PDA

View Full Version : What slimming diet works for you?

Tinky
28-09-2008, 12:18
.....or doesn't as the case may be?

Started my Christmas diet 2 weeks ago, thought I would try the Atkins diet, see how it went. This morning had bacon, eggs, sausages and mushrooms for breakfast yummy! So far have lost over 7lbs. Thought I would switch to Weigh****chers if Atkins didn't have the desired effect; but so far so good, will give it a go for another week. Anyone else dieting, what are your secrets? Or are you one of the lucky ones who never need to slim?

Kymmy
28-09-2008, 12:22
Atkins was proven that it's not the lack of carbs that make you lose weight but the diet just makes you change your eating habits for some weird reason.

Personally if I want to lose weight I go on a fruit/vegetable and seafood diet (seafood not SEEFOOD!!!!) As I love fruit and seefood it's ideal :)

zing_deleted
28-09-2008, 12:23

Started my Christmas diet 2 weeks ago, thought I would try the Atkins diet, see how it went. This morning had bacon, eggs, sausages and mushrooms for breakfast yummy! So far have lost over 7lbs. Thought I would switch to Weigh****chers if Atkins didn't have the desired effect; but so far so good, will give it a go for another week. Anyone else dieting, what are your secrets? Or are you one of the lucky ones who never need to slim?

So have you done it properly? less than 20 grams of carbs for the first period? No headaches?
It does work but it made me feel ill I know of others it has worked for. Chew gum and use mouthwash though as a by product of ketosis is smelly breath

Tinky
28-09-2008, 12:42
Atkins was proven that it's not the lack of carbs that make you lose weight but the diet just makes you change your eating habits for some weird reason.

Personally if I want to lose weight I go on a fruit/vegetable and seafood diet (seafood not SEEFOOD!!!!) As I love fruit and seefood it's ideal :)

Oh how I wish I liked fruit Kymmy, but it just does nothing for me. I make myself eat it, but I could happily live without it. Now fish I love, and I can have plenty of that on this diet.

So have you done it properly? less than 20 grams of carbs for the first period? No headaches?
It does work but it made me feel ill I know of others it has worked for. Chew gum and use mouthwash though as a by product of ketosis is smelly breath

Yes Zing, I have followed Atkins to the letter, no carrots and tomatoes etc, for the first 2 weeks. No headaches, and Mr Tink has been instructed to tell me if my breath smells. I do miss things like a bit of tomato sauce on my plate, and bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. To be honest I was disappointed that I hadn't lost more. It says you can lose up to 15lbs in 2 weeks. How is your weight doing? Have you managed to keep it off?

Enuff
28-09-2008, 12:54
Don't forget to exercise, you'll lose it even quicker, but see your doctor first.

zing_deleted
28-09-2008, 13:00
Oh how I wish I liked fruit Kymmy, but it just does nothing for me. I make myself eat it, but I could happily live without it. Now fish I love, and I can have plenty of that on this diet.

Yes Zing, I have followed Atkins to the letter, no carrots and tomatoes etc, for the first 2 weeks. No headaches, and Mr Tink has been instructed to tell me if my breath smells. I do miss things like a bit of tomato sauce on my plate, and bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. To be honest I was disappointed that I hadn't lost more. It says you can lose up to 15lbs in 2 weeks. How is your weight doing? Have you managed to keep it off?

Had a battle with it this year. Put a couple of stone back on but I am dieting again again lol still gotta be positive gaining a little is better than gaining it all back lol . This year has been pretty poop for me tbh I will be glad when its 2009

Tinky
28-09-2008, 13:20
Don't forget to exercise, you'll lose it even quicker, but see your doctor first.

I try to exercise as much as I am able Enuff, expect I will get more active the more weight I lose. At the moment doesn't take much to get me flagging.

This year has been pretty poop for me tbh I will be glad when its 2009

Sorry to hear that Zing, have been reading your posts. Please don't put it all back on, that will just make you even more miserable. Take Darla for longer walks. Are you still going to the gym btw? Think this year has been a totally miserable for practically everyone I have spoken to. Don't want to wish my life away (what little is left) but I too will be glad when it's over.

Eric55
28-09-2008, 13:33
Mr Tink has been instructed to tell me if my breath smells

If you lick the back of your wrist(where you take your pulse) and let it dry for five to ten seconds then sniff it, you will smell what your breath smells like.

zing_deleted
28-09-2008, 13:49
I try to exercise as much as I am able Enuff, expect I will get more active the more weight I lose. At the moment doesn't take much to get me flagging.

