modem they sent me.

Then run an ethernet cable to the PC

Mair
01-10-2008, 22:10
ermmmmmmmmm as I said - no power socket nearby

v0id
01-10-2008, 23:09
That was a bit silly to have the cable point where there isn't a socket now wasn't it?

Mair
02-10-2008, 10:16
I didn't have a choice - the cable point is on the only outside wall - a wall which also has no power sockets. At the time they were'nt wiling to put the box anywhere else

zing_deleted
02-10-2008, 10:33
tell you what why dont you keep an eye out for a guy in a cable van and ask him to make you up a cable long enough and bung him £15 / £20 quid for it :)

Mair
02-10-2008, 10:46
a virgin media engineer? Wow - they're as rare around here as hen's teeth :) Probably because of the 75 quid call out charge!

zing_deleted
02-10-2008, 10:48
well its an idea

Chris
02-10-2008, 11:04
Lol - s'ok. No, I don't have at least one friend who would know hence me having to learn to do these things myself now. Also different messages here, yes I can do it no I can't, it may cause problems...... probably cheaper to get an electrician in to put a mains socket near the cable box! Maybe I won't re-arrange the room...........the cable to the V+ box might not reach either :s

Everyone is giving you their own favoured solution, nobody so far has tried to explain the situation to you fully. Let me have a go ...

You're not supposed to alter the length of the cable inside your house because it is possible that the signal level to the modem will change as a result. If that happens, the modem may not function properly. If a VM tech comes out to do a repair and finds DIY cable in your set-up, then you will be charged for his visit. Currently £75 call-out plus parts.

However - changing the length of the cable often has no adverse effect at all. In fact, when I had mine installed, the tech left me two very different lengths of cable so I had options to move the desk around afterwards. I did this, quite successfully, without ever breaking my internet service.

You can get a tech in to provide you a longer cable, but then you will end up with the £75 call-out plus parts. The alternative is to get satellite-grade coaxial cable with moulded f-plugs already in place. Do not buy bare cable and screw-on f-plugs to assemble yourself. The more DIY you have to do, the greater the chances of you causing yourself problems.

This is the sort of thing you need: http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalog/F_Connector_Cables.html

Finally, as some have suggested, the safest solution of all is to leave the modem where it is, or put it next to the cable wall box, and then either buy a long ethernet cable to route round your wall to the PC, or else buy a wireless router, install it next to the modem, and put a wireless card into your PC if it doesn't have one already. Neither of these solutions risk compromising the cable network in any way, although they may not be as tidy in your room.

Kymmy
02-10-2008, 11:14
VM's own CS have stated that someone can buy a cable (and only a cable...not a modem or STB) to replace a missing cable (especially for self installs)

Chris specifies that the length of cable can be an issue and sometimes isn't an issue. A good rule of thumb is if the extra length (or if shotening a cable the reduced length) is less than 10M and a good quality double shielded cable is used then the signal levels will not be drasticly effected unless your signal level were on the borderline previous to the cable change.

Remember VM and CF will take no responsibility for someone making a mistake and damaging your equipment as the risk and possible costs are yours alone and trust me one shorted out cable can blow your STB/CM and the modem in the green cabinet somewhere down the road...

What I would suggest is that if you are not conversant with co-axial cable, the different sizes, shielding and impedance and also the correct way of cutting the cable and fitment of a F plug then for gawd sake get VM to do it for you...

tonythedog
03-10-2008, 22:57
hi you have two options as one bloke said try and collar an engineer my son is one and he said they will do jobs like this all day long give him £20 and happily do the job they are not brilliantly paid and love to earn extra cash and the only other way is to try and get the foam filled coax cable they use this is the best quality coax you can by do not use sky cable the varience they use is hocking can cause problems but if you use the right cable you will have no problems and remember to try and get the stinger right at the end of the cable thats what causes most problems hope this helps

Nedkelly
03-10-2008, 23:26
As others have said move it yourself if it works great but if does not then be prepared for a bill .I always charged customers who did this even when they swore blind that our techs did it .They always use cheap cable and screw on connectors which we have never used in this franchise .And if you get it wrong and cause noise on the network yes it does happen you will be disconected until a service tech can go round and sort out the install to stop the noise :D .If you can get the pre made cables with the ends on these seem to be better:)

smee init
03-10-2008, 23:51
Hi, you can buy the f type cables from Maplins already made up but before recabling it do a few connection tests then put new cable in and do connection test again if its alot different then call them out because as far as I'm aware VM are responsible for signal strength but I could be wrong (what they dont no cant hurt).