PDA

View Full Version : Connection capped tonight - Low Usage

Gar
29-09-2008, 22:38
Hello, all. I'm hoping that some of you will be able to shed some light on an issue I'm having.

Today my internet activity has been minimal. I watched some live broadcasts on JTV for a couple of hours, did some general browsing, and that is about it. However, at around 9pm this evening my connection suddenly got capped.

I am on a 4meg connection, due to be upgraded to 10meg. Yes, I am one of the unlucky ones in an unloved area. :erm: ;)

Anyway, I'm curious to know what could have caused the cap. I am connected to a wireless router, but I don't believe that anybody has managed to connect to it outside of my home. It is a Linksys Wireless-G, and security is enabled.

Could it perhaps be that the cap has been instated due to the imminent broadband upgrade?

Many thanks.

xspeedyx
30-09-2008, 08:56
Using live broadbcasts can use a fair amount of bandwidth depending on the quality of the broadcast I think the STM limit is 1.2gb on 10Mb best thing to do is download a bandwidth mointor and keep a eye on the usage, if you feel that you have been stm'd incorrectly post of the Virgin Media support newsgroups.

Hope this helps

Gar
30-09-2008, 14:29
Thanks, mate. Appreciate the response. I'll see about getting a bandwidth monitor and see how that works out.