Sorry to hear that Zing, have been reading your posts. Please don't put it all back on, that will just make you even more miserable. Take Darla for longer walks. Are you still going to the gym btw? Think this year has been a totally miserable for practically everyone I have spoken to. Don't want to wish my life away (what little is left) but I too will be glad when it's over.

Yeah still training and fighting ;)

Delta Whiskey
28-09-2008, 15:35
I do a lot of walking along with a very low calorie diet. I've got to loose a lot of weight before a gallbladder operation in November. Walking two hours in the morning and one hour in the afternoon along with limiting myself to 800 calories a day has allowed me to loose three stone since July. As long as you eat plenty of bulky food, vegetables, fruit etc your body won't go into starvation mode and slow your metabolism down.

Russ
28-09-2008, 16:33
Diets don't work unless you intend to deprive yourself permanently of the food you enjoy.

Try Paul McKenna's "I Can Make You Thin". You can eat whatever you want and whenever you want as long as you're hungry.

homealone
28-09-2008, 17:30
In my opinion 'diets' are the wrong way to approach wanting to lose weight, as many seem to discourage having properly balanced nutrition.

The theory of a 'diet' is fairly simple, using calories as the common measure, if you use more calories than you eat, then you will lose weight.

It gets complicated because as you eat less calories, your body adjusts to also use less. (A calorie is just a measure of energy, after all). Hence why exercise is important to minimise that effect.

Atkins can work for some people because apparently protein is a major factor in the mechanism that tells the body it is 'full', so the actual calorie intake can tend to reduce.

However from a purely energy based perspective, protein & carbohydrates have exactly the same energy value - wheras 'pound for pound' fat has twice the energy value of protein or carbohydrate. So 'allowing' fat rather than carbs in Atkins has always been a puzzle, to me.

The only 'diet' plan I have seen that makes any sense to me is actually weight watchers, mainly because the 'points' are mainly based on calories & the recipes they suggest are actually delicious & well 'balanced'.

This would seem to tie in with Russ' point about being able to eat what you want, but changing how you view food & eating.

As already stated, anyone thinking of any sort of dieting should inform their doctor, especially if considering exercise beyond the normal activity level.

<edit> :LOL: the swear filter doesn't like weigh****chers as all one word :D

Russ
28-09-2008, 17:36
As long as you eat only when you're hungry, and stop when you're full, you won't put any weight on, it's as simple as that. Just eat a little slower and 'listen' to your body for when it tells you it's had enough, that's the secret.

Stay as active as possible (the above will only stop you from putting weight on - you need to be active to burn off what you've got) and you'll get to be the size/weight you want.

zing_deleted
28-09-2008, 17:38
or you could take steroids and weight train and really get to the size you want (obviously this is satire and I do not recommend this ;))

Enuff
28-09-2008, 17:48
Muscle burns fat. So the more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn.

homealone
28-09-2008, 17:56
Muscle burns fat. So the more muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn.

Muscle burns glucose, which is the 'universal' fuel used by the body - usually when energy is needed fat is converted to glucose by various metabolic paths, and stored fat 'should' be used first for this process.

However just having more muscle isn't enough - you have to use it - unused muscle can atrophy & be "replaced" by fat, although you cannot turn muscle into fat ...

zing_deleted
28-09-2008, 18:21
glycogen to be pedantic which in turn is broken down into ATP,s in the cells :)

homealone
28-09-2008, 18:35
glycogen to be pedantic which in turn is broken down into ATP,s in the cells :)

glycogen is the storage form of glucose, glycogen breaks down into glucose which is then converted to ATP :p: :)

I was trying to keep it simple goddamit ;)

joglynne
28-09-2008, 18:37
Jo swaps coke and popcorn for a stick of celery, a glass of water and settles down to watch. :D

Taf
28-09-2008, 19:05
Best diet? Eat less.....

My missus was piling on the pounds and blaming her insulin injections.... then she stopped eating or drinking anything with obvious fats in it... and the pounds slipped away with no real hardship...

Nidge
28-09-2008, 21:59
Remember this folks fat doesn't make you fat, it's the carbohydrates in food that make you fat, if you eat loads of carbs and don't burn them off they will be stored as fat, this will increase your body mass and add weight.

When people go on diets their fat cells shrink, when they shrink they also multiply so when you go back to normal eating you put on more weight because you have more fat cells.

