PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media doesn't like discussing Phorm in its virginmedia.feedback group

Gary L
01-10-2008, 14:11
being talked about in the virginmedia.feedback group.
there's a thread started in there today and technical support quickly jumped on the thread and still are with
This topic is not relevant to vm.feedback. Please keep Phorm and related
topics to vm.disc.bb. FU's set.

It's a feedback group FGS! :mad:

If we all thought like Kevin Patterson then we would ban any feedback about present and future goings on at Virgin Media, just because we don't want to talk about it anymore. when can we start making our feedback known about if we want Phorm or not? when it's already started. when they say well nobody left any feedback about they didn't want it so we just went right ahead with it!

LOL he has posted 7 times now in the space of 2 hours.

Phorm is not currently a Virgin Media service and as such doesn't belong in
vm.feedback, please direct future Phorm posts to vm.disc.bb, not feedback.

That's the reason why the government gets away with things. because we tell each other to stop moaning and let them do what they want were just numbers that don't matter. those that don't stick to being just a number with all the other numbers are pointed at by another number shouting get him! he refuses to be a number like all of us!

xspeedyx
01-10-2008, 14:43
As its not a Virgin Media service gary they merely just told you where to post your comments regarding phorm like the mods here would do if you post a thread in the wrong topic

Raistlin
01-10-2008, 14:45
As its not a Virgin Media service gary they merely just told you where to post your comments regarding phorm like th mods here would do if you post a thread in the wrong topic

Spot on.

The way I understand it is that the 'feedback' group is for just that (and that some limited discussion of that feedback might be allowed), the group they directed people to use would appear to be a discussion group and therefore wholly more appropriate I would have thought.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.....

Gary L
01-10-2008, 14:50
It doesn't matter if it's not a Virgin Media service at the moment. Phorm have again said
Current partners include BT, TalkTalk and Virgin Media - companies representing approximately 70% of the UK broadband ISP market.

Kevin Patterson doesn't know what the company that pays him to do support for them, is doing in the background with Phorm. he's saying we don't have Phorm so shut up. it's like saying to the government we don't like pubs that ban smokers, and they say we haven't banned smoking in pubs yet so shut up about something that we might do in the future.

broadbandbug
01-10-2008, 14:51
Spot on.

The way I understand it is that the 'feedback' group is for just that (and that some limited discussion of that feedback might be allowed), the group they directed people to use would appear to be a discussion group and therefore wholly more appropriate I would have thought.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.....

But to Gary L it may be a cigar shaped UFO ;)

Gary L
01-10-2008, 14:59
Keep the thread on topic please. we are not talking about cigars, UFO's or anything that doesn't look like Phorm today. :rolleyes:

Raistlin
01-10-2008, 16:08
I've deleted the last two posts, which were nothing more than off-topic bickering.

The thread title has been amended to more accurately reflect the discussion, let's all see if we can heed the OP's request to stay on topic shall we?

Thank you :)

v0id
01-10-2008, 16:40
It doesn't matter if it's not a Virgin Media service at the moment. Phorm have again said
Current partners include BT, TalkTalk and Virgin Media - companies representing approximately 70% of the UK broadband ISP market.

Kevin Patterson doesn't know what the company that pays him to do support for them, is doing in the background with Phorm. he's saying we don't have Phorm so shut up. it's like saying to the government we don't like pubs that ban smokers, and they say we haven't banned smoking in pubs yet so shut up about something that we might do in the future.

They may very well be partners, but if Phorm isn't yet impletemented on virginmedias networks, customers aren't experiencing it so can't give feedback on it.

It's not like they're censoring Phorm discussion, they set a FU to the discussion group

Gary L
01-10-2008, 16:51
They may very well be partners, but if Phorm isn't yet impletemented on virginmedias networks, customers aren't experiencing it so can't give feedback on it.

It's not like they're censoring Phorm discussion, they set a FU to the discussion group

It's not about I'm experiencing Phorm and I want to give my feedback on it. it's, I don't want to experience Phorm and here's my feedback on it.

