PDA

View Full Version : Work and illness

dogjason1
01-10-2008, 14:51
I have been emplyed fr 7.5 years now and I am off work with a kidney complaint. I have been asked to forward a sick note which I have done and am signed off for 4 weeks. work is very quiet at the moment but there is a locum in my place. Can I lose my job if I am off for too long with the illness. I am hoping to return to work in about 4 weeks but am worried they will keep the locum in my place. I work for a private firm. Also am I correct in thinking that it is up to the individual employer regarding statutory sick pay and if they will pay it or not, if they do not I take it I shall get my normal wages but how long would they keep paying me my full wages being on the sick. I am sightly confused about it all as I have not been off work sick for this length of time before. I would appreciate any help. Many thanks.

Nugget
01-10-2008, 14:56
I have been emplyed fr 7.5 years now and I am off work with a kidney complaint. I have been asked to forward a sick note which I have done and am signed off for 4 weeks. work is very quiet at the moment but there is a locum in my place. Can I lose my job if I am off for too long with the illness. I am hoping to return to work in about 4 weeks but am worried they will keep the locum in my place. I work for a private firm. Also am I correct in thinking that it is up to the individual employer regarding statutory sick pay and if they will pay it or not, if they do not I take it I shall get my normal wages but how long would they keep paying me my full wages being on the sick. I am sightly confused about it all as I have not been off work sick for this length of time before. I would appreciate any help. Many thanks.

I s'pose that the simple answer is 'what does it say in your contract'? Without knowing how long you've been there (and taking into account the fact that you've provided the sicknote), I wouldn't have thought you'd have any risk of action being taken against you :shrug:

As for statutory sick pay, it's just that - statutory. However, it will again depend on your contractual terms, so it's difficult to say one way or another on that :)

Stuart
01-10-2008, 14:57
:welcome: to the forum.

As this is primarily a forum for supporting Cable TV users with problems, not sure how much help we can be.

But, the Deparment of Work and Pensions have a good bit on their site http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_sick_pay.asp

Oh, and as the Articles section would prevent people replying, I have moved the thread to the correct forum.

Anonymouse
01-10-2008, 15:47
You really don't need to worry. Despite what some employers (mine included) would like to believe, this is not the 19th Century. If you're ill, you're ill. Since you have a sicknote declaring you have a genuine illness, you can't be dismissed - that would be tantamount to your being punished for being ill, which is contrary to a number of UK and EU laws. If you find you don't have a job when you return to work, you have by definition been unfairly dismissed. Concentrate on your recovery; covering your job while you're ill is the company's problem, not yours.

dogjason1
01-10-2008, 15:56
Many thanks for all your advice. You have been most helpful. Millie