Going onto the Atkins diet, this diet is a killer and is not recommended, basically your asking your body to use fat as fuel, the only time your body can use fat for fuel is when you take on good fats from fish, peanuts etc etc. After a few days on the Atkins diet you'll feel terrible, you'll have no energy you'll feel lethargic and dizzy, do not drive while on the Atkins diet because it can cause dizzy spells. When you've finished the Atkins you'll gain more weight when you return to normal eating.

The best diet to be on is the 6 meals a day diet, under no circumstances miss breakfast, this is the most important meal of the day, as they say in the nutritional trade keep the fire burning all day and you'll burn calories.

Below is a meal plan for a sedatory male office worker.

Breakfast High fibre cereal (like Weetabix, bran flakes, Shreddies, muesli, porridge, etc) + 200ml skimmed milk + 1 tsp sugar
1-2 slices granary bread (toasted) + olive oil based spread
200ml fruit juice
Mug tea/coffee

Mid-morning 2 oatcakes or home-made flapjack
Item fruit
Drink

Lunch Sandwich: 2 slices granary bread + olive oil-based spread + slice chicken/ham or tuna in low fat natural yoghurt or smoked salmon
Mixed salad
Low fat / low sugar yoghurt
Drink

Mid afternoon 2 oatcakes or home-made flapjack
Item fruit
Drink

Evening Meal 180g chicken breast or 200g white fish or 180g lean meat
3-4 tblsp basmati rice or 2 cupfuls cooked pasta or 1 medium potato
Loads of veg or large salad.

Evening 2-3 oatcakes or rye crispbread + low fat soft cheese
Drink

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

can tend to reduce.

The only 'diet' plan I have seen that makes any sense to me is actually weight watchers, mainly because the 'points' are mainly based on calories & the recipes they suggest are actually delicious & well 'balanced'.

This would seem to tie in with Russ' point about being able to eat what you want, but changing how you view food & eating.

As already stated, anyone thinking of any sort of dieting should inform their doctor, especially if considering exercise beyond the normal activity level.

<edit> :LOL: the swear filter doesn't like weigh****chers as all one word :D

Weight watchers diets are the biggest con this country has ever seen, they state that their meals are low fat or 1% fat, what percentage is the fat based on? It could be 500% 1000%. Take a look on the back of any weight watchers packet and you'll see it's loaded to the hill with carbohydrates like sugar and all the other nasties that Weight watchers like to add to their foods to make it taste nice.

I had a women come to me who'd been doing weight watchers for over a year, she'd put weight on even though she'd followed the diet strictly, I told her to save her money and not to bother going anymore, I devised a diet and exercise plan for her and within 6 months she'd lost 2 stone 8lbs, she went from a size 16 to a size 12. When she got down to her target weight I increased her daily calorie intake plus I increased her cardio vasuclar workouts, I also gave her a treat day which was to be a Saturday, this allowed her to eat and drink anything she wanted just for one day, this tricks the body into a better fat burning mode. She's doing well and keeping the weight off, she also told me that she's got more energy than what she had on the weight watchers diet and her dress size is still falling, she wants to be a size 10 for November.

tweetypie/8
28-09-2008, 22:29

dead easy tink,i cut out all the crap eating and hit the booze on the head and i have lost 1st3lbs over the past 4 months now down to 12st and feel a lot better for it.;)

homealone
28-09-2008, 22:39
Remember this folks fat doesn't make you fat, it's the carbohydrates in food that make you fat, if you eat loads of carbs and don't burn them off they will be stored as fat, this will increase your body mass and add weight.

When people go on diets their fat cells shrink, when they shrink they also multiply so when you go back to normal eating you put on more weight because you have more fat cells.

Going onto the Atkins diet, this diet is a killer and is not recommended, basically your asking your body to use fat as fuel, the only time your body can use fat for fuel is when you take on good fats from fish, peanuts etc etc. After a few days on the Atkins diet you'll feel terrible, you'll have no energy you'll feel lethargic and dizzy, do not drive while on the Atkins diet because it can cause dizzy spells. When you've finished the Atkins you'll gain more weight when you return to normal eating.

The best diet to be on is the 6 meals a day diet, under no circumstances miss breakfast, this is the most important meal of the day, as they say in the nutritional trade keep the fire burning all day and you'll burn calories.

Below is a meal plan for a sedatory male office worker.

