PDA

View Full Version : Virgin and dl'ing music.

Northeast_user
01-10-2008, 09:19
Hello again. A while ago I heard that Virgin would be contacting people downloading music illegally, my question is am I dl'ing illegally if I am getting my music via "index's" (mods please remove link if it is illegal).

Link removed as requested.

Hugh
01-10-2008, 09:45
I haven't clicked on your link, but if the music is copyrighted and the copyright owners have not given permission for it to be distributed freely, it is more than likely (imho) that you are downloading illegally.

Maggy
01-10-2008, 09:50
Hello again. A while ago I heard that Virgin would be contacting people downloading music illegally, my question is am I dl'ing illegally if I am getting my music via "index's" (mods please remove link if it is illegal).

Link removed as requested.

What you are doing is illegal and not to be encouraged on this site..Please do not post such links again.If you are caught by the relevant authorities you will face prosecution at some point.

Northeast_user
01-10-2008, 10:00
What you are doing is illegal and not to be encouraged on this site..Please do not post such links again.If you are caught by the relevant authorities you will face prosecution at some point.

Thanks for the reply Maggy, The only reason I asked is that index's are found by a simple google search. There is no third part "torrent" software involved and the music/files are not put up for sharing, They are just "found". I've even found music files in some quite popular sites index's. Surely if the site does not secure their index's the content is public property.

cimt
01-10-2008, 10:05
Is this the thing where you use Google to find music instead of an illegal website? If so, showing how to do it is not illegal is it?

Northeast_user
01-10-2008, 10:11
Is this the thing where you use Google to find music instead of an illegal website? If so, showing how to do it is not illegal is it?

It's called an "advanced google search" And if Maggy is right in upto my neck in it as over the last two weeks i've dl'd nearlly 3gig of music through it. (thinking that it was ok to do so).

Maggy
01-10-2008, 10:19
You will be far safer joining respected sites where you pay to download music legally.

I'm sure that someone can suggest some of these sites..I myself tend to avoid the issue altogether by 'listening' to music online/radio/tv and then buying the CD...;)

chickendippers
01-10-2008, 10:20
Not paying for something (that you should be paying for) = stealing ;)

xspeedyx
01-10-2008, 10:28
Use Itunes its the way forward

|Kippa|
01-10-2008, 10:39

I like buying cds then making a Flac copy of it onto my computer, purely for personal use and not for distribution. Itunes uses lossy audio codec yes?

xspeedyx
01-10-2008, 10:42
not sure really dont use it myself

Stuart
01-10-2008, 11:22
I like buying cds then making a Flac copy of it onto my computer, purely for personal use and not for distribution. Itunes uses lossy audio codec yes?

Depends how you set it up. You can set it to mp4 (the default) or Apple's own proprietary lossless codec.

Wisnaeme
01-10-2008, 13:18

Itunes is the way forward?
Only if you like DRM limited tunes that only play on Ipods.
Ok, I know they are starting to move to non-DRM stuff but Itunes is certainly not the way forward. In the US Amazon is selling DRM free music and is taking a huge chunk out of Apple right now. This IS the way forward, and will come to the UK in time.

Maggy
01-10-2008, 13:25
So can anyone recommend a site(s) that the op could obtain legal mp3's for a nominal sum? :erm: :) without spamming of course...;)

xspeedyx
01-10-2008, 13:33
Itunes is the way forward?
Only if you like DRM limited tunes that only play on Ipods.
Ok, I know they are starting to move to non-DRM stuff but Itunes is certainly not the way forward. In the US Amazon is selling DRM free music and is taking a huge chunk out of Apple right now. This IS the way forward, and will come to the UK in time.

I need to start using smilieys or LOL's

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

So can anyone recommend a site(s) that the op could obtain legal mp3's for a nominal sum? :erm: :) without spamming of course...;)

Itunes
Zune
Play.com

Theres loads even napster

Wisnaeme
01-10-2008, 13:37
I need to start using smilieys or LOL's
Maybe! ;)

Anyway, I use http://www.7digital.com/

esdxc37
01-10-2008, 13:56
http://music.qtrax.com/

Halcyon
01-10-2008, 17:56
Well to start with he could try emusic.com which offers your a free trial where you get 25 tracks free.
Cancel before 7 days are up or before you go over 25 tracks and you get 25 free downloads. No catch.

www.emusic.com (http://www.emusic.com)

goblin
01-10-2008, 19:22
Easier methods are:

Buy one of these:

Intempo Rebel - Music Sampling System with FM Radio
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intempo-Rebel-Music-Sampling-System/dp/B001B4T9UQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222885163&sr=8-11

Or:

Radiotracker:
http://radiotracker.com/en/free_mp3_music_downloads/index.html

Both entirely 100% legitimate and less troublesome than illegally downloading ;)

HTH

Haighy
02-10-2008, 01:22
Is there a reason why nobody has mentioned Broadband extras ?
Not really tried it, well did get a few of the free ones as they were free.
They seem to have a ton of music on the Sonic Selector thing :-)