PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 20mb

robcpfc79
22-09-2008, 20:58
Hi

I've upgraded my virgin media broadband to 20mb (from 2mb) and the new modem arrived today. I have installed it and registered + activated it but i'm still only getting 2mb. When I plug the ethenet cable directly from the modem into my pc and disconnect my router I get the full 20mb but when I then plug the ethenet cable from my router into my Pc I only get 2mb.

Any ideas? I don't think I have my router set up properly. Which cable goes where?

AbyssUnderground
22-09-2008, 21:28
Hi

I've upgraded my virgin media broadband to 20mb (from 2mb) and the new modem arrived today. I have installed it and registered + activated it but i'm still only getting 2mb. When I plug the ethenet cable directly from the modem into my pc and disconnect my router I get the full 20mb but when I then plug the ethenet cable from my router into my Pc I only get 2mb.

Any ideas? I don't think I have my router set up properly. Which cable goes where?

Check you don't have QoS enabled on your router. This could hinder performance, as happened to me once by accident.

robcpfc79
22-09-2008, 21:53
Qos is disabled on my router. I think I have my router set up wrong because if I just plug the ethernet cable straight from my modem to my pc I get the 20mb.

SteevieNiteHeat
22-09-2008, 22:05
Qos is disabled on my router. I think I have my router set up wrong because if I just plug the ethernet cable straight from my modem to my pc I get the 20mb.

It might help if you provide your router make & model!
As a rule, the ethernet lead from the modem goes into the WAN port of the router (sometimes says Internet) and your computer can connect to either port 1-4 of the router!

Also, have you power cycled everything before swapping things around?

"Cable Modem Operation Configuration" tab