Breakfast High fibre cereal (like Weetabix, bran flakes, Shreddies, muesli, porridge, etc) + 200ml skimmed milk + 1 tsp sugar
1-2 slices granary bread (toasted) + olive oil based spread
200ml fruit juice
Mug tea/coffee

Mid-morning 2 oatcakes or home-made flapjack
Item fruit
Drink

Lunch Sandwich: 2 slices granary bread + olive oil-based spread + slice chicken/ham or tuna in low fat natural yoghurt or smoked salmon
Mixed salad
Low fat / low sugar yoghurt
Drink

Mid afternoon 2 oatcakes or home-made flapjack
Item fruit
Drink

Evening Meal 180g chicken breast or 200g white fish or 180g lean meat
3-4 tblsp basmati rice or 2 cupfuls cooked pasta or 1 medium potato
Loads of veg or large salad.

Evening 2-3 oatcakes or rye crispbread + low fat soft cheese
Drink

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

Weight watchers diets are the biggest con this country has ever seen, they state that their meals are low fat or 1% fat, what percentage is the fat based on? It could be 500% 1000%. Take a look on the back of any weight watchers packet and you'll see it's loaded to the hill with carbohydrates like sugar and all the other nasties that Weight watchers like to add to their foods to make it taste nice.

I had a women come to me who'd been doing weight watchers for over a year, she'd put weight on even though she'd followed the diet strictly, I told her to save her money and not to bother going anymore, I devised a diet and exercise plan for her and within 6 months she'd lost 2 stone 8lbs, she went from a size 16 to a size 12. When she got down to her target weight I increased her daily calorie intake plus I increased her cardio vasuclar workouts, I also gave her a treat day which was to be a Saturday, this allowed her to eat and drink anything she wanted just for one day, this tricks the body into a better fat burning mode. She's doing well and keeping the weight off, she also told me that she's got more energy than what she had on the weight watchers diet and her dress size is still falling, she wants to be a size 10 for November.

The whole idea that 'carbs make you fat' is flawed - any excess food intake is stored as fat whether it be carbs, protein or fat itself.

It is a simple energy balance, if you use more energy than you take in, you will not put on weight - and fat is twice the energy value of carbs or protein.

The whole point isn't to 'go on a diet', but to eat sensibly according to your lifestyle & resultant energy output.

Weight Watchers doesn't have to be paid for, it is a method of working out calorific intake & doesn't have to mean buying food in packets or attending classes. Have you seen any of their actual recipe books??

- One question, if 'carbs make you fat' - how come the 'diet' you recommended had oats, other cereals, bread, pasta, potato, etc in it - when all contain carbohydrates?

I suspect the weight loss the woman experienced was more to do with the exercise regime, than the actual 'diet' she was following.

Don't get me wrong, I realise the term 'carbohydrate' is very general and refined carbohydrates, such as pure sugar, have a high glycaemic index compared to whole grains, etc, but statements such as 'carbs make you fat' are just confusing to people who don't have that knowledge. :)

Nidge
29-09-2008, 05:54
The whole idea that 'carbs make you fat' is flawed - any excess food intake is stored as fat whether it be carbs, protein or fat itself.

It is a simple energy balance, if you use more energy than you take in, you will not put on weight - and fat is twice the energy value of carbs or protein.

The whole point isn't to 'go on a diet', but to eat sensibly according to your lifestyle & resultant energy output.

Weight Watchers doesn't have to be paid for, it is a method of working out calorific intake & doesn't have to mean buying food in packets or attending classes. Have you seen any of their actual recipe books??

- One question, if 'carbs make you fat' - how come the 'diet' you recommended had oats, other cereals, bread, pasta, potato, etc in it - when all contain carbohydrates?

I suspect the weight loss the woman experienced was more to do with the exercise regime, than the actual 'diet' she was following.

Don't get me wrong, I realise the term 'carbohydrate' is very general and refined carbohydrates, such as pure sugar, have a high glycaemic index compared to whole grains, etc, but statements such as 'carbs make you fat' are just confusing to people who don't have that knowledge. :)

Carbohydrates not used right will turn into bodyfat, low fat meals eaten every day of the week will make you fat, I agree with the above post I didn't state the difference between refined carbs and complex carbs, refined carbs like sugar can and will be stored as fat if used on a regular daily basis, Quaker oats and whoemeal bread taken moderately will do you no harm and are a good source of carbohydrates.

To lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit, a persons daliy maintanence could be 2500 calories, if they stick to a deficit of 2000 they will lose weight, the diet has to be spot on and needs to be supplimented with good fats from fish and nuts both have omega 3, carbohydrates also need to be factored in at the right times for body fuel.

Tinky
29-09-2008, 08:58
Good advice all round.:tu:
Unfortunately I am one of those people who want a quick fix, well at least to start with (illogical I know). Even now I am having second thoughts about Atkins, because no weight loss since Wednesday, even though I am sticking to it like a leech. I know 'diets' are not a permanent solution, but I do not think I could permanently change the eating habits of a lifetime, after all these years.
Disappointed and starting to waver, must stay strong.:( I'll give Atkins another week, then have a rethink. Thank you all!

