PDA

View Full Version : What now?

auldyin
30-09-2008, 15:22
I have the VIP package and apart from Broadband everything is ok.
Broadband is awful and the fastest download speed I have achieved is 5mb and the service dropped out more times than it was worth. I reported this and they identified a node(?) or something. This was repaired in jig time with the download speed never increasing but the dropping out stopping almost entirely.

I contacted VM and a very nice lady downgraded the service to 10mb and I saved a few baw bees.
Trouble is that the download speed is under 1mb and I have only had one drop out in 5 days.
I am using a router and am realistic about not achieving top speeds but where do I go now?

Cheers

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 15:28
Firstly can you post the usual power levels, SNR levels, frequency of the modem, also try bypassing the router (modem connected directly to the PC) and then do a few speed tests at different times of the day. This'll help the techies on the site point you at least in the right direction

auldyin
30-09-2008, 15:42
Thanks for quick response:

Firstly can you post the usual power levels, SNR levels, frequency of the modem,

Sorry to be such a PITA but I dont know what this means.

I have tried hooking directly to PC and speeds are still low but I know I wont get lightning speeds using a router. I can live with that because alternatives are few and far between.

Cheers

demented
30-09-2008, 15:45
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 15:48
when connected directly to the modem (might work through the router as well) type in http://192.168.100.1 and login using the details supplied (it tells you the default username/password) all the details asked for are within them pages. Please though do not post your mac address/serial number

southwell
30-09-2008, 15:49
You can do it whilst connected via a router.

auldyin
30-09-2008, 16:06
Thanks guys, I've been places today that I didn't know existed!!!

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1010
Hardware Version : 1.19

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 402750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.9 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Goods luck!!!!

Cheers

EDIT:
Download just now was 550kbps and upload 485kbps

southwell
30-09-2008, 16:51
Well to start with your on 4mb not 10mb. I don't know the rest :)

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 16:58
T

Incorrect, the 10240000 and 512000 data rates are for 10Mb down and 500Kb up

A techie should be about soon to check your power/snr levels ;)

kpanchev
30-09-2008, 16:59

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

He is definitely on 10 Mbits/s, the problem is how to measure the speed, be specific with Mbits and MBytes, there is a big difference!

southwell
30-09-2008, 17:02
Incorrect, the 10240000 and 512000 data rates are for 10Mb down and 500Kb up

A techie should be about soon to check your power/snr levels ;)
Yeah, that was my mistake, i read the Frequency by accident :p

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 17:03
Yeah, that was my mistake, i read the Frequency by accident :p

Had a feeling that's where you got the number from ;)

southwell
30-09-2008, 17:08
Had a feeling that's where you got the number from ;)
It's been a long day. :dunce:

auldyin
01-10-2008, 18:32
I take it that this thread is now effectively closed.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I will now refer the matter back to Virgin in the hope of some sort of resolution.

Cheers

chickendippers
01-10-2008, 20:08
Have you tried the virginmedia.support.broadband newsgroup? That will get you straight through to second-level techs without being fobbed off by the "someone will call you back" bs http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/

Axegrinder
01-10-2008, 22:28
Those levels are fine. ;)

Possible oversubscription on UBR?

auldyin
01-10-2008, 23:32
Thanks.

Don't know what this means:
Possible oversubscription on UBR

Cheers

middlefinger
01-10-2008, 23:48
Is there anything virgin can do for over subscription, im having the same problem and its doing my head in

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 06:28
Thanks.

Don't know what this means:

Cheers
The uBR is like a local exchange, oversubscription means that the may be to many customers connected to that uBR causing congestion so it needs to be upgraded to alleviate this problem.

auldyin
02-10-2008, 07:32
Thanks.
Makes sense now.

So its back to Virgin I suppose.

Cheers

middlefinger
02-10-2008, 08:24
The uBR is like a local exchange, oversubscription means that the may be to many customers connected to that uBR causing congestion so it needs to be upgraded to alleviate this problem.

How would I let virgin know that slow speeds are down to my local UBR being over subscribed and that it's causing me problems when using the internet? Im struggling to browse on 2 to 3 computers at the same time even though I am on 10mb due to only getting around 2mb between 6-10.30.

Is there anything they can do to help the problem, like making my speed not go lower than a certain speed?

Sorry to jump on this thread but there is no point starting another on the same subject.

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 09:28
How would I let virgin know that slow speeds are down to my local UBR being over subscribed and that it's causing me problems when using the internet? Im struggling to browse on 2 to 3 computers at the same time even though I am on 10mb due to only getting around 2mb between 6-10.30.

Is there anything they can do to help the problem, like making my speed not go lower than a certain speed?

Sorry to jump on this thread but there is no point starting another on the same subject.
Not really you would need to call in to tell them you have an issue.

Below are a couple of links regards Traffic Management.
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html
-------------------------------------------------

gjbxxx
02-10-2008, 11:10

They almost certainly know already and they don't give a ****. Expect it to get worse if they roll out 50MB to your area.

Gary L
02-10-2008, 11:21

They already know about the UBRs being over subscribed.

They could spend some of the money they get, but most of it goes to the bank that they owe money to and they paid mega bucks to them film stars to advertise for them.

Fatec
02-10-2008, 12:09
They almost certainly know already and they don't give a f***. Expect it to get worse if they roll out 50MB to your area.

Will get better actually, as 20Mbit users on being moved onto docsis3 frequences thus freeing up bandwith for the rest of the other tiers.

Course, this wont help much as VM will just see it as a way to push even more customers on!

D.Casey
02-10-2008, 14:03
I have the VIP package and apart from Broadband everything is ok.
Broadband is awful and the fastest download speed I have achieved is 5mb and the service dropped out more times than it was worth. I reported this and they identified a node(?) or something. This was repaired in jig time with the download speed never increasing but the dropping out stopping almost entirely.

I contacted VM and a very nice lady downgraded the service to 10mb and I saved a few baw bees.
Trouble is that the download speed is under 1mb and I have only had one drop out in 5 days.
I am using a router and am realistic about not achieving top speeds but where do I go now?

Cheers

Is your slow connection happening at all times dureing the day? or just at peak hours (say from 5pm until 10).

Also check for packet loss using this test:

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

Only takes about 30 seconds.

auldyin
02-10-2008, 17:02
Hi,
Slow connection all of the time.
No packet loss.

Cheers

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 19:39
Hi,
Slow connection all of the time.
No packet loss.

Cheers
Have you rang Tech Support to see what they have to say about your issue.

auldyin
02-10-2008, 20:13
I have not yet called tech support but will tomorrow.
They have already found a problem (node?) and fixed it but all that really happened was that I had fewer drops out.

Cheers

whydoIneedatech
02-10-2008, 20:20
I have not yet called tech support but will tomorrow.
They have already found a problem (node?) and fixed it but all that really happened was that I had fewer drops out.

Cheers
A node will in one of your green cabs an installation engineer will correct me if incorrect.;)

Kymmy
02-10-2008, 20:22
They almost certainly know already and they don't give a ****. Expect it to get worse if they roll out 50MB to your area.

Please mind your langauge, even semi-hiding the swear word still impacts a lot of meaning that is unacceptable on this family forum.
As for 50Mb it'll be run on a seperate system that eventually 20Mb should move to so should have no negative impact on oversubscription and should hopefully relieve some of it.