PDA

View Full Version : Moving Cable Modem

Slowlearner
30-09-2008, 10:55
Good morning to you all, I have what I thought was a simple poroblem but I'm failing to find a solution to it - maybe one of you can help.

I have a Virgin Broadband service to the house (as well as TV and Telephone) and I'm pretty happy with it. When they installed I requested that the cable be put into the loft wher my study is. It also goes into the ground floor where the TV is. I also have a network cable running from my cable router in the loft to a switchbox under the TV so that I can wire up my XBox and networked media center - all is fine. My router is also a wireless access point and unfortunately by the time the signal gets to the kitchen it has degraded quite a bit. What I would like to do is move the router to the front room so that the wireless coverage is improved.

I had my first go at this last night - I took the cable modem and router downstairs, wired up a new satellite coaxial cable to the modem and looked for a connection - the only I could see was a splitter that sat between the wall and the set-top box - it was labelled (from memory) TV and FM - I tried the cable modem in there. Wiring the rest up was easy and both desktop (in the loft) and laptop (in the kitchen) were able to connect to the router but no further.

So I guess that connecting the cable modem to the FM socket doesn't cut it - might have guessed. What next - call Virgin and get a professional?

Many thanks.

..slow

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 11:01
You could just get another wireless access point/switch (not a router, or a wireless router with NAT turned off) and put that on the end of the ethernet cable that comes down to the xbox...That way you can leave the modem where it is..

Slowlearner
30-09-2008, 11:05
Yep, and that's the option I'm probably looking at but I was hoping that the £5 cable might solve the problem rather than the £30 AP.

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 11:14
Not that easy as you'd be altering the cable in such a way that the signal levels would spike (you're removing a good portion of co-axial cable that acts to lower your signal) this will then possibly effect your STB and cable modem...

If you called in VM they would probably either remove the upstairs line and instead feed it the same place as the STB line, or they would just remove the upstairs line and t-piece the STB line to feed the CM...

xspeedyx
30-09-2008, 11:23
You could always pay £75 for Virgin Media to move the equipment for you

velocite
30-09-2008, 19:10
Can you not leave the cable modem upstairs, move the router to near the TV and run a second CAT5 UTP cable back up to the loft as a feed for your wired desktop?

Slowlearner
01-10-2008, 10:53
Thanks to you all for responses, I've opted to go for a second AP and have found a Chinese company posting Motorola APs from Guangzhou for £18.44 on Ebay so I'm happy.

..slow

MovedGoalPosts
01-10-2008, 11:18
Ordering from chinese based companies on ebay can be a risky business.