Angua
29-09-2008, 09:49
They actually did a test on various diets and the Atkins was just an unbalanced alternative method of reducing calories. Friend of mine used it a few times and is now considering a gastric band as she is around a size 30+ now, with sleep apnoea and heart problems. Husbands colleague has had a gastric band and is now a shadow of her former short & tubby self with other problems instead.

All the slim people I see seem to never stop eating, but just small amounts so Nidge seems to be on the best track. Sadly there are no quick fixes for permanent weight loss.

They have also discovered under eaters are likely to live longer too.

Delta Whiskey
29-09-2008, 10:16
You've got to be careful of 'quick fixes'. You will lose weight but your body will go into starvation mode and quickly slow down your metabolism to deal with the lack of food. Unfortunately when you start eating 'normally' again it takes a long time for the metabolism to recover to its previous rate so you put on a lot of weight. Regular exercise will help you lose weight quickly, walking works for me.

3.0 miles/hour (20-minute mile): Burns .027 calories/pound/minute.
3.5 miles/hour (17 minute mile): Burns .033 calories/pound/minute.
4.0 miles/hour (15 minute mile): Burns .042 calories/pound/minute.

For example, if you weigh 150 pounds and walk a 20-minute mile for 60 minutes, you multiply 150 by .027, then multiple the result (4.5) by 60. You burn 270 calories.

Tinky
29-09-2008, 11:29
They actually did a test on various diets and the Atkins was just an unbalanced alternative method of reducing calories. Friend of mine used it a few times and is now considering a gastric band as she is around a size 30+ now, with sleep apnoea and heart problems. Husbands colleague has had a gastric band and is now a shadow of her former short & tubby self with other problems instead.

All the slim people I see seem to never stop eating, but just small amounts so Nidge seems to be on the best track. Sadly there are no quick fixes for permanent weight loss.

They have also discovered under eaters are likely to live longer too.

Angua I am happy to say that I am nowhere near a size 30. I have been blessed with a healthy appetite, and I'm never likely to be an under eater, I like my food too much. I always thought that the idea behind Atkins was that fat eats fat. But if I reckon up my calorie intake at present (on Atkins) there is no wonder I haven't lost any weight. :erm:

You've got to be careful of 'quick fixes'. You will lose weight but your body will go into starvation mode and quickly slow down your metabolism to deal with the lack of food. Unfortunately when you start eating 'normally' again it takes a long time for the metabolism to recover to its previous rate so you put on a lot of weight. Regular exercise will help you lose weight quickly, walking works for me.

3.0 miles/hour (20-minute mile): Burns .027 calories/pound/minute.
3.5 miles/hour (17 minute mile): Burns .033 calories/pound/minute.
4.0 miles/hour (15 minute mile): Burns .042 calories/pound/minute.

For example, if you weigh 150 pounds and walk a 20-minute mile for 60 minutes, you multiply 150 by .027, then multiple the result (4.5) by 60. You burn 270 calories.

That's very interesting Peter, can't walk too far at the moment, get sore hips, but it will come. I wonder how our brains can tell which diet we are on lol? :dunce:

Scarlett
29-09-2008, 11:38
The local gym that I joined to start losing weight said that it's the patten of eating that is the problem. You need to make sure that you eat all your carbs during the day and not in a large meal at the end of the day. The evening meal should be a small snack.

Basiccalyl make sure that you eat a lot early and you body will use it during the day, apparently a fry up (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7460729.stm) is good for you as well

zing_deleted
29-09-2008, 11:40
If you eat no carbs your body goes into a state of ketosis where fats are burned a lot sooner in the cycle than they would normally. Bare in mind proteins burn easier then fats so if you do not eat enough you are more likely to burn muscle than you are to burn fat off so crash dieting does not work.

Little and often is the way as Nidge pointed out only do not be afraid of the carbs but the diet plan Nidge put up had quite a few complex carbs in anyway.

New scientist did a report on GI of foods and the jobs you do and how Low or high GI foods can help depending on what you are putting your brain through . I will try and find this but dont hold your breath

Tinky
29-09-2008, 12:04
The local gym that I joined to start losing weight said that it's the patten of eating that is the problem. You need to make sure that you eat all your carbs during the day and not in a large meal at the end of the day. The evening meal should be a small snack.

