PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Connection

WilliamBQStar
27-09-2008, 17:39
Hi i was helped last week with my ethernet connection brilliantly - So i thought tomorrow i will try to connect a Router - I looked at the installation guide for the WGT624 and it says - 1. Make sure you have your broadband Internet Service settings handy . and 2. The computer ( Samsung V25 ) is configured to obtain an IP Address automatically via DHCP.
Does anybody have an Over 60's idiots guide for these 2 things that can start me off please ??

LondonRoad
27-09-2008, 19:34
Have you had a look in the articles section. There's some very useful stuff in there that should go a long way to helping you. Try that and if there's anything you're unsure of post again.

Thomas.Fisk
28-09-2008, 05:43
If your computer works when plugged straight into the modem, then it should work if you plug it into the router. You shouldn't really need to change anything.

Just plug the router into the modem, and the computer into the router, and it'll probably work fine.

Dai
28-09-2008, 07:08
As he says, although you may find you need to power-cycle everything for the IP addresses to be adjusted for the new setup.

snowey
28-09-2008, 08:42
As he says, although you may find you need to power-cycle everything for the IP addresses to be adjusted for the new setup.

And dont forget !! a good security password, to stop someone hijacking your connection ....

Kymmy
28-09-2008, 09:39
A WGT624 should have DHCP set to on for getting both the internet IP and also giving out a LAN IP via a wired link. Also the default wireless settings should be on a sticker on the bottom of the unit.

Default IP for these is 192.168.1.1 for HTTP'ing into the config menu. If you;re not getting a LAN IP then reset the router

dave6x
28-09-2008, 11:57
I have the same router and agree with Thomas.Fisk, mine was really just a matter of plugging in and switching on.

However don't forget to set up the wireless security as soon as you have the router up and working!