PDA

View Full Version : Sloooooooooooow internet

indie1982
23-09-2008, 17:32
This is on behalf of my father who keeps ringing me to tell me his Internet connection has decided to slow to a crawl.

Since last Friday his connection has been incredibly slow, browsing the Internet is painful, it's down to KB/s speeds, he's on the 2Mbit package.

I went round there today thinking that it's just his wireless router going dodgy but I can't seem to find anything wrong. I took my MacBook Pro over there as I know there's nothing wrong with my mac.

Connected it to the wireless network = slow
Connected it via ethernet to the wireless router = slow
Connected it via ethernet directly to the modem = slow

The wireless network is protected with WPA2 and MAC filtering so no one is hijacking it and even with the modem connected directly to my MacBook Pro it's slow also.

The only thing I noticed on the modem config page is that the Downstream SNR level is a bit high, nothing amazingly high but I don't know if that could be causing it? He is on Teesside, don't know what platform that is though.

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address :
IP address :
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.52 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 36.25 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 47.00 dBmv

Anyone got any ideas?

Axegrinder
23-09-2008, 18:00
Downstream power is abit low. Apart from that there fine, possible oversubscribtion on the UBR?

indie1982
23-09-2008, 18:10
I suppose it could be.

Yesterday I struggled to get to adobe.com to download Acrobat Reader, today when I went round I could get to it but it would only download at 20KB/s, sometimes the speed tests max out at 200KB/s but sometimes they barely go over 20KB/s.

Axegrinder
23-09-2008, 18:20
If its slow in the evenings, and fast in the mornings it has to b e oversubscribtion ;)

whydoIneedatech
23-09-2008, 18:22
NTL or Telewest as the Downstream is fine for Telewest.

Ignitionnet
23-09-2008, 18:37
It's fine for ntl as well, comfortably within tolerance :)

saabmania2
23-09-2008, 19:06

yeah vm tolerance!! so that's anywhere between 1kb's and upto 20mb anything between those 2 and vm say your connection is fine (but if the problem persists then it must be your computer as it's not a problem our end) ring any bells lol :D

whydoIneedatech
23-09-2008, 19:13
Possible issues though when it gets a bit on the low side, depending on the connection.;)

PAYNEARDO
23-09-2008, 21:26
same problems here still in not so sunny cleethorpes

I was getting a massive 56K on downloads earlier !!!

improved slightly to between 0.6MBs and 2.3 MBs.

also took 2:13 mins to load this page and 37 seconds to post my message !!!

:(