Basiccalyl make sure that you eat a lot early and you body will use it during the day, apparently a fry up (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7460729.stm) is good for you as well

Unfortunately Scarlett my Doctor says the gym is a no no for me. I really try to stay as active as I can. Since my first 2 weeks are up, I'm going to have another look to see how many carbs I am now allowed.

If you eat no carbs your body goes into a state of ketosis where fats are burned a lot sooner in the cycle than they would normally. Bare in mind proteins burn easier then fats so if you do not eat enough you are more likely to burn muscle than you are to burn fat off so crash dieting does not work.

Little and often is the way as Nidge pointed out only do not be afraid of the carbs but the diet plan Nidge put up had quite a few complex carbs in anyway.

New scientist did a report on GI of foods and the jobs you do and how Low or high GI foods can help depending on what you are putting your brain through . I will try and find this but dont hold your breath

Have been licking my wrist Zing to see what the breath is like lol! Apparently if your breath smells then that is an indicator you are in a state of Ketosis, no complaints from Mr Tink so far. Be interesting to see the report on GI foods though.

Angua
29-09-2008, 12:39
There is one quick fix.... Work in a freezer for a few months. :erm: The weight just dropped of Hubby whist he was doing this.

For those of us with joint problems swimming is the best exercise (trouble is not always the most convenient). Just very frustrating when your body conspires against you with things that slow you down without a corresponding loss of appetite. :fit:

Delta Whiskey
29-09-2008, 13:43
That's very interesting Peter, can't walk too far at the moment, get sore hips, but it will come. I wonder how our brains can tell which diet we are on lol? :dunce:

When I came out of hospital (after a two week stay) I had to start my walking regime from scratch. Day one was a slow walk to the shops and back, about one and a half miles, after two months I'm now back up to a two hour/six mile walk in the morning and a one hour/three mile walk in the afternoon. For my weight this amounts to 1300 calories.

homealone
30-09-2008, 00:18
Carbohydrates not used right will turn into bodyfat, low fat meals eaten every day of the week will make you fat, I agree with the above post I didn't state the difference between refined carbs and complex carbs, refined carbs like sugar can and will be stored as fat if used on a regular daily basis, Quaker oats and whoemeal bread taken moderately will do you no harm and are a good source of carbohydrates.

To lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit, a persons daliy maintanence could be 2500 calories, if they stick to a deficit of 2000 they will lose weight, the diet has to be spot on and needs to be supplimented with good fats from fish and nuts both have omega 3, carbohydrates also need to be factored in at the right times for body fuel.

thanks Nidge, that clarified it & makes sense :tu:

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

There is one quick fix.... Work in a freezer for a few months. :erm: The weight just dropped of Hubby whist he was doing this.

For those of us with joint problems swimming is the best exercise (trouble is not always the most convenient). Just very frustrating when your body conspires against you with things that slow you down without a corresponding loss of appetite. :fit:

good advice about the swimming, it is an excellent way to get exercise without putting strain on your joints - and taking it at a pace which suits, too :tu:

Interesting about the freezer, it shows how much energy you need just to keep going at -25°C :)

Chris
30-09-2008, 00:46
My recommendations ...

Keep away from Slimfast shakes, the principle sounds good but they just aren't filling and you will end up snacking ... so unless your snacking is very carefully controlled you can end up putting weight *on*. Especially when a slimfast shake taken instead of breakfast cereal usually means you're taking more calories at breakfast than you otherwise would have done.

Weigh t w a t chers points are a useful way of simplifying the art of counting calories and sat fats. To calculate weigh t w a t chers points without their cardboard calculator, use the following formula:

(Calories/70) + (Sat.Fat/4) = Points value (round up the result to nearest 0.5)

Of course, you need to know how many points you should be allowing yourself ... I'm 5'8"-ish, 13 stone, and currently on 28 points per day. I know this from having done WW years ago, unofficially, through mother-in-law doing it and passing on info.

The best advice of all is exercise. Go out for a walk at lunchtime. I'm having to force myself to do this at lunchtimes now I'm working from home because I'm not going round the shops in the city centre at all. Still, I have a superb forest walk behind my house so provided I can overcome the temptation of just lounging in my own kitchen next to the fridge, I'm sorted ...

Tinky
30-09-2008, 08:54
dead easy tink,i cut out all the crap eating and hit the booze on the head and i have lost 1st3lbs over the past 4 months now down to 12st and feel a lot better for it.;)
Well done tweety!

My working days are over alas. Didn't David Attenborough or someone do a programme 'Life in the Freezer' or summit?

