PDA

View Full Version : Will Credit Agencies See My Change of Name!

i-Set
26-09-2008, 01:55
Basically I changed my name via deed-poll a month ago. Gave it to the bank to change and they said all done. Now here comes the messy bit, I applied for a phone contract, I gave my existing bank details but just gave the new name but it got rejected twice, my thinking is that the new name that I gave did not match the banks details which uses the old name.

So cleverly I tried to order the contract in my old name and bank details and guess what it worked. Am I right in thinking that even though I have changed my bank details into the new name, companies who use credit checks will see the bank details in my old name and hence rejecting me if I apply under my new name?

btw the name was changed by the bank properly but im just worried companies will see that the new name name doesnt match with the bank details as it still connects to my old name .Should I close my existing account and open up an entire new account under my new name?

Chicken
26-09-2008, 02:15
Its probably the same as when you change address. The database(s) used by lots of companies is basied on the electrol roll register and as such can be out of date by upto a year or sometimes even more.

Russ
26-09-2008, 02:18
Having done this in the past, any company you deal with who are regulated by the FSA (such as your bank) are bound by law to inform Experian etc about any significant change of details, such as your name or address. They have either 30 or 60 days in which to do it, can't quite remember now.

If you do change your name, be sure to inform the council who, if they are efficient (ie if they aren't like Port Talbot Council) will update the electoral register. It's adviseable to hold off any applications for credit for a few months so everything can be properly updated.

i-Set
26-09-2008, 02:31
^^^^ quick replies thanks

Russ...so say other credit companies or for example mobile companies, when they do a search on me when applying for credit, will they see my existing bank account in my old name when i first opened the account...or my bank account in my new name.

if they see my old name with my bank account...can i ask Barclays to close the account under my old name when i first opened it...then allow me to open up a new account fresh with my new name just to put my mind at rest?

Ive just registered on the annual canvass thingy should be up and running by December...also after it has been updated how long will it then take agency's to see that i am on the register?

Russ
26-09-2008, 02:37
^^^^ quick replies thanks

Russ...so say other credit companies or for example mobile companies, when they do a search on me when applying for credit, will they see my existing bank account in my old name when i first opened the account...or my bank account in my new name.

if they see my old name with my bank account...can i ask Barclays to close the account under my old name when i first opened it...then allow me to open up a new account fresh with my new name just to put my mind at rest?

Ive just registered on the annual canvass thingy should be up and running by December...also after it has been updated how long will it then take agency's to see that i am on the register?

When they do a credit search they'll see you have a bank account in your current (new) name, but that you had a major detail of it (ie your name) changed.

Get copies of your document (I hope you did a signed declaration which costs £5 and not an actual deed poll which costs upward of £30???) to everyone you can think of, your bank, Tax Office, DSS, DLVA (if applicable) because if you do miss someone out, credit reference agencies get narky and think you're up to something and will refuse you.

Once the electoral roll has been updated, it usually shows up with the credif people in around 30 days.

i-Set
26-09-2008, 02:43
oh okay...all my questions answered thanks lol...i can sleep now with a light head

my bank did not accept a a deed-poll, because the official stamp at the bottom was not raised hence they couldnt feel it...so they did not accept it. i payed 15 quid for it :(

im now worried that the dvla will not accept it...just got to wait and see i suppose but if it doesnt work im reporting the online site i bought it from....it says on their site that deed poll is accepted in all government offices. link below...off topic but you think my credit company will refund the 15 quid because of a false description of the purchase?

http://www.ukdeedpolls.org.uk/

Russ
26-09-2008, 02:43
If anyone else is thinking of changing their name, do NOT pay £30 or £40 for it like some solicitors charge.

Just copy and paste the document at http://www.gorge.org/experiences/deedpoll-wording.shtml and replace the red with the relevant details.

Print it out on A4 and take it to a solicitor who should charge you no more than £5 for him or her to sign and stamp it.

And that's all there is to it.

Banks etc will accept that document as proof of name change although some will want to see the original document ie photocopies not accepted. DVLA will only accept originals.

The above document is exactly what I used and I've had no trouble whatsoever.

Kymmy
26-09-2008, 10:44
You don;t even need a solicitor, as long as it's a upstanding member of society it'll be fine...

Jenna and I changed our last names for the partnership...

Also as already stated in answer to the original question, if you change your name and then inform the bank then the credit history will follow you...The only way around this (but gawd knows why you;d want to..) is to change your name, change all your official documents (Pasport/DL) and then apply for household services/bank accounts in your new name...

Avoiding a credit reference agency isn;t against the law but beware more and more services/agreements are now asking "Have you been known as any other name" which by law you have to tell them and by not doing so you are breaking the law as you;re getting a contract by fraud.

Russ
26-09-2008, 10:46
You don;t even need a solicitor, as long as it's a upstanding member of society it'll be fine...

Not quite true - Halifax and Nationwide for example will only accept the document if signed and stamped by a solicitor.

Kymmy
26-09-2008, 11:14
Not a deed poll then but actually a statutary declaration. They're both name change documents but one needs to be signed/stamped by a solicitor, the other can be done by anyone...both perfectly legal and acceptable by banks (Halifax accepted mine OK, as well as the passport office and DVLA) but I think it's who you get at the bank as most wouldn;t know the difference between the two documents ;)

In this country you can also adopt a name by common usage, this needs no documentation at all and is a bit of a minefield with legality.

Russ
26-09-2008, 11:34
I used a statatory declaration and neither my 2 banks of the DVLA would accept it without a solicitor's stamp and signature.

Kymmy
26-09-2008, 11:37
Yep, as I said a Stat dec needs a solicitors stamp a deed poll doesn't but both perfectly legal and acceptable by all official agencies

SMHarman
26-09-2008, 20:26
Most has already been said but if you pull your credit report it will detail all the names you are known by, even for those that have never changed their names this will normally be populated. Sometimes with misspellings, usually with your name with middle name etc.
Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Paul Smith
Jonathan P Smith
Jon P Smith
Jon Smith
etc

i-Set
27-09-2008, 15:01
Most has already been said but if you pull your credit report it will detail all the names you are known by, even for those that have never changed their names this will normally be populated. Sometimes with misspellings, usually with your name with middle name etc.
Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Paul Smith
Jonathan P Smith
Jon P Smith
Jon Smith
etc

wow cool thanks for the answers btw...if anyone else wishes to add to this post, please do so :D

Alien
27-09-2008, 20:23
If anyone else is thinking of changing their name, do NOT pay £30 or £40 for it like some solicitors charge.

Just copy and paste the document at http://www.gorge.org/experiences/deedpoll-wording.shtml and replace the red with the relevant details.

Print it out on A4 and take it to a solicitor who should charge you no more than £5 for him or her to sign and stamp it.

And that's all there is to it.

Banks etc will accept that document as proof of name change although some will want to see the original document ie photocopies not accepted. DVLA will only accept originals.

The above document is exactly what I used and I've had no trouble whatsoever.
I did mine via the C.A.B. Just had to see a JP, & swear that the new name would be what I would be using from then on. Then just had to take the document they gave me to the usual places to notify them of the change. I don't think I had to pay anything, but I'm not 100% sure, as it was back in the '90s.