PDA

View Full Version : try again with virgin b-band device

Zoltan
30-09-2008, 23:48
Just had virgin installed

Net works fine on desktop

Before using wireless installation disk Plugged router in and was asked to register on a website
with www.routerlogin.com I think. I entered my desired ssid, Security passphrase - selected Channel: 06 and Router Password

My laptop detected signal and I tried to connect - just stalled with message saying acquiring network address - to no avail

Then installed the Virgin wireless program provided.

Went through all the steps, now tells me that the netgear router provided isn't from Virgin Broad band and I should use Virgin broadband device

Now I'm confused

Please help:p:

chickendippers
30-09-2008, 23:53
It sounds like you might have an IP address defined. Make sure your TCP/IP Properties are set to obtain IP address automatically.

Zoltan
30-09-2008, 23:59
It sounds like you might have an IP address defined
Forgive me but I'm a bit of a novice. Do you mean on my pc or laptop?

Make sure your TCP/IP Properties are set to obtain IP address automatically

On which machine and how?

Thanks

Zoltan
01-10-2008, 01:27
having problems accessing router with virgin wireless manager

I have already entered network name and password on an auto pop up website
(before using virgin wireless manager) after providing these I can not access net with my laptop and the wireless manager gives me the message (in the attached photo)

The router was supplied with Virgin b-band installation

please help

Raistlin
01-10-2008, 08:43
I've merged your two threads together, please don't open multiple threads for the same issue.

Thanks.

whydoIneedatech
01-10-2008, 08:49
First you need to fully uninstall the software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .
Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem
then follow the set up instructions here.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Both of these do not require the CD
------------------------------------------------------------------

Set up Wirelessly

------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't need the cd to set up VM routers, nor do you need a temporary cable connection, I have to do this a fair bit because the cd won't run on a Mac.
1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.
2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.
3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.
4. Happy surfing.
It is actually quicker than running the cd.
-----------------------------------------------

Set up using an Ethernet cable

-----------------------------------------------
Quick router set up for the V9
connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.
disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.
------------------------------------------------------------

Zoltan
01-10-2008, 10:22
That did the trick

Thanks very much

whydoIneedatech
01-10-2008, 10:24
That did the trick

Thanks very much
It should we do this every day;)