When I came out of hospital (after a two week stay) I had to start my walking regime from scratch. Day one was a slow walk to the shops and back, about one and a half miles, after two months I'm now back up to a two hour/six mile walk in the morning and a one hour/three mile walk in the afternoon. For my weight this amounts to 1300 calories.
Good for you, you are doing well. Good luck for the operation in November. Keyhole?

My recommendations ...

Weigh t w a t chers points are a useful way of simplifying the art of counting calories and sat fats. To calculate weigh t w a t chers points without their cardboard calculator, use the following formula:

(Calories/70) + (Sat.Fat/4) = Points value (round up the result to nearest 0.5)

Of course, you need to know how many points you should be allowing yourself ... I'm 5'8"-ish, 13 stone, and currently on 28 points per day. I know this from having done WW years ago, unofficially, through mother-in-law doing it and passing on info.

The best advice of all is exercise. Go out for a walk at lunchtime. I'm having to force myself to do this at lunchtimes now I'm working from home because I'm not going round the shops in the city centre at all. Still, I have a superb forest walk behind my house so provided I can overcome the temptation of just lounging in my own kitchen next to the fridge, I'm sorted ...

Thank you Chris, I still have my W/watchers paraphernalia, but I wont say how many points I am allowed, as that would indicate my present weight lol.

Woke up this morning feeling more positive, even the scales have moved. Had a good talking to myself, and decided it was me who made me fat, so it's entirely up to me to fix it. Nidge your diet makes a lot of sense, will copy that for future use, and Zing keep up the good work! Gaz you should be on 'Eggheads'. Onwards and upwards!! Thank you all, once again.

LondonRoad
30-09-2008, 10:10
I adhere to the Homer Simpson diet to achieve my pot bellied, receeding hairline physique. I'm not strict though. I can't always get Duff beer so just consume this weeks special instead. :)

Delta Whiskey
30-09-2008, 13:51
Good for you, you are doing well. Good luck for the operation in November. Keyhole?

I'm hoping for keyhole, that's the reason I need to lose a lot of weight beforehand. The difference is a two day stay against a two week stay for normal surgery.

BTW, always weigh yourself at the same time of day and not more often than once a week, you're weight fluctuates during the day by up to four pounds (at least mine does) and it's easy to get fixated on the scales and end up checking every day (got the t-shirt).

Angua
30-09-2008, 14:31
I'm hoping for keyhole, that's the reason I need to lose a lot of weight beforehand. The difference is a two day stay against a two week stay for normal surgery.

BTW, always weigh yourself at the same time of day and not more often than once a week, you're weight fluctuates during the day by up to four pounds (at least mine does) and it's easy to get fixated on the scales and end up checking every day (got the t-shirt).

Good point & you are generally at your heaviest around 6pm or so (another reason to hate slimming clubs they always do the weigh in when you are heaviest) :dozey:

Also ladies are always heavier shortly before they are due :blush: or if that is no longer a problem, any weight you put on seems to settle round your stomach instead of your hips :shocked:

Enuff
30-09-2008, 14:37
Lipotrim worked for me, but it's expensive and dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it. I lost 5st in 4 month, 9lb in the first week.

Tinky
30-09-2008, 20:01
I adhere to the Homer Simpson diet to achieve my pot bellied, receeding hairline physique. I'm not strict though. I can't always get Duff beer so just consume this weeks special instead. :)

As long as you are happy harmitage, that's all that matters.

At the moment I weigh myself every morning, I am told that I shouldn't, and just restrict myself to once a week. I don't think I could stand the suspense.

I may be wrong, but a keyhole op is not always possible, I hope for your sake it is, there's heck a big difference between 2 day stay and two weeks.

Good point & you are generally at your heaviest around 6pm or so (another reason to hate slimming clubs they always do the weigh in when you are heaviest) :dozey:

Also ladies are always heavier shortly before they are due :blush: or if that is no longer a problem, any weight you put on seems to settle round your stomach instead of your hips :shocked:

You're right Angua, it has settled around my middle...........and my top, and my bottom lol!

Lipotrim worked for me, but it's expensive and dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it. I lost 5st in 4 month, 9lb in the first week.

Jeepers!! That seems a bit extreme. :erm:

shawty
30-09-2008, 21:05
For a full healthy balanced lifestyle, you need a healthy diet (food and drink) and good sleep, small meals, not big ones, execise and if you want to lose weight, burn of more calories then you take in.

Going on the diet is possibly the worst thing you can do, because you are just going to go back to the way you were once you stop the diet. You need to change your lifestyle rather than go on a diet.