They are censoring the Phorm subject. he isn't doing it off his own back and keeping the group running smoothly. he hasn't even read the thread. just seen the banned word Phorm and re-acted the way he has. the OP asks for confirmation of what the new report states.

The latest offering by the censor team is

The feedback group is for feedback for actual services provided by VM.
Not supposition and inference from something Phorm or external sources are
saying. Discussion around Phorm and VM taking it up or not are always
welcomed.

Are we all going to feel like the numbers we are as soon as they say here's Phorm everybody!

If all of us were to say we are transferring all our services to Sky. the first thing they would say is, well thanks anyway we got bored of our own company and fancied going bust anyway.

Chris
01-10-2008, 16:56
It's not about I'm experiencing Phorm and I want to give my feedback on it. it's, I don't want to experience Phorm and here's my feedback on it.

They are censoring the Phorm subject. he isn't doing it off his own back and keeping the group running smoothly. he hasn't even read the thread. just seen the banned word Phorm and re-acted the way he has. the OP asks for confirmation of what the new report states.

The feedback group is for feedback for actual services provided by VM.
Not supposition and inference from something Phorm or external sources are
saying. Discussion around Phorm and VM taking it up or not are always
welcomed.

Are we all going to feel like the numbers we are as soon as they say here's Phorm everybody!

You're making something out of nothing. All they've done is clarify their moderating policies for the various groups they operate. They haven't censored your topic, they have simply asked you to post it in the correct place, much as we do on this forum all the time.

Gary L
01-10-2008, 17:14
You're making something out of nothing. All they've done is clarify their moderating policies for the various groups they operate. They haven't censored your topic,

I don't think they'd go as far as to delete it to censor it. where has the word censorship come from anyway? I didn't say anything about censorship initially.

they have simply asked you to post it in the correct place, much as we do on this forum all the time.

They want it out of the feedback group so they don't have to reply to anything asked. anything can be confirming the new statement being made today, or tomorrow.
if all future posts containing the subject Phorm are made to the discussion groups then no answers from Virgin can be given as it's a discussion group and likely to not get a reply from Virgin.

very convenient really.

Raistlin
01-10-2008, 17:20
I don't think they'd go as far as to delete it to censor it. where has the word censorship come from anyway? I didn't say anything about censorship initially.

Probably from this post:

They are censoring the Phorm subject.

[...]

[...]

They want it out of the feedback group so they don't have to reply to anything asked. anything can be confirming the new statement being made today, or tomorrow.
if all future posts containing the subject Phorm are made to the discussion groups then no answers from Virgin can be given as it's a discussion group and likely to not get a reply from Virgin.

very convenient really.

There's no reason whatsoever why people shouldn't post feedback to the feedback group when Virgin have announced that they are implementing Phorm, at that point the postings would constitute feedback on a current Virgin product.

At the moment the correct place to discuss it is in a discussion group. You may be worried that you're unlikely to get a response from them regarding Phorm in the discussion group, but surely that slight possibility is better than the absolutely no chance that you've got of getting one it the feedback group ;)

Gary L
01-10-2008, 17:28
There's no reason whatsoever why people shouldn't post feedback to the feedback group when Virgin have announced that they are implementing Phorm, at that point the postings would constitute feedback on a current Virgin product.

You know as well as I do Rob. Virgin will never tell us they are implementing Phorm. they will keep denying it until the day it's implemented. just like they did with STM. only they haven't got around to telling us about STM really either.

bonzoe
01-10-2008, 18:47
Does anyone know if VM staff participate in the discussion group? If they do, they will see Phorm being discussed and what people think of it, although I expect that they already have a good idea from previous posts on CF and letters sent to VM.

Toto
01-10-2008, 18:58
Virgin will never tell us they are implementing Phorm. they will keep denying it until the day it's implemented.

And yet, they have publicly admitted to looking at the technology, and said that any public trials will be announced.

Sorry Gary, I understand your beef, but its coming across as retoric. Lets not forget that Kent can spin better than gravity itself. The only company in the UK that is trialling the service is BT. VM and CPW have said they are looking at the technology, but please stop taking the lack of news as an admission of some wider conspiracy.

Lets just be patient. :)

rossdagley
01-10-2008, 19:29
Here's "feedback" for VM. I'm leaving VM next month for several reasons - one of which is that VM are "looking at phorm" technology.

I don't want to discuss it - its feedback. :|

Raistlin
01-10-2008, 19:53
If you have feedback for VM then please post it in the appropriate newsgroup or contact them directly. This thread is not the appropriate place for it as your feedback is off topic and VM are unlikely to see it anyway.

Thanks.

rossdagley
01-10-2008, 20:16
If you have feedback for VM then please post it in the appropriate newsgroup or contact them directly. This thread is not the appropriate place for it as your feedback is off topic and VM are unlikely to see it anyway.

Thanks.

It was a rhetoric statement ;)

I've already explained why I'm leaving. I'm simply stating if you wanted to leave feedback for VM (and I think it's fair to say my above post would be feedback, should I direct it so) then surely leaving it in the VM.fb newsgroup *IS* in fact an appropiate place to do it? Regardless of whether VM have rolled out the "feature" or not yet - how can one object to it if not via feedback?

We should wait until it's rolled out (with VM saying "well, we announced we were looking at it and no one complained...") and THEN cry foul?

ikthius
01-10-2008, 21:06
I think they gave you the best oportunity to put forward your point in the right place.....

as you like analogies, here is one: its like asking to check in for a plane ticket at a hospital check in desk.....

seriously, just take your complaint to there, and sign the relevant petitions about it, or better still show them how upset you are by walking to another provider.

moaning about a vm moderation policy on a vm site that is not cf is just a bit weird....

---------------- Now playing: Snow Patrol - You're All I Have (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/snow+patrol/track/youre+all+i+have) via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Sir John Luke
01-10-2008, 21:21
Whilst it may not be appropriate to discuss VM newsgroups here, it is worth noting that Fergal Butler from VM (Internet Product Architect) specifically asked that feedback on Phorm be posted in the FEEDBACK group back in Feb/March time, before doing a 'Liversage'.

Gary L
01-10-2008, 21:31
Whilst it may not be appropriate to discuss VM newsgroups here, it is worth noting that Fergal Butler from VM (Internet Product Architect) specifically asked that feedback on Phorm be posted in the FEEDBACK group back in Feb/March time, before doing a 'Liversage'.

He also said he would gather all feedback and get back to us with some answers. since telling us that he mysteriously disappeared and all we have now is someone telling us that we are not to mention Phorm in their groups.

:confused::shocked:

Here is what Fergal said.

There is now a customer facing statement regarding the Phorm Webwise
technology and some FAQs on this available at:

<<http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webwise.php>>

This is linked to from the main Customer Zone area of the Virginmedia
site at:

<<http://www.virginmedia.com/customers>

The FAQs will be added to over time based on your feedback, and on
more details of how the service will be implemented becoming
available.

If you wish to provide feedback on this then please post a reply in
this thread ONLY.

Please ensure your feedback is clear, concise, and constructive, so
that it can be clearly captured and fed back to enable any points
raised to be addressed.

Please do not use this thread as a discussion thread for this topic as
this will only detract from our ability to collate your feedback and
make sure it is taken on board.

If you do wish to discuss any points raised in this thread then please
use the virginmedia.discussion.broadband group for these discussions,
and this thread for any feedback resulting from the discussions. This
will help to ensure we capture your feedback clearly and accurately in
order to pass it on.
--
regards,

Fergal
Internet Product Architect
Virgin Media

Fergal says that details of how the service will be implemented will be available.
Phorm are constantly reporting that Virgin is part of Phorm, and if Virgin are saying they are not then why are they not telling Phorm to quit saying that they are? they're not beause they are in with Phorm and any discussion about this is not allowed because it hasn't started yet.

30 September 2008
Virgin Media and Carphone Warehouse, the second and third-largest broadband providers in the UK, are planning Phorm trials.