Enuff
30-09-2008, 21:38
Jeepers!! That seems a bit extreme. :erm:

I think you can get it through certain Hospitals at half the price. Ketosis kicks in about 2 days after you start it.

Tinky
01-10-2008, 08:09
For a full healthy balanced lifestyle, you need a healthy diet (food and drink) and good sleep, small meals, not big ones, execise and if you want to lose weight, burn of more calories then you take in.

Going on the diet is possibly the worst thing you can do, because you are just going to go back to the way you were once you stop the diet. You need to change your lifestyle rather than go on a diet.

I know what I should be doing shawty that's the thing, but for me it's just not that simple or desireable. Changing a lifetime's habits is out of the question. I'd rather have quality of life rather than quantity. So I will plod on with the Atkins for the time being.

I think you can get it through certain Hospitals at half the price. Ketosis kicks in about 2 days after you start it.

My doctor once prescribed Xenical for me and the side effects were unspeakable! :shocked: Will persevere in my own sweet way Enuff, see how it goes. Thanks all the same.:tu:

shawty
01-10-2008, 18:04
I know what I should be doing shawty that's the thing, but for me it's just not that simple or desireable. Changing a lifetime's habits is out of the question. I'd rather have quality of life rather than quantity. So I will plod on with the Atkins for the time being.

My doctor once prescribed Xenical for me and the side effects were unspeakable! :shocked: Will persevere in my own sweet way Enuff, see how it goes. Thanks all the same.:tu:

The atkins diet will do more bad than good, so why even bother staying on it. No point in dieting what so ever, so I would get that out of your mind. Just come off the atkins diet for your own health. No point going on a 'diet' if you cant be bothered to change your lifestyle, so why even bother.

Fingy
01-10-2008, 18:21
I found that getting pregnant, having bad "morning" sickness for 6 months, then running round like a mad woman after a newborn with reflux who vomits all the time works. Walking loads with the pram and lugging the car seat about the place, walking around the house for hours on end helps too... oh and forgetting to eat.
All worth it though, little bundle of vommitting joy and weight loss. :)

Angua
02-10-2008, 10:41
I found that getting pregnant, having bad "morning" sickness for 6 months, then running round like a mad woman after a newborn with reflux who vomits all the time works. Walking loads with the pram and lugging the car seat about the place, walking around the house for hours on end helps too... oh and forgetting to eat.
All worth it though, little bundle of vommitting joy and weight loss. :)

Breast feeding did that for me :D

Trouble is since stopping smoking 5 years the weight has piled on :mis:

Another handy tip is to keep a daily food diary (and no cheating). Apparently people who do this are more successful in losing weight. BBC Linky (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/reaching_diary.shtml)

Delta Whiskey
02-10-2008, 12:54
Another handy tip is to keep a daily food diary

I agree, I use a program called Diet Power (http://www.dietpower.com/) to log all my food intake and exercise routine. It helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

zing_deleted
02-10-2008, 12:59
www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) is another good one logs everything online and has a big food base

Delta Whiskey
02-10-2008, 16:57
www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) is another good one logs everything online and has a big food base

I like this one, especially the free on-line version.

Bex
06-10-2008, 16:02
i don't actually believe in diets per se. Recently I decided that I wanted to lose weight so rather than go on a diet (which I knew I would be tempted to cheat on) I have changed my approach to food. I have reduced my intake of fatty sugary foods - but when I fancy choccie I have some. I have stuck to eating a lot of fruit and vegetables and have stopped skipping breakfast. I have also reduced my intake of caffeine and mainly drink water at work now! I have started doing more gentle exercise, such as walking! I have also started eating my food slower and stop as soon as I feel full rather than thinking I have to finish what is on my plate. The results have been pretty good actually - i have lost over two stone within the last 3 months! my skin has improved and I feel a lot happier in general. So "diets" don't really work - plus if you diet, once you start eating again you may put the weight back on, which is counter productive.

PC Virgin
11-10-2008, 16:06
When I diets I do the high protein, Low carbs and keeping off any fatty foods and yummy treats (Crisp, chocolate, etc) This is my diet:

Breakfast: Porridge with boiled water and a table spoon of pure honey
Morning snack: Small handful of either Grapes, Nuts, Raisins
Dinner: 2 Rivitas with low fat cottage cheese
Afternoon snack: Same as morning snack
Tea: Any white meats with low carb veg

Tips - Drink plenty of water, Always exercise first thing in the morning before you eat your 1st meal off the day, I always go for a good long walk, This diet is always successful and you can guarantee to lose 2-3 in the 1st month depending on you sticking to it and you dont cheat.