Is this true?

Phorm is not a service we provide, so this question does not belong in feedback where we might have to answer it.

Jonathan90
01-10-2008, 22:06
Gary i'm with darth on this one they do not provide the service ( if you can call it that) therefore there is no feedback available as noone uses it. so basically its the wrong section.

Gary L
01-10-2008, 22:29
they do not provide the service therefore there is no feedback available as noone uses it.

So the theory is if they don't provide it yet, you can't voice your concerns of them providing it in the future.
you have to wait till they do provide it and then you can voice your concerns about you not wanting it.

If only the government thought of that idea. they'd be making new rules up every 5 minutes instead of every hour! :D

Maggy
01-10-2008, 22:34
Actually I do sort of see what Gary L is saying but can't see that saying it here is going to achieve anything much especially as he believes that VM don't listen to anyone anyway.:shrug:

Gary L
01-10-2008, 22:44
Actually I do sort of see what Gary L is saying but can't see that saying it here is going to achieve anything much

:confused:
I have been discussing it to my dog too. but I didn't expect that saying it to him was going to achieve anything either.
:shrug:

Maggy
01-10-2008, 22:53
:confused:
I have been discussing it to my dog too. but I didn't expect that saying it to him was going to achieve anything either.
:shrug:

Ok you just lost your only supporter...bye.

Gary L
01-10-2008, 22:54
Ok you just lost your only supporter...bye.

LOL just because I made you think?
and you being my only supporter too :)

bmxbandit
02-10-2008, 00:18
So the theory is if they don't provide it yet, you can't voice your concerns of them providing it in the future in the group dedicated to feedback on current systems, so they helpfully direct you to the correct group and let you go on your merry way.
you have to wait till they do provide it and then you can voice your concerns about you not wanting it in the feedback group, as it is now relevant.
Fixed ;)

Gary L
02-10-2008, 00:26
Fixed ;)

Drugs are for losers :D

Tarantella
02-10-2008, 03:12
Actually I do sort of see what Gary L is saying but can't see that saying it here is going to achieve anything much especially as he believes that VM don't listen to anyone anyway.:shrug:

Its not a question of not listening, its a question of a business making business decisions. Its a business decision by VM to express interest and have discussion with Phorm. Its a business decision that VM are waiting to see the outcome of the BT trials (on client behaviour and losses) and it will be a calculated business decision whether VM take up the technology. As such you really cant expect them to be browbeaten into making announcements before they are ready.

Toto
02-10-2008, 07:47
Gary, why are you telling us this mate.......if you have a beef with Fergal et al, why not go to that VM INTERNAL discussion group and discuss is there, you're flogging a dead horse here, let it go.

Gary L
02-10-2008, 08:44
Gary, why are you telling us this mate.......if you have a beef with Fergal et al, why not go to that VM INTERNAL discussion group and discuss is there, you're flogging a dead horse here, let it go.

Someone said the same thing when I posted on topic in the Nokia forum. I don't bother talking about phones in there anymore. I talk about bondage, fetishism and the smell of leather.
they haven't started complaining yet that it's a forum about phones and not about my perverted life.

I won't do the same here though. I'll just talk about something more on topic with the forum, such as aeroplanes and tropical fish.

Chris
02-10-2008, 10:06
Someone said the same thing when I posted on topic in the Nokia forum. I don't bother talking about phones in there anymore. I talk about bondage, fetishism and the smell of leather.
they haven't started complaining yet that it's a forum about phones and not about my perverted life.

I don't see what the policies operated by the moderators of the Nokia forum have anything to do with Virginmedia groups, or Cable Forum.

I won't do the same here though. I'll just talk about something more on topic with the forum, such as aeroplanes and tropical fish.

So long as you do so within our technology or lifestyle forum areas, you are of course welcome to do so.

I'm going to close this thread now, you have had more time to moan about the moderating policies of another forum than we would normally allow.

Consider yourself indulged. Go forth and discuss aeroplanes and tropical fish with a smile on your face.